Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there are any folks out there reading that do carting activities with their dogs? In particular I'd be interesting in hearing anyone who's used the type of cart in this link: http://caninecarriages.com/

I'm not really looking for weight pulling type stuff but I thought this looked like a unique way to add something interesting to a dog's life. I'm not ready to get started yet as one of mine is too old, the other too young but I'm planning ahead.

If anyone has any suggestioned reading or dvd's, I'd love to hear about it. Would also love to hear your carting experiences or about training for it.

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
Wow! That looks neat!
I'm afraid I don't have any experience with this but I'd also be interested in hearing from others who do!
On a similar note... I know that each dog is different but is there a general conversion chart/formula for how much weight a dog (of a certain weight) should be able to pull?

Soro's 70lb and very strong, but in the past when I've tried to get him into pulling, or even carrying a backpack, he gets really slow and lazy ("why are you making me do thisss???").

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got into sulky's and cart some years ago. I almost bought the cart you showed instead bought a metal lt weight one. I forgot the name of it at the time. It cost a lot of money and the harnes kept on slipping over my Giants head when going down hill. Im in NH it's downhill both ways here. the sulky had a strange hitch that fit on top of the harness. Others didn't seem to have a problem however. When researching I got on to the sulky/carting forum and they where cut throat to each other. So I went with the nicest vendor in Autrialia, very helpful but it just didn't work out for my dog so I sold it. I much perfered mushing and scootering. I think my dogs did as well, they seemed to have more freedom.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
could you tell me where the sulky/carting forum is? I've been looking for forums, knowing it's cut throat I'll probably stick to reading & not posting as I don't get into the nastiness. Since posting this thread I've found another type of scootering/triking sort of gadget that puts the dogs right next to me as we scoot along. I'm trying to weigh out what will be safest & the most fun for all of us.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
27 Posts
There's alot out there just google carting or sulky message board. I just did a quick sceRch and noticed there's now several different ones. You shouldn't have to deal with a negative message board. My all time favorite dog activiety board was "dogs love to run" they may have expanded to carting, it's worth checking it out.
Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts