Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in loooooove!

I got up at 5am, drove to NH, picked up an adorable pup, then drove back. She was awesome for the 4 hour ride home but I am exhausted lol.

I came home to be greeted by the grandparents and she's a hit, hehe. I'm having an absolute blast with this cuddly and playful little girl. I can't believe how in love I am with her already!

PICS!

Giving my mom a kiss while her other grandmother sits behind her:

Hubby picking her up while we still can:

The cute!

More...

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
OH, she is just too cute!!!!

What is she? She's got some pretty serious legs and feet going on there. :D

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Oh, she is too cute! What kind of puppy is she? She looks like a Swissy, but does she have one blue eye? How adorable!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, she's a blue eyed swissy :).

It means she's disqualified from conformation, but I wasn't interested in showing or breeding anyway. The breeder wasn't to happy though, conformation wise she shows a lot of potential and is the one they would have kept if it's wasn't for the coloring/eye. All good for me though, I think it's cute and I wouldn't have gotten her in particular if it wasn't for that eye.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Oh my!!! She's a cutie for sure! Congrats on the baby girl!

Like you I'm sooo tired...it'll be 12am in a few mintues and I'm heading off to bed, sorry for such a short reply...I'm so happy your trip was good, and sooo worth it! :)

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
She is ADORABLE!! I am in love!!!! I hope to get a Swissy one day! Post more pics!!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New pictures you say? LOL, I just uploaded a few of her playing this morning, happy to oblige!

Play bow to start the game...

Attack!

With my kiddos in mid-pounce on a toy:

Loves the hedgehog the breeder sent her home with:

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
She is so amazingly cute!!:D:D I love Swissy's!! Is this your first dog? I am wondering because I was told I shouldnt get a Swissy because I have never had a dog before. I love her blue eye.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
sillylilykitty, no dog is a bad first dog as long as you research the breed, read as much about training as you can, and try and meet some of the breed you want to get.

There are only bad first dogs if you don't know what to do, and have done no research.

Adorable pup!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
She is so amazingly cute!!:D:D I love Swissy's!! Is this your first dog? I am wondering because I was told I shouldnt get a Swissy because I have never had a dog before. I love her blue eye.

I wrote a book and apologize ahead of time!

If you go to a good breeder (and that can't be emphasized enough) they can make a good first dog.

Despite the reputation as awesome family dogs some lines can be rather "sharp" and probably wouldn't work well for a first time dog owner. It's important to make sure that you work with a quality breeder who places good family temperament right up there with health and conformation. Some breeders also believe that being "sharp" is part of the breed, so you need to find one that is breeding for a softer temperament if you don't want that. A lot of research is necessary.

In my case I've grown up with dogs and am a vet tech. I also love training dogs. Even so, a good temperament was VERY important to me. In this girl's case her dad, besides being one of the top Swissy's in the US conformation wise, also has his therapy dog certification. The mom didn't do therapy but did have her championship, health clearances, and her Canine Good Citizen.

The cons of Swissy ownership?

Notoriously hard to housebreak. The average time given is 6-9 months.

Very important to socialize the heck out of them. They can be great with other dogs and people but not without a lot of time spent meeting people and doing new things at a young age.

They can tend one of two ways "dominate" or "fearful" and you have to work hard to strike the right balance. Again, a good breeder is very important as well as lots of training. The need to go to puppy kindergarten but also should continue on into the regular training classes as well. My girl is already signed up to start training.

They are one of the velcro breeds in the truest sense of the word. They bond strongly to their families and want to be with them all of the time. If you don't want a 100+lb dog underfoot all day and night it's not the right breed for you.

Even well socialized they tend to be a bit aloof with strangers. The ones that aren't that way are considered the "weird" swissys. In this girl's case daddy is a weird swissy and mommy was more typical.

Like all giant breeds they are also very slow to mature. It's going to be about 2 years until we can go past the regular training and start doing the fun swissy stuff like pack hiking, drafting (pulling a cart), and agility.

They have epilepsy in the breed and are prone to not only bloat (stomach fills with air and can twist) but splenic torsion as well (the spleen flips and twists). Both are very expensive surgical emergencies. The day my girl came home I got insurance on her. It's not cheap but it will be cheaper in the long run if something happens.

Oh, and they were originally used as watch dogs, have a bark like you wouldn't believe, and they USE it. They want to alert their owners to any changes. Move the garbage can? Gonna bark to let you know it's in a different place. People walking by outside? Gonna bark to let you know so you can check them out. They aren't really guard dogs and if well bred don't have the temperament for it, but they are pretty much all watch dogs.

My first ever swissy meeting consisted of three swissys running up to me barking for all they are worth and asking to be pet at the same time. They weren't barking to warn me off, they were just making sure their mom and dad knew I was there. Even so, if a person doesn't know better it can sound extremely intimidating.

Why get one? Because a well bred one IS a great family dog with proper training and socialization.

I happen to LOVE velcro dogs. The closer the dog sticks by me and my family the happier I am.

They tend to be total goofs with a great sense of humor.

They can do so many fun things. You can do pack hiking, weight pulling, drafting, herding, and even some agility and obedience. The agility and obedience aren't their strong points but there are a few out there doing well in both and all of them can do it to a point.

I wanted a good watch dog but NOT a guard dog. They can look and sound intimidating but, again, well bred, socialized, and trained they will alert and do nothing more.

They don't drool except after a big drink of water.

I'm sorry for writing a book but this is a breed I spent a ton of time researching and meeting before deciding they were right for me and my family.

That's another thing to keep in mind. They are generally not good breeders and I was on 3 or 4 waiting lists where the bitch ended up not being pregnant after breeding. When that happens it's about 6 months until they can try again. So if you do decide this is the breed for you be prepared to settle in for a long wait. It took a bit over a year altogether for my little girl to come home. Now that she's here though I couldn't be happier!

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Love the new photos! Thanks for posting them Xie. Are you still getting your other pup as well??

·
Registered
181 Posts
Interesting post on the info about the breed :) She is a VERY cute girl and congrats!! I love her blue eye, my dog has a blue eye too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts