Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im unhappy with the food i have been feeding lately. so i thought i would look for a new cat food. i have a 5 month old kitten and a 1 year old. it cant be too expensive and needs to come out nice in the end. any suggestions. also i live in New Zealand so im unsure where to buy food aswell.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I don't know what foods are available in your area. I feed my cats Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul (made by Diamond). They do well on it, don't throw up too much, and the litterbox odor isn't too bad. Felidae is also a good option.

Since you're bound to have different brands than are found in the U.S., just look for a food that has a lot of meat-based ingredients, and not a lot of grains. I like to see at least 3 meat ingredients in the top 5 ingredients.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I was actually just going to ask this question... glad to see it came up here!

Just curious, are there any foods at Walmart that are cat-approved? We usually just feed Purina, because we don't live anywhere near Petco/Petsmart or any of those other big-time stores.

Ah, what I wouldn't give to have a Petco around here!

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Yep, Maxximum cat food from Wal-Mart is pretty good. I used to buy it , and my cats did great on it, but since they don't sell it in big bags, for me it actually costs more per-pound than the big bag of Chicken Soup. Purina ONE (the one with chicken as the first ingredient) is OK, too.

Cat food is more complicated than dog food, IMO. You'd think cats would always do better on a high-meat food, because they're obligate carnivores, but they don't always follow the rules, LOL. If you find a food that your cats truly do well on (not barfing too much, good urinary health, not-too-stinky litterboxes, not too much shedding, etc.), don't mess with a good thing!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hm, never heard of Maxximum, but next time I'm their I'll look for it... and Purina One. Heh, I didn't know they had Purina One for cats; our dogs are on that right now.

-sigh- Cats are definitely much more difficult than dogs, haha. Heck, we have more cats than we have ever had dogs... and usually they don't all like the same thing. It's very difficult to feed them, because oftentimes they stick their noses up at it... unless it's canned food. But yeah, they definitely are much more complicated than dogs, hehe.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I fed Science Diet but it is full of corn.. so I switched to Innonva Evo.

Had to take Fireball in for her follow up and my vet said he could not believe the difference in her over all physical health. Told him I had changed her food since with her sick I wanted every mouthful to count. He told me that the No Graincat and dog foods were absolutley the way to go and the condition of this cat (who is hyperthyroid and may have pancreatitis) was proof.

Meanwhile my OTHER 4 cats are looking phenomenal. Naughty the Fat has lost weight and his coat is much better. Curly is looking shiny. Peanut looks really good and Oliver is looking great too.. shiny coat! They are not free fed and they do not act like they are starving all the time like they used to. I feed them measured amounts (read the bag) and they typically take a while to eat.. not ravenous.

Next, when I get near the end of this bag of Canidae, I am thinking of trying to switch Atka over to Evo dog food as well.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I rotate between Natural Balance, Natura products (Innova, EVO, California Natural), Wellness, Felidae, Blue Buffalo, etc. Canned food is best for cats (I feed once a day), so I use kibble only for a treat.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Hmmm....do you have any feed stores (the kind that sell horse feed and chicken feed, etc.) around? Many of them have some decent dog and cat foods, too.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Have you ever read the ingredient lists on all the foods? IDK, there might be a pretty decent food right at your grocery store. Hard to say, since I have no idea as to the pet food situation in New Zealand. What brand do you feed your dog? Do they have a cat formula?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for that link elana,

ill have a better look through it later. at the moment i feed the cats purina one, but even though its the best food i have found the cats just aren't as happy and shiny as i would like.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts