Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Sebastian we could probably do indoor-outdoor. Honey... hard to say how she'd do, she's been indoor all her life. Trixie was outdoor with her first set of owners previous to her rescue and then adoption to me, she doesn't have full range of motion in her hips and has anxiety. She needs to be medicated daily and does not like to be outdoors. So she is strictly indoors.

Sebastian jumped my 5th floor balcony before we moved and did fine for 3 days outdoors... before we got him, he was outside too. We're planning to get him a harness so he can go out on our 9th floor balcony under supervision. Honey as well since she appears interested if Bastian is out there (they're lovers).

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I try not to (we have two males that escape often). Why? Because they're a nuisance to my neighbours and local wildlife. I remember one day looking out my bathroom window only to witness my cat taking a dump in the children's play ground.... I know a lot of people don't like cats crapping in their gardens and scaring away/killing the birds at their feeders.

That and there is also rumour of a cat killer in our tiny town (they found a dismembered, previously-frozen cat hidding in the ceiling of the boys' bathroom in the local highschool).

Then there's the fear of them getting smushed by cars. Our one male is not very road safe..

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
Yep.

I know it's not the safest thing to do, but I know my area and risks to them are as low as they're going to be anywhere (which isn't to say there are no risks) and keeping them inside when letting the dogs in and out has proven to be a failing proposition. Two of the girls RARELY go out and usually only onto the screened porch, we manage to keep the kitten (8 months old) in, still (though I doubt that will survive this summer when the dogs are outside more, but the fourth came with the house, she's always been indoor/outdoor, and even keeping her inside during the coldest snaps overnight is challenging.

We're rural, traffic is low, all the neighbors have outdoor cats (or indoor/outdoor) cats and have been spoken to make sure they aren't going to be angry/resent them. They do damage to wildlife, there's nothing to stop wildlife from doing something to them, but after 5 years I've given up. I will not, however, be having any more cats once these are gone. If we have any at all, they will likely be the result of a stray moving in, but it won't be purposefully accquired. I don't like them outside for a lot of reasons even here, AND I don't like litterboxes at all, which is a fail/fail proposition.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I've had barn cats and house cats. Honestly, with barn cats you just have to accept that some of them are going to be eaten by wildlife or run over or whatever and not get too attached. We've always captured our barn cats to take them in and get them fixed, but new ones just sort of wander in and take up residence occasionally, so the supply tends to replenish itself even if you don't allow barn kittens.

I haven't and wouldn't let a cat suitable for being a pet be an outdoor cat (unless it's in a screened cat run or something like that, which doesn't really count). It's a death sentence for most cats and it's annoying for anyone who lives in your vicinity. Pet cat and house cat are synonymous as far as I'm concerned.

No cats currently and no plans to get one.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
No. I've tried to bring her outside on a harness and she freaks out. She's never had a desire to go outside. The area I'm in has too many people and roads. In more rural areas I don't have a problem with people letting their cats out as long as the neighbors are too close.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We had barn cats and house cats while I was growing up.
And like Parus said you can't get attached to the barn cats, they live a maximum of 5 years and a lot of the kittens don't survive the winter. We fed our barn cats cream, but they mostly ate mice and rats (so it was good to have them around). My favourite barn cat, Casper lived to be 10 years. She was abandoned on our farm one day and was very personal so we assumed she use to be a pet.

My first cat, Snowbell ,was an indoor-outdoor and licked anti-freeze off the driveway and died at age 3.
My second cat, Berbank, was an indoor-outdoor and was killed by something (probably coyotes) as we found his torn up bloody corpse after we only had him for a year.
My third cat, Prancer, was indoor-only after the previous experiences and lived a happy long life until she was 14.
My current cat, May, is indoor-only and my husband's first pet ever. He won't even let her out on the balcony.

Sometimes I feel bad keeping the indoor-only cats inside because they always stare out the window longingly.
But I don't want to take the risk.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Nope. And I don't even feel guilty. When I was younger one of our cats was accidentally let out during a birthday party. The next morning we found him after he had dragged himself to the front door from the bushes. He had been attacked by a loose dog apparently (we never saw the dog, but his injuries were consistent with a dog attack according to the vet). It really broke my heart and I would be devastated if something like that ever happened again.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Sadly yes and I HATE it. My last outside cat tragically died due to poisoning. My current cat was supposed to be strictly indoor but my dad keeps putting her out. Or she darts out in a blink and won't come until she does her walk around the yard.
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
nope
Lilac is allergic to everything and isn't that smart, so she's probably die. She has only gotten out once before because of a dumb high as a kite roommate opening up every door in the house. He no longer lives with us anymore due to a laundry list of issues.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
We had barn cats and house cats while I was growing up.
And like Parus said you can't get attached to the barn cats, they live a maximum of 5 years and a lot of the kittens don't survive the winter. We fed our barn cats cream, but they mostly ate mice and rats (so it was good to have them around). My favourite barn cat, Casper lived to be 10 years. She was abandoned on our farm one day and was very personal so we assumed she use to be a pet.

My first cat, Snowbell ,was an indoor-outdoor and licked anti-freeze off the driveway and died at age 3.
My second cat, Berbank, was an indoor-outdoor and was killed by something (probably coyotes) as we found his torn up bloody corpse after we only had him for a year.
My third cat, Prancer, was indoor-only after the previous experiences and lived a happy long life until she was 14.
My current cat, May, is indoor-only and my husband's first pet ever. He won't even let her out on the balcony.

Sometimes I feel bad keeping the indoor-only cats inside because they always stare out the window longingly.
But I don't want to take the risk.
Casey is leash trained! She still goess out off leash but she also goes out on leash. My next cat will also be leash trained so they can join me outside. Honestly on days its 80 and sunny Casey loves going on Tue porch and sun bathing! We are supposed to be getting our porch enclosed so then she will only be allowed on the porch or outside on leash

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Strictly indoors. Royal Paine is so old, I just do not even know how old this cat is. He has been around foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I think him being an inside cat is what has helped him live this long. Roy loves sleeping with the dogs and even eats with them. The cat really has some issues

My other cat is indoor only too It is her choice. She was supposed to be a barn cat and she decided nope that was not going to be her lifestyle She is also getting up there in age.

I no longer have any barn cats. Prior to LGDs, the cats disappeared real fast. Probably coyotes? I miss them but then I do not miss the little tiny paw prints all over the car, mower or whatever item. When these two cats go, I am like CPT Jack in the no more. I am not a big fan of the whole litterbox thing either.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Mine are indoor outdoor. And they always have been, same with my famiy's cats while we were growing up.

While growing up we only had two cats go missing--Jack who became feral and Mango who sadly just disappeared. My other two cats I had from when I was a kid were indoor outdoor and they both lived to be about 13-14. My mom's cat right now is indoor outdoor too, he's about 7 or 8 and she's had him since he was a kitten. She does what I never do though--my cats are not allowed outside after dark. She lets Moose roam around for days sometimes.

China mostly only likes to go outside to sit on the porch, and Icarus does explore and kill mice a lot. Icarus drives me crazy after not going outside for a couple days, and I think their lives are more enriched for being indoor outdoor. Our apartments have always been kind of out of the way, and I don't see the danger as super high. Especially at our new place. When we move into a house it will also be on a couple of acres so I won't have to worry about car traffic. But like I mentioned, I basically trained them to come in at the tap of can or shake of a food bag and they're called in every night before dusk.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
We have always left a door/ window open for our cats- its their choice- 18 years in SF one cat would climb down 3 flights of fire escape to our shared garden (very lush and green) the other one chose not to.
Here out in the sierras, but with a road on our frontage, there is risk as well- and one kitten out of our 4 did get hit by a car last year.
Its a risk we accept. They are pets and working kitties as well. They do a great job keeping the rodents out of our feed, and the wild birds out of the poultry feeders....
So indoor/outdoor for our guys. They are all fixed though, so I think that does help with roaming..

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
always had barn cats who were outside cats with indoor access just depends on the individual of which they chose.. Azamet is my first indoor cat with no free access to outdoors. training with him outdoors since he arrived so when I go out with the dogs Azamet can come too.. And he is slowly evolving to truly following the dogs.. When I peeped around the barn to check on him "get a visual" I found Azamet laying with Adele and Arka who were waiting at the barn door for me to come back out lol lol ... So only supervised outside time during the day and then back in the house when I come back in.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I do not allow my pet cats outside. Mainly because I have a lot of cats and I don't think the neighbors would stand for it, but even after I move to the acreage, probably not, because I don't want to lose any :/. If I lived farther off the road, MAYBE. My parents allow their cats out, and always have since they moved to that neighborhood, and have never lost a cat to outdoor-related causes, but they do recognize that it could happen. The amount of risk is dependent on highly individualized factors.

BUT, of all issues of cat-keeping, it is the subject I'm most meh about. Some cats do not do well as housecats. I would prefer their owners allow them outside than kill them for bad behavior. Litterbox issues are a major cause of death in pet cats. A lot of pet cats get absolutely zero enrichment, and I would prefer those cats' owners let them out than let them sit around all day dying of boredom and obesity.

As long as they're spayed/neutered of course. I would like to strangle anyone who allows their cat to reproduce, indoors or out.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Every single one I've ever owned, with the exception of the female I have now, have been outdoor cats. Every now and then, I will allow her outdoors with supervision. She enjoys.. maybe, about, all of two minutes, and she's had her fill and is ready to go back inside. But, short answer.. yes, guilty!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Yes, mine goes outside. We kept him in all winter due to him being a nuisance to the neighbor (they kept feeding him and allowing him in their house, so their fault really!). He is for mouse patrol out here. We are on 5 acres but we do have neighbors. Well, I won't poison the mice because I have dogs/cat and I don't want secondary poisoning to happen. So anyway, the cat is a true working cat, he does catch lots of mice and voles. He does come in/out on his own accord. I emailed the neighbor and said due to mice we need to let him out again, please do not feed him, and shoo him away rather than letting him in their house. They say they will cooperate, so that's good!

I realize there is risk as far as wild animals hurting him or being hit by car, but so far he's been smart enough to avoid these things. Plus he is a big, big cat, so predators might think twice before attempting to make a meal of him.

Will not get another cat after this. Hate the litter box and the shedding.He's also not one bit cuddly and won't let you pet him. He will actually shrink away if you try to pet him. And cat food stinks! It's so much stronger than the canned dog food, gross.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Unless they are on a leash and harness, absolutely not.

I live in an urban area -- there are wayyyy too many risks.

That, and 5+ years involved in cat rescue makes me dislike the idea of indoor/outdoor cats in urban areas because I have seen soooo many cats get killed as a result of this lifestyle (hit by cars, attacked by another cat/dog, catching FeLV/FIV, etc.).

They also kill tons of wildlife.

Every rescue I have worked with will not adopt out to someone who lets their cat out. And I think it's the responsible thing to do unless you live in a rural area.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Cats die outside. That simple.

Draevyn is strictly indoors, Killian comes and goes as he pleases. He doesn't leave the yard and he's not exactly a hunter.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts