Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is sort of take 2. My original thread can be found here: http://www.dogforums.com/4-dog-grooming-forum/47408-bathing-large-scared-dog.html

I've decided to post a new thread because it's been a long time since there was a post in the last one and I don't want to bring it back to the top.

Essentially, my dog Dexter is "touch sensitive" - he's nervous around people he doesn't know and we can't cut his nails, bathe him, or give him his ear medicine because he'll fight for his life. Members of my family have been nipped on several occasions and the entire situation is causing a lot of stress. My parents are one more nip or scratch away from getting rid of Dexter, but I don't know what to do!

The only thing that's worked so far was when we took him to the vet to get medication for his ears (he was having an allergic reaction). While we were at the vet, we basically pinned him down with one of the nurses, the vet, my dad and myself all holding him, ensuring that he could barely move an inch. Naturally, this isn't really a viable solution every time we need to give him medicine or whatever.

Does anyone have any more suggestions? :(

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
It sounds like you need a professional...both groomer and training. If that is not feasable in your situation, then I just don't see it improving, and rehoming may end up being your only alternative. Once nipping starts, it will continue to escalate and nipping becomes out and out biting, and aggression. You need a trainer to teach you how to suppress his fear, and get done what needs to be done. I read thru your other post, and believe you need more than a message board..you need someone to evaluate your dog in person, and teach you how to resolve the issues.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I agree with Graco that this sounds like a situation for a professional--you might consider a behaviorist in addition to a trainer.

Essentially, my dog Dexter is "touch sensitive" - he's nervous around people he doesn't know and we can't cut his nails, bathe him, or give him his ear medicine because he'll fight for his life.
I'm curious about this. How does he respond to casual touches from you and/or your family? Are you able to touch him at all, or does all touching make him fight?

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Your vet didn't suggest sedation grooming? I used to have a client I absolutely had to refer to sedation, as she had feral dogs that she was rehabilitating. She brought ONE to me for a while and at the slightest upset he threw himself under a metal bathing tub and wouldn't come out for anyone. Any attempts yielded a giant fight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts