Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously, there's a cat-napper around. Not picking up strays - this is someone who will go around and pick up cats that are clearly house cats and belong to someone.

I don't let my cats out, but one of our cats just escapes and manages to get out every once in a while. We've been lucky that one of us has caught him right away, but what about people who aren't so lucky? Can you imagine losing your cat and hoping he comes home and going to the local animal rescue and finding out that, not only have they also not seen your cat in a week with sweeps but that dozens more are just MISSING and VANISHED

http://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/news-story/5918478-cats-vanish-in-vanier/

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think people expect their cats to be picked up by a stranger. Animal control, yes, and what about people who don't let their cats out and have them accidentally escape?

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
I presume people don't expect their outdoor cats to be hit by a car either but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

Accidents are one thing, but when you allow a cat outside unsupervised you're assuming some level of risk of that cat not coming back.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I don't think people expect their cats to be picked up by a stranger. Animal control, yes, and what about people who don't let their cats out and have them accidentally escape?
I'm sure people don't expect their outdoor cats to be killed by a coyote or fox either, but it happens all the time.

And what about cats that accidentally get out? What does that have to do with this story? They would be at risk also.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just don't think a person should be walking around snatching up cats. That's why I don't let my cats out, I'd rather have them alive, but 23 cats in 20 days?

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
People do really unspeakably cruel things to cats.

But there is a lot of presumption in that story. There's no proof that someone is stealing cats, just cats let outdoors that didn't come home which... isn't really that unusual. In the same area... eh, again there could be lots of other explanations.

I guess I'm just saying that there are a bazillion risks to cats let outdoors, one of which is mean spirited people doing bad things to them. So while yes it is terrible and sad for the cats, that's one of the risks you run.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
People do really unspeakably cruel things to cats.

But there is a lot of presumption in that story. There's no proof that someone is stealing cats, just cats let outdoors that didn't come home which... isn't really that unusual. In the same area... eh, again there could be lots of other explanations.

I guess I'm just saying that there are a bazillion risks to cats let outdoors, one of which is mean spirited people doing bad things to them. So while yes it is terrible and sad for the cats, that's one of the risks you run.
Agree a million times with this. Humans are just another kind of danger that you expose your cat to if you let them out.

But as a person who has had kitty escapees (indoor only), I sympathize with the stress/anxiety of thinking that there's a person out there snatching cats!

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
IF a person is snatching them, it's clearly for some cruel purpose, because there's no resale market for adult cats and nobody wants that many pet cats. Or it could be that some local coyote is especially hungry or someone has put down particularly tasty poison for a wild animal. It's tough not knowing :(.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The area in which the cats are disappearing - the most common reason for the cats to be killed is cars. It's right in suburbia, no coyote sightings ever, if I recall correctly. More likely to run in to a stray dog, and even those are scarce in the area. So, unfortunately, I believe Willowy is right - cruel purpose or hoarding (which is in itself misplaced kindness turning into cruelty)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I agree with the owners of escapee cats.
My cat is the ultimate escape artist. He'll hide in a tipped over boot at the back door and rip outside as soon as it opens. As well as he can unlock the door and open it with some time on his own, though this has been handled by a dead bolt that's both out of his reach and difficult to open even as a person.
We have spray bottles located at the doors and he respects them to a degree. I can stop him from getting out every time, but he gets past my roommate almost every time he door rushes.

My dog is also trained to take him down when he gets out, but he's significantly more agile than her. He'll usually come back by supper time, but the last time he got out he was gone for 24 hours which just made me sick.

We have a Lost and Found Pets of ____ page on Facebook. With people posting about their lost pets all the time and it really opened my eyes to how awful people are. I didn't used to worry so much when he got out because he always came back before dark and he never escapes during winter. But even on the page dedicated to animal owners and most likely animal lovers keeping an eye out for pets. There's people commenting on posts about cats who say if they caught a cat in their flower bed they'd be driving him/her out to a farm and leaving it there. Someone even confessed to having done that on more than one occasion.
Or when people complain about cats in their backyard a lot of people suggest poison, but mostly people will offer to place a trap down and relocate them for the person.
Also a lot of cats that go missing here are often relocation attempts. When found they're on the complete opposite side of town, or found wandering on one of the farms just outside of town.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
23 cats in 20 days in suburbia is human activity.

I suspect that it's a misguided "rescuer" sort. Some people feel very strongly about outdoor cats. Very, very strongly. I can see that turning into "saving" the outdoor cats by capturing them and forcing them to live inside the rescuers home. that many cats is bound to end very badly, no matter the intentions.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
23 cats in 20 days in suburbia is human activity.

I suspect that it's a misguided "rescuer" sort. Some people feel very strongly about outdoor cats. Very, very strongly. I can see that turning into "saving" the outdoor cats by capturing them and forcing them to live inside the rescuers home. that many cats is bound to end very badly, no matter the intentions.
The area is a hot bed for cat hoarders and they seem to believe that is who is picking up these cats.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
That seems unlikely to me. Well, if it is true they should be looking into why there's so much mental illness in the area. Maybe something in the water :p.

I'd be looking into whether a sketchy research lab has opened in the area. Labs are required to scan for microchips but the smaller ones can get away with not doing it. In the US anyway. I'm not sure how Canadian labs are regulated. Someone might be doing a study on the effect of hollow-point bullets on varmints. . .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts