Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live on a super busy street, like 100+ people, dogs, kids.

I'm trying to teach my dog to walk on a loose leash. However he's reactive to other dogs so I can't just walk him right out the front door.

It takes about 2-3 minutes to get to a quieter place, where I can begin training. He's a little guy, so I can just carry him.

My question is, will this have an effect on his training? Will he be confused? I eventually will let him walk out the front door with me, once his reactivity is lowered (or gone...one can hope, right?). Will he get too used to being carried up until a certain point?

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
A huge part of modifying reactivity is preventing it from happening. So yes, if your dog is very comfortable being carried, it is a good idea to bring him to a quieter place to train.
I think if you are successful with the training, you will eventually be able to work closer to your home. If you are able to go back into your home without any reactivity, then that's a good sign that he may not need to be carried out anymore.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I'm trying to teach my dog to walk on a loose leash. However he's reactive to other dogs so I can't just walk him right out the front door.

It takes about 2-3 minutes to get to a quieter place, where I can begin training.
Have you done any training to reduce reactivity, ie: LAT or similar? If not, that's where I would start. Skip teaching him to walk on a loose leash for now, until you get a handle on his reactivity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdraNF2hcgA

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I'd pick him up. Do your lesson and walk as far as you can home. When he cannot LLW pick him up and work on reactivity the rest of the way. I reward with praise and treats when calm and block view by turning away when reacting. Bucky wants to see the other dog so calms down and gets the point pretty well. He'll look for and grab the string cheese when he sees other dogs when carried now. Looks like he's sucking on a pacifier which is exactly the point.

Remember he's going to be upset and have trouble LLW when you arrive at your training area so take it easy. Bucky can go for more than 50 steps when relaxed but when excited I go right back to rewarding every 1/2 step. LLW and reactivity training go hand in hand. A dog properly walking with you is paying a good bit of attention to you as is a dog calm in the face of an exciting object such as a dog.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts