Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I heard my male and Female cat making the cat fight noises, so I went to go check on everything, my female was hiding under the bed and my male was also under there, I put my hand towards him(big mistake) and he grabbed my arm and I have 10 bite marks on my forearm, not scratches but bites, I'm thinking he was very mad because of this stupid stray that comes around, lays on the window sill or infront of the window, no growling or anything but its like he likes to see Woody(my cat) get worked up.. I am going to try and trap that cat since he wont go away and turn him into AC... I went to the ER since the bites started swelling ASAP and severe brusing, I had to get a few butterfly stitches since 2 bites wouldnt stop bleeding and a lovely tentnus shot plus antibiotics... what a wonderful day yesterday, toothache all day then that, now today both arms are so sore..

My daughter thought I was getting rid of the cat, I got home from the er and she was sleeping with their collars and tissue :(

·
Registered
361 Posts
Keep a CLOSE eye on those bites. We had one girl out of work for 8 weeks after getting bit 14 times on the arm. The original antibiotics weren't enough and she ended up in the hospital for a week on IV antibiotics and they weren't sure she would maintain use of her arm (infection got into the tendon).

A couple of weeks after that we had another girl get bit. Again the antibiotics weren't enough and ended up overnight in the ER on IV antibiotics. Luckily for her that was enough and she was back to work after two days and feeling fine.

LOL that all sounds so bad. We went a loooong time with no bites and then they all seemed to hit at once (I ended up on antibiotics for a dog bite around the same time).

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
my mom's hand swelled up like a ballon after jut one cat bite and she said it hurt like hell. Cat bites are NASTY!!

·
Registered
434 Posts
I think something like 90% of cat bites get infected. I know that I heard some scientists actually proposed that cats evolved to have nasty mouths to kinda help kill their prey (I guess kinda like komodo dragons which are not venemous but have such high bacteria/contagions in their mouth that they bite their prey and wait for it to die from infection). I don't believe it cause I don't see how easily infecting your prey when you are an animal that tends to kill right away (rather than just wait for hte prey to die) is all that helpful.

But, point is their mouths are so nasty some scientists think it may be some sort of evolution thing.

It's one of my reasons that declawing to protect the kids is a horrible reason to declaw (ok, I admit, I only like declawing to protect the cat and I have heard of one instance it was for hte cat's benefit as it was scratching itself to being raw, was a mental issue, and nothing they could do could get it to stop). But, it's one of the worst reasons to declaw cause honestly, I'd rather my cat scratch my kid (if I had one, heh) if the cat gets annoyed rather than feeling she has to resort to biting cause she has no claws. And in my experience most cats like to resort to scratching first before biting (unless they are really stressed/upset).

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Yeah definitely keep an eye on it. Cat bites really can get horribly infected!

I've always wondered why it's not acceptable when a dog bites a human but cats can get away with it:rolleyes:
We often wonder this at work! We have some cats that are just insanely untouchable and just plain evil! We have some cats that the owners can't even handle. I think they are WAY more scary than ANY of the terribly aggressive dogs I've encountered.

You don't train a cat, you work with him ;) (cats don't believe anyone but themselves are alpha :D ).
But annoyingly enough, this is true! While I have two cats...I don't really care for most lol. I work with them every day, but I have met WAY more evil cats than nice ones, and you can't do anything about it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
But annoyingly enough, this is true! While I have two cats...I don't really care for most lol. I work with them every day, but I have met WAY more evil cats than nice ones, and you can't do anything about it.
Honestly, I love cats. But they do not deal with being out of familiar territory (in general) well. They're not like dogs where they can handle being taken out of their territory and have fun. So in general, unless you see them in their home environment, they really aren't acting their normal (they are under stress and will act it). And, on top of that, they are not evolved from an animal that was top of the food chain so they have instincts saying many more things are scarey and they must defend themselves and fight (if you are prey, you are more likely to be eaten if you run than if you fight).

And honestly, I've met more nice ones than evil ones, even working at the vet clinic as a receptionist (cept when it comes to nail clipping. Cats are much worse about nail clippings than dogs and are far more likely to fight you tooth and nail about it).

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
And honestly, I've met more nice ones than evil ones, even working at the vet clinic as a receptionist (cept when it comes to nail clipping. Cats are much worse about nail clippings than dogs and are far more likely to fight you tooth and nail about it).
Lol, I wish I'd met more nice ones! I have many that are my favorites, but we tend to see a lot of terrible cats at work. Although I am sure most of them are nice at home; I have met so many people who cannot even handle their cats at home. It's bizarre.

But then again I think I live in a dog town more than a cat town. We have a LARGE feral cat population and a lot of people have taken in feral cats as their own...which clearly explains the aggressiveness of the cats I've met lol.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was feeling bad yesterday, not sure if it was from the bites, or my toothache or a both. I am going to try and force myself to feel better today, I was in bed ALL DAY.. I felt bad I didnt play with the dogs and they stayed downstairs so I could rest, when they went potty my daughter played catch with them, so they got a bit of playtime, most of the bites don't hurt today, only the ones that are very deep, they are real bruised.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
I agree with the others that you need to keep a VERY close eye on the bites for swelling, pus or cellulitis (where you can see the inflamed veins in your arm). If you do see this it's back to the ER for you and probably IV antibiotics. Since you are already not feeling well, with the toothache, your immune system is already compromised and it will be harder to fight any infection.

I always said I would rather deal with over a hundred pounds of nasty dog than ten pounds of frightened nasty cat. We dealt with a lot of animals other vets wouldn't take at the vet I used to work at...most were fine at home, but out of their own familiar spaces they became crazed. It's sad really..they are convinced they are fighting for their lives in many cases. We even had a special anesthesia "tank" so we could gas the cats to sleep to work on them without handling them too much.

As for the situation at home with the stray, I agree you need to find a way to get that stray away from your house. If you cannot catch him I would recommend putting a repellent on the outside window sills area where he tends to hang out to keep your boy from having more episodes of displaced aggression. It's very common in animals to displace their stress towards whatever happens to be near them, be that another animal (like your female kitty) or towards you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since I stayed in bed all day yesterday I didnt set the trap, I am going to do so tonight, I spoke with a guy that used to trap raccoons and he said Sardines would attract the cats, I did trap a few cats when I was looking for my own weeks ago when he escaped. but they were not strays, real shiny coats well fed and I did notice one of them going to my neighbors the other night down the road, I think I will go have a chat and see if this other one is theirs as well, since he looks healhy, he could be the twin to my cat only difference is he is a little bigger and his white fur patch is on the opposite side of his body... I swear its like he lays there and thinks " haha you cant get out so Im gonna piss you off and lay in your yard, or on your window sill" LoL stupid I know but still.,

I will try the trap but I will also buy the deterent since it keeps rabbits and things away and they wont eat my plants, my friend said also to buy a feliway difusser, it puts off scents to calm cats down that live in Multicat homes, Woody will be fixed but not until Sept (earliest available)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I will try the trap but I will also buy the deterent since it keeps rabbits and things away and they wont eat my plants, my friend said also to buy a feliway difusser, it puts off scents to calm cats down that live in Multicat homes, Woody will be fixed but not until Sept (earliest available)
I like the feliway difuser a lot. I don't think it guarantees that your cats will calm down, but it's worked really well with mine.

We sell them at the clinic I work at so I brought one home the two times I introduced a new cat to the family. I think it helped them calm down enough to get a long much faster than they would have normally.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have 6 cats and the 2 youngest ones are biters if you make them mad for whatever reason like getting them off the chair that I want to sit on (little buggers) and the oldest one attacks Dakota our dog just because he feels like it. I heard this saying once and it goes something like this:

If you were stranded on a boat in the middle of nowhere and had a cat and a dog with you and you died of starvation, the dog would die with you and the cat would eat you to survive.

I really believe this would probably be true:p

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Cats are more practical and more "for themselves". Dogs generally seem to live for you, rather than just themselves. =P

I'd rather deal with an angry cat any day, though. XD Angry dogs scare me, and while I am afraid of what a cat can do to me, I know how to handle them much better than I do a dog. I've dealt with a lot of angry cats so far, and have been bitten only a couple of times, nothing severe enough to go to a hospital.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Cat bites suck:( They get infected so easily.

My cat snickers does not get away with biting or scratching people at all. When she was a kitten every day I walked her down to the vet office (it was just down the road) and we went in, they sat her on the table and gave her a little treat and we left. When ever she bit or scratched someone she got tossed into the bathroom for a time out. Now she just growls if she doesn't want to be touched, but will not scratch or bite, just get louder with her growling.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I have to echo others in saying to watch that bite like a hawk. I am still sporting a nice four point scar on my leg from my neighbors evil cat. That sh*t HURT like nothing else. I was on antibiotics for two months. No fun!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Cat bites suck:( They get infected so easily.

My cat snickers does not get away with biting or scratching people at all. When she was a kitten every day I walked her down to the vet office (it was just down the road) and we went in, they sat her on the table and gave her a little treat and we left. When ever she bit or scratched someone she got tossed into the bathroom for a time out. Now she just growls if she doesn't want to be touched, but will not scratch or bite, just get louder with her growling.
That's cool. I've been trying to work with my cat Ludo on a leash, but he quit cooperating. I think "time out" sort of things work well for some cats. Ludo is TERRIBLE for his nail trims and they just don't respond to positive reinforcement as well as dogs do (if at all for some cats). He gets growly, but that's it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts