Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm unsure but...I THINK Lexi tried to play with Max?

She was sitting on top of her crate. Max was about 6 feet away from her, on the floor. He had his back turned away from her and wasn't paying the slightest bit of attention. I saw her sit up a little and start wiggling her butt, then she jumped down to the floor, ran over to Max and batted him in the back with her paws. Max whipped around like, "WHAT THE HECK?!?" and Lexi ran off.

Before it happened, she didn't show any sort of agitation. Her ears weren't back, she wasn't growling, hissing or swishing her tail. She looked normal...I didn't notice her staring at Max or anything beforehand.

So I'm THINKING that my fearful foster cat, who acts for all the world like a cat that has been abused, initiated her very FIRST attempt at play with one of my cats. :clap2: It's only taken 3 weeks, which I actually feel is good progress.

In other news about her: She is getting spayed and vet checked Thursday. It's taken bit longer than I like to get it done but I had a minor issue with the shelter who is paying for half her spay. It finally got worked out today, so the spay is a go...:)

More recent pictures:

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
That does sound like progress! Yay! I think she'll improve quickly.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That does sound like progress! Yay! I think she'll improve quickly.
:) I'm so happy about this. I never expected it. I was just standing the sink, filling up a water bowl for Uallis and watched it happen. I swear my jaw hit the floor. I wonder where she'll be in another 3 weeks behaviorally? LOL!! I'm hoping that she'll try to initiate play with Max again (Gus is a no-no as he hates her) but Max is pretty safe. He didn't react to it other than with surprise. Hopefully, she saw that nothing "bad" will happen and keep trying. I wish so much for her to have a "normal" life, without fear. I want her to play with us and other cats and just have FUN!! She's still a kitten for heaven sakes! lol

She is so pretty.
She is, isn't she? Both of my cats are males and so are my dogs, so having a female in the house is nice for me. She is just so...dainty and girly looking. She will soon be up for adoption but I secretly wish I could keep her. :)

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They don't really treat her any differently than they treat Max or Gus. Eddie is pretty good at ignoring the cats, but I wouldn't EVER trust him loose and unsupervised around them. Uallis is a little bit worse. Technically, I say he's NOT cat friendly but he's not so much cat aggressive either. He pretty much teases the cats but because of his size he, also, is NEVER around the cats unsupervised as he could very easily kill or severely injure one of them without even trying. The dogs are confined with gates so they don't have free run of the house because of the cats. The upstairs of our house is also a dog-free, cat friendly "zone".

As for how SHE does with the dogs? Not well. Before tonight I would have said, and have many times, that she dislikes other cats and dogs. However, I think with time that she would improve. I think she has a lot of potential; she just needs to have a VERY patient, understanding owner, who will give her what ever time she needs to adjust.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More progress. :) She is still really interested in Max. I can see her sometimes THINKING about pouncing on him but then change her mind. lol She'll allow Max to get fairly close to her but will freak if Gus does the same. Honestly, I don't blame her for that because Gus is a jerk who will NOT leave her alone. He'll get in moods where he'll constantly follow her around and stare at her. She's crated at night and I've had to resort to covering her crate because he'll just sit in front of it and stare. I think she prefers Max because he just leaves her alone but he isn't afraid of her either.

She was spayed today. :) She's home now and doing well. She tested negative for FeLV and FIV and was vaccinated. She is on antibiotics for an eye infection. She is to go back in about a month for a booster and then she's set!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts