Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 cats and a dog. I am switching my pup form Canidae to Merrick. I want to switch my cats from their nasty petsmart bought food to a healthy food. My local healthy pet store (which i wil be starting to work at on monday!) only carries dry Felidae for dry food. I am switching the pup because he doesnt seem to do too well on the Canidae new formula (that some people have had probs with as well). I was wondering if anyone knew if the Felidae was ok?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Felidae is very good....my cats REALLY liked it, so much so that they started gaining a lot of weight and I had to switch to something less appetizing, LOL. I don't think they've changed the formula recently or anything.

What brand are they on now?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Premium cat food nutrition is essential for your cat's good health. Cats nutritional needs are very specific and the nutritional quality of cat food is one of the most important factors in cats' health and longevity.
I will help you out with the basic requirements of "What to Look for On the Label" when you visit a pet store to buy your pet food.
  1. The words "complete and balanced" should be on the label. Government agencies regulate what can be put on pet food labels, so food with these words should be healthier for your cat.
  2. Depending on your cat's life stage, the words "kitten," "adult," "senior" or "all life stages" should be on the label. Make sure the cat food you buy is the right one for the age and life stage of your cat.
  3. An AAFCO statement. This shows that the food has passed rigorous feeding tests.
  4. The first ingredient listed on the label should be an animal protein, such as chicken, fish, liver, or beef. If the first item listed is not an animal protein, move on.
  5. The "dry weight protein" listed should be at least 26% for your healthy adult cat. Kittens need even more protein and a premium cat food brand that says it's specifically for kittens should have a higher level of protein.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I switched all the cats to Grain Free Evo. You have to be careful with the dry.. High calories and they will get FAT.

It is better to feed cats wet food over dry. Cats are desert animals and are designed to get most of their moisture from their food and some cats do not have a good mechanism telling them they need to drink.

Due to cost of canned and having 5 cats I feed dry and wet food. I have one cat who is on Methimizol for Hyperthyroidism and she really needs to eat canned food but refuses it. I add water, heat it a little, add tunafish water, chicken broth.. anything to get her to eat it and she will eat about 2 tablespoons and then ask for dry food.

I took my cats to the vet recently and the vet was impressed by their over all condition on Evo. In fact, he as so impressed I have switched the dog over to Evo as well and she is looking great too!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts