Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I've got the 6 year old maltese x silky for a week to see if she'll like it here, so far it's been well... er one night. So while I'm expecting a few potty accidents I'm wondering how long it will take for her to get used to her new potty pads and going outside and if anyone has any tips =) obviously there isn't going to be any set time it will take but maybe if I share where I'm at you might be able to give me some pointers...

Apparently her old owners had her very well house trained, she would scratch at the door and wine to be let outside to use the toilet, she then got passed onto the owners parents who have said for the past week she has been going inside. Now, the owners parents sound as though they have her outside one night and inside another so she's most likely very confused as to where she can actually go - plus she's probably quite stressed being in a new household.

So, I brought her home yesterday afternoon, she trotted around sniffing and investigating before I let her outside to go "wees" at around 3pm which she did quite promptly then tottered back inside, here I was feeling quite relieved =)

I continued to take her outside every hour it seemed, she wouldn't go and instead seemed very distracted by the neighbours. I hopped under the shower then got dressed for bed (it's now around 8pm, such a nanna) which would've taken 20 minutes MAX. I come out into the lounge and she had peed in the kitchen (carpeted), again - expected this at some point.

I cleaned it up then went to bed - she slept on the bed too then at around midnight she scampered off, I woke up when I heard her little paws skittering across the floor, I got up to have a look and she had done a little poo, I cleaned it up then went back to bed. I woke up this morning at 7am to two more poos in the lounge (like artwork i must say) then let her outside to have a pee, no peeing happened.

I decided I'd go out and by a toilet pad with a scent that was meant to attract them to pee on it AMAZING, I set it up (probably too close to her feeding spot as I've found out via google lol) and went out to get some groceries - when i returned she had peed. Not on the toilet pad but back in the kitchen (not the exact location of the first accident but about two metres away). I've moved her toilet pad to this area which is far away from her sleeping and eating areas so I've got my fingers crossed!

Now. How do I know when to encourage her to go on the potty pad?what are the signs of her needing to go to the toilet? she's napping at the moment so should I take her to the pad after she naps?

I would ideally prefer her to go outside but because i work full time she'll be inside during the day so she'll need to use the pad...

thanks for the patience!

·
Registered
703 Posts
You might want to go back to Potty Training 101- act as if she is a baby puppy who doesn't know anything. There are several stickies on this topic.

I've also heard people say that potty pads can be confusing. Is there any reason you are using both outside and potty pads?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've put her potty pad in the bathroom, she sleeps and eats in my bedroom and can get to the bathroom during the night if she needs to go, at the moment i'm only letting her into the lounge (where she was peeing before) if someone can watch her.

She has started to go outside so now I just need to suss out a routine as to what times, I have the potty pad in the bathroom just incase she needs to use it when we aren't home, if she goes on the hard wood floors/tiles instead of the pad atleast it's easy to clean. lol atleast now i know she can go outside

·
Registered
468 Posts
Potty pads can be confusing because they won't differentiate it from carpet or a even a towel on the floor. As long as they go on a surface that feels like the pad they will think it is okay. I would start taking her out every hour, take away the pads, and then slowly adding on more time. My one year old maltese needs to go out around 5 times a day to prevent accidents. Also feeding on a schedule will allow you to know about when she will need to poop.

Oh I just saw that you work during the day. Potty pads may prevent accidents, but it will also teach her that it is okay to pee on carpet like areas.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys! she hasn't used the potty pad yet, when i came home from work she had done a little wee on the bathroom tiles but nothing on the potty pad, lol since it's so brand new i should just take it back lol. Do dogs show the same attraction to kitty litter trays??? as cats do cause my kitten took to her litter tray like a duck to water! haha (stupid question i know)

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have seen (small) dogs that use litter trays and even the toilet!

thanks guys! she hasn't used the potty pad yet, when i came home from work she had done a little wee on the bathroom tiles but nothing on the potty pad, lol since it's so brand new i should just take it back lol. Do dogs show the same attraction to kitty litter trays??? as cats do cause my kitten took to her litter tray like a duck to water! haha (stupid question i know)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But I suppose it'd be the same process as general house training (if using a litter tray)??? How do 9-5 workers house train dogs? so far she's done woopsies on the bathroom tiles instead of the puppy pad while Ive been away at work, I would hate to leave her in a crate for that long!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts