Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure how he originally got the wound, but my dog has a strip of missing skin on his carpal pad. It reopens when I play fetch with him, so I'm assuming he is skidding on it or something. I've heard the carpal pads referred to as "break pads" so it would make sense but we've never had this problem before.

Regardless, he is a very active dog and I feel guilty keeping him cooped up with no activity while waiting for it to heal, and I don't even know how to prevent it in the future.

Does anyone have any ideas? I've tried wrapping it up but I think it chafes on it and causes him more pain. I'd like to play fetch without worry about it reopening. Has anyone had this problem before and deal with it?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Paw pad scrapes are pretty common on rocky ground or pavement. As long as it is shallow/superficial, then I just give it a spray with some antibacterial/antimicrobial topical wound spray (i have NutriVet brand but any pet store or farm store like Tractor Supply will have options) and keep the dog from licking it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He hasn't been chewing at it, licking it occasionally but I put neosporin on it and everything and the wound is doing good. Just curious if there is anything I can do to protect it prevent further injury from playing fetch with him, or if I just have to keep him inactive for a few more days! Thanks for the help

1 - 3 of 3 Posts