Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've dealt w/ carsickness in dogs before--my beagle Ellie started drooling when she saw the car and it got worse from there. All her trips were nice ones (we drove to parks for hiking 4-5 days a week!), but she kept doing it. She learned to hold her head over a vomit bowl held out to her and we made it work until she outgrew it.

But this is different b/c Daniel, my new coonhound rescue, not only vomits in the car (and one time pooped--although that was when he was being fed crap food at the vet's), but also PEES. I've never seen that in a dog. He has never ONCE had an accident in the house, can hold his urine for a ridiculous amount of time (he had to be crated (HUGE crate) 11 hours a time while he was unable to go out into the yard while I was at work due to post-neuter complications and the fact that he was going over my fence, and he never ONCE had an accident!). So it's stress.

His first car ride (with me, and probably period) was just 2 miles from where I found him to my house. His second was, unfortunately, 1.5 hours to the vet the rescue group let me use (to save $$ on neuter, etc). He vomited on that ride. He was at the vet's 5 days due to complications and when I picked him up he vomited, pooped and peed in the car on the 1.5 hour trip home. :rain:

Since then he's been to my regular vet twice (vomited on at least one leg of each of those trips). And he peed once.

I am now driving him 1 mile down the road to a really quiet road where we can do our walks (my country road is too dangerous) in the hopes that the SHORT drive followed by a walk (which he loves) will help change his mind about the car. But yesterday he vomited right after he got out of the car.

All these recent trips were on an empty stomach (trips in p.m., I feed a.m. only), but he still managed to hork something up. ;-)

I can try ginger or peppermint or whatever, but my big concern is that I wanted to start him in agility in June. That's 1 hour in the car each way and I will have to rush home from work, grab him, and stuff him in the car--no time to give ginger and let it have an hour to work. He'll also be getting stuffed w/ treats at agility so the fact that I feed in a.m. only won't make much difference.

Not only is this hard on my car (I put a tarp down in the back of my Yaris!) but it's hard on him-I don't want to make things worse!

I could put a vari-kennel back there, but then he's really stuck with the mess if he vomits or pees. :(

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I think I'd start really small, just being in the car with the car not moving! Then just pulled out of the driveway and back, then just down to the corner and back, etc...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I'd start really small, just being in the car with the car not moving! Then just pulled out of the driveway and back, then just down to the corner and back, etc...
Yes but . . . I have to walk him (he's too high energy to skip that right now), it's too dangerous on my street, and the woods/horse trails behind my place are full of ticks! So I have to drive him a mile down the road to the safer street. <sigh>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts