Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
eeeww! I'm not sure if she ate it and spit it up or if she brought it in before and had saved it for later or if she had just gotten it. She had had diarhea in the morning and at lunch and then in the afternoon my husband sees she has what looked like a woodchip so he took it out of her mouth and it had a tail! Later on she coughed up a couple of bones. She seemed a little off all day. Today she seems her old self and she had a normal bm this morning.

I called the vet this morning and told the receptionist. She said she could have the vet call me back but Carmen seems fine today. Anything I should watch out for?

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
A mouse is a nice healthy meal, actually. ;p You might consider having her dewormed since wild animals tend to carry parasites, but I don't expect you'll have any other issues. As a carnivore it was a perfectly safe and nutritious meal for her.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Well, Kabota's gotten a hold of 4 mice/voles that I know of and he's fine.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yuck. I get to a dog it's just another animal, but mice are vermin and live off human detritus and carry infectious desease. Ugh. I guess I wouldn't be complaining if she were a cat. But still...yuck. The vet hasn't called back yet and an internet search reveals that this is not as unusual as I thought. She's had all her shots. I'm just glad it wasn't me that pulled it out of her mouth.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah, I'd probably be most concerned with parasites. Not going to lie though, I'd probably be seriously ill if my dog ate a live rodent too.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My dog has killed rabbits in the past and as cute and fluffy as people think they are, they are still rodents.

When mine get one I always worry about worms but so far we haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
My dog has killed rabbits in the past and as cute and fluffy as people think they are, they are still rodents.

When mine get one I always worry about worms but so far we haven't had any problems.
I've sent Kabota after the rabbit in my garden. Yeah, they're fluffy, but I didn't spend hundreds of hours on that garden to feed some freeloading rodent.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Not that it really matters in this context, but rabbits are actually not rodents, but lagomorphs.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Like the others, parasites would be my only concern and that's based on it being a wild mouse. Jack regularly kills/eats mice and voles (hi. Rat terrier) in the yard, trees squirrels often (someday he's GOING to get one that gets stuck inside the fence) and while I don't love the mess it doesn't shock me. He gets dewormed quite regularly, but that's about it.

...and frozen/thawed rats and mice are part of BOTH the dogs (including puppy Kylie's) regular diet.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
...and frozen/thawed rats and mice are part of BOTH the dogs (including puppy Kylie's) regular diet.
Ha, I was going to mention that. I know people who raw feed their cats often use pinky mice.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Ha, I was going to mention that. I know people who raw feed their cats often use pinky mice.
No better way to get a 'whole prey model' than feeding whole prey!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She did have diarhea and I think she may have thrown up the mouse. The vet said she should be fine and it would pass but if she had diarhea give her boiled chiken and rice. She's fine now but I keep reading about worms. and I'm reading deworming should be done once or twice a year. I've had her for 4 months and never done anything re worms. Should I deworm her? What should I use? What should I expect? I'll inspect the stool for worms but should she be wormed anyway? She's a year old.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I would take in a poop sample to the vet to check for parasites/worms and deworm if any are found otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Living on the edge of civilisation as I do here, my dogs will often catch and bring us bush rats. They are about the size of a small cat. A couple have been known to escape in the house and yours truelly has to find and catch the buggers whilst the missus stands on the bed and yells directions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts