Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just what the title says "Carsten got bit again today." I don't know if he puts off some smell or vibe of some type but he has gotten bit so many times now by so many different dogs. Today was through a privacy fence. I took him over to my sisters house. She has a wooden privacy fence around the yard. He was playing outside with the kids when the neighbors dogs charged over to the fence barking and growling. He stood about 5 feet away and looked for awhile and then tentatively approached the fence. They had 2 dogs, one what looked like an older Beagle or Beagle mix the other looked to be a Shih Tzu mix. He sniffed through the fence. It is the type with the slats on both sides so they can see each other if they are close enough. Well the Shih Tzu mix looking dog nailed him on his face. My nephew was so upset and stood real close to the fence. He said "I don't like those kind of dogs, those MEAN kind like that." I agreed with him that I don't like the mean kind either but quietly chuckled to myself thinking how many people would think that HIS dog, the Rottweiler, was the mean one.
Carsten handled it with his normal grace. He ran behind me. :D I feel such pride when he shows off his Rottie bravery.

I can't help but wonder why so many other dogs dislike poor Carsten? I keep telling him that they are just jealous because he is so cute. I know that I am nuts for thinking it but it seems to hurt his feelings. :(

So again, Why do some dogs give off the "bite me" vibe? Do any of your dogs get that or is it just mine?

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Smalls gets bit all the time! And there is nothing more she loves than meeting another dog. She just loves company. But half the time other dogs just lash out at her. I don't get it. All she does is stand there with her big dopey smile.

Unfortunately, Smalls is apparently not good like Carsten. She will never back down and fight right back. Clearly taking after her mom.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Honey has been bitten twice and "rushed" thrice. *sigh* It has created...issues.

Sorry to hear about poor dear Carsten. :( Hope he's not too affected by the experience.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Smalls gets bit all the time! And there is nothing more she loves than meeting another dog. She just loves company. But half the time other dogs just lash out at her. I don't get it. All she does is stand there with her big dopey smile.

Unfortunately, Smalls is apparently not good like Carsten. She will never back down and fight right back. Clearly taking after her mom.
Well, that is my fear. He is getting quite defensive at times. I think he would still prefer to hide behind mom but on occasion I have seen him act quite defensively. I am always concerned when he does that. I know that people freak when they see a Rottweiler act up at all. He doesn't bark or growl but his posture definitely changes when he is challenged head on. Eye contact from other dogs especially Golden Retrievers seems to send him over the edge. (He was bit pretty bad from a Golden)

I think it was interesting though that my nephew wanted to go in and protect Carsten from the other dog. The part that I found interesting is that I have sat that boy down on many occasions and talked to him about what to do if dogs get into a fight. The answer was NOT get involved. I think that it proves once again that you cannot just trust kids to do the right thing. He knows he should NEVER go by dogs if they are in acting aggressively and yet, he saw his dog get bit and wanted to help. Then we wonder why kids get bit. In this case he was safe but I still had to talk to him again. His response was "Carsten wasn't mean the other dog was." He doesn't understand that when something like that happens instinct can take over and the dog may not act in it's normal calm way.

In this case, Carsten acted in his normal "let mom take care of it" way. lol

Rosemary I know what you mean about it causing issues. Most of my dogs have been pretty happy go lucky with other dogs until they have had a few bad experiences and then they become defensive. It is a pain in the rear to try to deal with too. Seems like I am always trying to fix these issues. This is why I get so upset with people letting their dogs run or having them outside unattended. I work far too hard trying to keep my dogs social.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Well, that is my fear. He is getting quite defensive at times. I think he would still prefer to hide behind mom but on occasion I have seen him act quite defensively. I am always concerned when he does that. I know that people freak when they see a Rottweiler act up at all. He doesn't bark or growl but his posture definitely changes when he is challenged head on. Eye contact from other dogs especially Golden Retrievers seems to send him over the edge. (He was bit pretty bad from a Golden)

I think it was interesting though that my nephew wanted to go in and protect Carsten from the other dog. The part that I found interesting is that I have sat that boy down on many occasions and talked to him about what to do if dogs get into a fight. The answer was NOT get involved. I think that it proves once again that you cannot just trust kids to do the right thing. He knows he should NEVER go by dogs if they are in acting aggressively and yet, he saw his dog get bit and wanted to help. Then we wonder why kids get bit. In this case he was safe but I still had to talk to him again. His response was "Carsten wasn't mean the other dog was." He doesn't understand that when something like that happens instinct can take over and the dog may not act in it's normal calm way.

In this case, Carsten acted in his normal "let mom take care of it" way. lol
It's definitely scary. Smalls does not discriminate based on size. She will accept any challenge. The last time she was attacked she was prancing happily to me and our friends Dane suddenly lunged at her and picked her up by her HEAD and shook. The minute he let her go, she lunged right back, biting and making a whole lot of racket. Our friend grabbed the his Dane, and I grabbed her, but of course Jack, having to protect his sister, saw it go down and came running, teeth bared and snarling. All of my dogs are great with other dogs, but if any thing goes down Smalls keeps it going, and every one else "comes to the rescue"

Thankfully, Jack and Jonas have great recall. I just say their names and they're done with whatever they're doing and at my side. Smalls just goes into a frenzy and I have to grab her legs and yank her out. Thankfully, again, she has never turned on me. Once she's pulled out she's like "Oh, it's over? OK."

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah so far so good with Carsten too. I was pointing out to a friend of mine that goes to the same kennel club as I do and owns a fear aggressive dog how different Carsten is then her dog. When something sets her dog off he growls loudly, barks and throws his hackles up but his posture is different. When Carsten has gotten aroused over a dog challenging him he is quiet, stiff and gets BIG. He has direct eye contact with the other dog and moves toward them. I KNOW he needs to be redirected at that time or the other dog IS going to get nailed. He has never done it but his body language is unmistakable. He never starts anything but anytime another dog gruffs or challenges he is getting ready to finish it. I am doing everything in my power to make sure that NEVER happens. I think once he realizes that he IS a powerful dog, he is going to be more of an issue. I do not take my dogs lightly. I know they are powerful and I tend to be OVER protective. I do not want to ever put them into situations where they HAVE to defend themselves. This is why I get so mad when something like today happens.

If Carsten HAD attacked back what do you think people would have though? I am guessing they wouldn't except the "he was defending himself, excuse even though, that would have been exactly what he was doing.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
What a shame that your dog has to pay for other people's stupidity. If only you could tell Carsten, "don't worry, just like people, there are GOOD dogs and BAD dogs in the world, and the best thing is to just stay away from the bad ones."

Getting bitten by another dog has changed my Marge's behavior, as you saw in my thread, so I certainly has empathy for the situation you're in. Like Rosemary said I hope it doesn't affect him very much and he just moves on from it.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Atka has gotten snapped at 3X by other dogs but I think it is her method of greeting. Dogs do not like Face to Face meeting and most will snap. Atka has lived with cats and b4 that her Litter Mates. She never learned the side ways butt to nose greet. She thinks dogs, cats and people all should meet face to face and be friendly. :rolleyes:

She bounces up to other dogs and sniffs their face (the way cats greet) and the other dog takes offense (I read about this in "the Other end of the Leash" and "The Culture Clash"). Face to Face meeting is considered "rude" by most dogs (and this is why so many children get face bit.. Humans greet face to face and little kids sometimes get really close).

To that end, and because I don't want a DA dog, I just don't let her go up to other dogs.

In this situation, there was a fence so face to face is all they could do. And really.. HOW do you stop it? NOT let the dog out in the Back Yard? That is one way.. for sure.. when the other dogs are out..

I do think your Nephew's reaction was a good one for sure!

I also know you probably know all about dogs and their reactions to face to face greetings.. just throwing that out there.

None of us want a DA dog to develop for sure! Good natured Carsten sounds like a real sweety. I am glad you are there to protect his butt! :D When are you going to train him in Schutzhund??? :p

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Tell Carsten this turning the other cheek is getting old, and buy him an ice cream cone for being patient. This keeps up you're gonna have to get him a hockey goalie mask.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Ack, sorry to hear that, Inga :( Poor guy's walking around with a target painted on him it seems.

She bounces up to other dogs and sniffs their face (the way cats greet) and the other dog takes offense
This is how Kim greets other dogs when on leash...so I have to be sure the other dog is okay with that before allowing it. Off lead she is less rude but just as boisterous...like a leggy nut with springs instead of feet. Like you I just end up making sure greetings are under controlled circumstances.

The exception is dogs bigger than she is (height). She hasn't known very many in that category, but they two she knew well (my parents' Lab X and my very first class instructor's Irish Wolfhound) seem to have made a big impression on her and she is very very polite and submissive when greeting a larger dog.

Maybe she should meet Carsten, lol. He's bigger than her in weight...what about height?

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Carsten is real close to the 25 inch mark for height. He is NOT a big Rottie. Thank God.
As much of a bull in the china shop as that boy is, I couldn't deal with him being a real big guy. lol
His first few times being bit/attacked were when off leash dogs went at him seemingly out of the blue. Neither him or I saw it coming. He also had an on leash, but out of control, Pit mix at the kennel club tear into him a few times. It was the Golden Retriever that seemed to change his outlook on other dogs the most. I think he was so shocked by it and he seemed downright jumpy for awhile after it. He was able to do 3 minute down stays between a few well behaved Golden's at the kennel club but he did keep looking at them to make sure they were not coming at him.

I was actually concerned about my nephews reaction. NOT from what he said though. I agree that the other dog is mean, no matter how small it is. I was just sad to see that after being told 1000 times to NEVER go by dogs that are showing aggression he got right in there to protect his little itty bitty Rottweiler. I just know that had Carsten chose that moment to defend himself, I wouldn't ever want a child in the area. When dogs fight, everything else is out of their mind and people can get hurt. I am pretty sure that my nephew wouldn't get into it with strange dogs but he got a good chat after that anyway. I hate seeing kids get into situations where there is a chance of getting hurt. As I have said, I am a overprotective person when it comes to my dogs and my family. Better safe then sorry though, it has paid off in that my dogs have never bit anyone. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts