Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I fell into the trap that so many others do - I cut my dog while trying to cut off a mat. I've been managing my Great Pyr's fluffy lion mane (and fluffy body in general) for 11 years and have never cut her before. However, she got a particularly nasty mat underneath her collar that I didn't notice early enough. Long story short, I sliced her neck open pretty good. Scary!! It was a pretty big gaping wound, a large flap of skin exposing tissue beneath. I was able to see blood vessels, which was cool but alarming. However, he wound did not bleed much at all. I dabbed with a paper towel to see the damage and only got a few small spots of blood on the towel.

Regardless, I rushed her off to the vet. She ended up with 4 staples. The wound is in the shape of a check mark almost, and the vet put 3 staples on the longer side and one on the shorter side, leaving the bottom open to allow it to drain.

The wound is on the underside of her neck, right where her collar would normally sit. So now, she cannot wear her collar or harness because the collar would rub and the harness would put pressure on her neck and potentially mess up the staples.

The vet gave her antibiotics and said not to mess with the wound unless it starts looking ugly or too weepy, and then to rinse with 50/50 water/hydrogen peroxide. He said if needed we could try to bandage it up a bit. I'm hoping things will go smoothly and the staples will stay in and it will not get infected. I am going to put a cone on my small dog who is notorious for worrying at wounds so he cannot harm the area.

I am wondering if anyone here has dealt with a similar wound before in such an inconvenient location, and maybe any tips for how to make sure she doesn't further injure herself or rip the staples out since there doesn't seem to be much I can do.

·
Registered
134 Posts
From my limited experience, there's not much more you can do other than following the vet's instructions and keep an eye on her/the other dog/the wound itself. It's in a spot that should be difficult for her to worry at and you're using a cone for the other dog's possible attraction so I think you've got the most obvious bases covered. Our Pyr mix got attacked by a Pit and had deep puncture wounds in his neck (which probably wouldn't have been deeper if not for his mane). He didn't need staples or stitches, but otherwise the protocol and treatment was pretty much the same your vet told you. I think you will feel a lot better once the wound isn't so raw, and at least with our dog, the initial healing happened shockingly quick. Then it was really just a matter of letting the fur grow back.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
For transporting her (if you need to) your options are kind of 1) try to find a harness that sits low enough across her chest that it's not near the wound, or 2) transport her using only a slip-lead as high up on the neck as possible.

I would also try to cover the wound with a loose garment, like a snood or a t-shirt, depending on where it is, just to help stop her from bothering it or rubbing it.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From my limited experience, there's not much more you can do other than following the vet's instructions and keep an eye on her/the other dog/the wound itself. It's in a spot that should be difficult for her to worry at and you're using a cone for the other dog's possible attraction so I think you've got the most obvious bases covered. Our Pyr mix got attacked by a Pit and had deep puncture wounds in his neck (which probably wouldn't have been deeper if not for his mane). He didn't need staples or stitches, but otherwise the protocol and treatment was pretty much the same your vet told you. I think you will feel a lot better once the wound isn't so raw, and at least with our dog, the initial healing happened shockingly quick. Then it was really just a matter of letting the fur grow back.
Thank you! Yes, I'm going to be anxious about it until it's pretty well closed up, you're right. Staples out on the 30th!

For transporting her (if you need to) your options are kind of 1) try to find a harness that sits low enough across her chest that it's not near the wound, or 2) transport her using only a slip-lead as high up on the neck as possible.

I would also try to cover the wound with a loose garment, like a snood or a t-shirt, depending on where it is, just to help stop her from bothering it or rubbing it.
I was considering trying one of those head halters, just for the time being, but I don't think she would react to that well and I don't want to go through the trouble with that just for a few weeks worth of use. I'm hoping to just not have to transport her anywhere at all since I don't want to disrupt the wound by pulling the skin around it, at least while it's this fresh.

Good idea with the shirt to cover it, any ideas as to how to get it to stay up so that it doesn't just bunch up over the wound?

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
The only thing I can think of is safety pins, but I don't feel great about that as a option.

My only experience with neck wounds is at the shelter, and we always had a variety of dog and non-dog t-shirts around so it was usually easy to find one that fit loose enough but wasn't just a saggy sack.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A human or dog tshirt wouldn't cover the wound without holding it up somehow which is the issue. We do have something similar to a neck warmer that I tried today, but it started to bunch up over the staples so I took it off.

I walked her today with her harness rigged up on her hips, with her back legs through it and tail through the neck hole... lol must have been quite the sight walking down the street. It's just a short walk on the sidewalk to the area we hike at where she is let off leash. Not ideal, but with how arthritic she is I don't want her sitting around doing nothing for 2 weeks. Motion is lotion!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts