Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nozdormu and Onyxia are brother and sister, both have been fixed at a very young age. Both are a couple of years old, but Nozdormu tries to mount Onyxia. He doesn't do this to Callie, our other fixed female who is younger. Nozdormu does all the motions, bites Onyxia's neck, straddles and humps. Onyxia who isn't the most mellow cat, she's rather shy and prefers my son's company to any other, including the other cats. Onyxia just lays there and lets him do it. I know both cats are fixed because I was the one who took them to the vet to be speutered and paid for it. I doubt its dominance because cats in the wild are solitary, my cats live harmonious with each other, no fighting over anything, and everything provided for, including chin scritches.

Just wondering if anyone else had an experience with something similar. I doubt I'll stop them, but I'd like to know why he does it.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I have nothing to add, except two thumbs up on the names of your kitties. =D
<--- WoW fan.

·
Registered
211 Posts
All of our cats have been fixed, but at one point our boy cats would do this with one particular female cat we had. The other female cat we had at the time would not allow such nonsense. Now we have all males.

Male cats nursing kittens is the oddest cat behavior I've seen.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I used to do cat rescue, foster and rehab (before I had my son) and I've had some males that would mount other males and females. In fact, a pair of brothers that I have STILL do it. They are almost 4 years old, both neutered at the same time and place when they were 6 months old. I was there the day that they were born. They are polydactile. One has 8 thumbs, little claws and pads for each little thumb. He has "Catcher's mits" for front paws. These guys have been around at least 20 other cats, that were fostered, rehabbed and homed so they are very social, get along great with my other kitties (6 total) and our 5 month old puppy. But Diego stills mounts and humps Diablo. Diablo will take it for about 10 seconds, then the fight is on. lol Not real fight, but "brothers who are annoying the holy crap out of each other" kind of fighting.

I cant explain the behavior, your vet may be able to if you call them and just ask a random question. It's not bad behavior, other than the "humpee" may get mad, like my Diablo does. I will yell at Diego and push him off if I see him doing it. He doesnt do it often. I would notice it more when they would lay down to sleep and cuddle and bathe each other. Maybe that cuddle time makes Diego horny, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Cats do it for the same reasons dogs do it. Which is to say. . .because they like to? I guess :p.

You don't even want to know how many cats I have, and I still can't figure out their behavior. In fact, the more cats I know, the less I understand about them. That's why I like 'em ;).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts