Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dogs know a word that many dogs may not recognize: carrot - as in, "Wanna carrot?"

Every day, they each get a half, or sometimes a whole, raw carrot. We've been doing this for a month-or-so.

Esther approached this new (to her) food with her usual unabashed gusto. If you give her a whole carrot, she will actually chew it, but no part of that carrot will ever touch the ground. Molly was much more tentative but decided that, if it's good-enough for Esther, it's good-enough for her. (Actual thought process: "If I don't eat it, Esther will.")

Carrots are relatively cheap. A whole carrot is about 8 calories, with no fat. They are something to chew on that won't get them in trouble. And they like them.

I tried giving one to my son's lab mix Duke when they were visiting last weekend. Duke would eat the tires off your car, but wanted no part of his carrot.

Maybe it's an acquired taste.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
My dogs love carrots! They are also good for them. :) I feed the baby carrots though. It is easier for them to eat as they do not chew their food very well. They are pigs! Lol!

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Obi stole a carrot that accidentally ended up within his reach once. Never occurred to me to give it as a chewy treat though, will have to try it.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I used organic baby carrots as treats sometimes, I just cut them up and they are good to go. My dogs love them.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Mine haven't like carrots, but maybe I'll try them again. I use bananas the same way, although not every day. Since he peels them (!!) they're a pretty good time and attention waster for Squash but then I have to find the peel when he's done because he doesn't always eat it.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Some dogs do not like the texture of raw carrots. I know my two older weims used to not like them but when they saw BB eatineg them they started to like them.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Biscuit doesn't love raw carrot (or at least she didn't least time I tried), but she loves raw butternut squash or pumpkin. If I'm cutting it she hovers attentively. Not a bad treat either.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Jubel loves carrots. I buy the big bags of baby carrots and give them as treats. Though I first started giving him carrots when he got a bit chunky because I was overfeeding him following the info I got from the shelter on what he WAS being fed. When I first cut back his food he'd finish his food then got paw at and roll around the bin his kibble was stored in. Once I added 4-5 baby carrots to his kibble it filled him up enough he stopped begging for more food. Now he just gets them as a healthy treat and he loves them. He does know the word carrot too, "wanna carrot?" is greeted with a big smile and body wiggling tail wag.

Funny that Squash doesn't like carrots but likes bananas, bananas are the only food Jubel has EVER spit out.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I think it is cool that Squash " Peels " his bananas. :) My dogs will not touch a banana unless it is a certain ripeness ... almost green. Otherwise they too spit them out.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I buy the big bags of baby carrots and give them as treats.
Ditto. My mom taught me to do this. She has old American Eskimos with perfect teeth. Their vet thinks that daily carrots have really helped them. My Pit Bull rescue, Corky, LOVES carrots. Unfortunately my father has taught Corky that carrots come from the ground. I had taught Corky that they come from Costco. Now Corky digs big holes in my back yard and I'm certain that he's looking for carrots. Sasha can take them or leave them unless they are chopped and steamed, but I'm certain that raw carrots are better for teeth than mushy ones.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
All my dogs like carrots. And apples. But Toby LOVES broccoli. .. .the only dog I've ever met who does. Cooked or raw, he doesn't care.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I think it is cool that Squash " Peels " his bananas. :) My dogs will not touch a banana unless it is a certain ripeness ... almost green. Otherwise they too spit them out.
The very first time I gave him one he just nommed the whole thing peel and all. But ever since then he peels them. He's actually got a very specific technique he uses, I should try to tape it sometime.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Luke absolutely loves carrots! He would eat as many as you would give him and in any shape, form or condition. This love for carrots came from our many days at the horse farm. Anytime a horse was getting a carrot, Luke was right there, eating the droppings and usually getting his own carrot. We had one man that always brought a minimum of 5 lbs of carrots a day, and before he left he would walk down each of the two rows of stalls, giving each horse a carrot. Luke would follow him down the rows and when he got to the end, he always had a carrot left for Luke. Obviously this man was pretty high up on Luke's list of favorite people! I would have to tell people to stop feeding Luke so many carrots because he was constantly begging for them and the next day his poop would be full of carrot chunks! He also ate apples, horse treats, spilled grain, once I caught him chewing on a piece of hay...if the horses ate it, so did he!

ETA: And of course since Luke eats and loves them...Zoey loves them too!

The very first time I gave him one he just nommed the whole thing peel and all. But ever since then he peels them. He's actually got a very specific technique he uses, I should try to tape it sometime.
You most definitely should!

·
Registered
158 Posts
My dogs love carrots! I give them as a special occasional treat, and they just gobble them up :p I use baby carrots. When I got Bailey the breeder recommended them for when he was really teething :)

~IJMB

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Mine eat them, but I see every last orange piece in their poop the next day. Not much digestion going on with plants lol.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
All my dogs like carrots. And apples. But Toby LOVES broccoli. .. .the only dog I've ever met who does. Cooked or raw, he doesn't care.
Sydney likes carrots and LOVES asparagus. She'll snag pieces of any vegetable that gets dropped on the floor while I'm making dinner, but she usually just shreds them and leaves them somewhere. She got a hold of a radish once and thought it was the best toy in the world, but didn't try to eat it. Silly dogs.

·
Super Moderator
11,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Our beagle used to dig up radishes in the garden and eat them.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Neither of my dogs like Carrots yet but show Oliver a Banana and he is willing to do almost anything for it. Being that Bananas are also relatively cheap, he gets quite a few of them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts