Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I would say use this! Do some sessions with him on leash, if you can try to predict when the cat might get playful, hang out nearby and when you see things start hold the leash and treat good interactions. Caeda and our cat Hemi have chase games, but we've got it to the point now that if Hemi is "caught" it is relatively good. So long as Caeda is being gentle, its ok. If the cat cries or whines I try to figure out if she is being a drama queen (sometimes she cries if Caeda sniffs her....drama queen moment). If its drama, I leave it be (hey, she doesn't want it she shouldn't start it), or just call Caeda over to me. If Caeda is wound up, which still happens occasionally and is a little too rough or doing something that I'm not ok with (cat's head in her mouth!!! YIKES, incredibly gentle, but I don't like it!) I'll tell Caeda no, call her off, and if I have to tell her "Bad" (previously known cue from bite inhibition teaching) sometimes I"ll pull her off, though that is uncommon these days. We area at a point now that they often cuddle on the bed, or nose/lick each other (yup, the cat licks the dog).
One other thing I've done, which may or may not be ok with you is a squirt gun....for the cat. Caeda LOVES the squirt gun, so it just distracts her, Hemi HATES it, so it serves the dual purpose of telling the cat that she's being a jerk, and distracting Caeda at the same time. I'm not a huge fan of it, but it has curbed the habit Hemi had for a while of climbing Caeda's legs using claws (and somehow never got bit for it!)
Sassafras is right, it takes a long time and a lot of work, but when you see that cuddling (or gentle play) its so worth it. Cats can be such jerks sometimes lol.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
AAHHHHHH SO CUTE! It took AGES for us to get Caeda and Hemi to get that close and be calm! Looks like you've got a great start. Honestly, I would suggest keep doing what you are doing. It'll take some time (lots) for the puppy exuberance to calm down, and it'll take a while for the cats to get more used to Hamilton. Our other cat Ollie has just started getting better about being near Caeda, just last night he actually came up on the bed with her there!!! He stared at her, cuddled us for a bit, looked at Caeda again and then hissed suddenly and took off (I don't think Caeda did anything but blink!). It took a year for them to be less than 6 feet apart without at least one of them (usually Ollie) freaking out. Having the pets together like in your picture really reinforces that being calm allows them to all hang out with you, but if they get hyper and start battling obviously they can't do that anymore.....overall reinforcing that being calm with each other is a good thing. Just watch for any excessive play as Hamilton gets older and bigger and you'll (likely) be fine. With cats and dogs together, even if they seem fantastic there's always a risk, but if that risk stays really small you might just get away with it (we have so far!).
Oh, and btw, my house makes yours look like something out of Home and Garden lol....and that would be pretty impossible to block off and still have a usable space!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts