Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 5 month old pup that has had no signs of car sickness yet, although we have not traveled longer than 20min in a car.
However i am planning a 8hour road trip to Northern Ontario in a couple of weeks and was wondering if I run into car sickness issues what can be given to her on the road?
I am probably being a little overcautious, Is car sickness common with dogs?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
She'll probably be fine. Just plan on taking lots of breaks along the way. And, as a precaution, only feed her very lightly that morning (if at all) and take along some ginger cookies (real ginger not artificial flavor). Ginger helps with motion sickness and the cookies would be nice treats for both of you.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Good advice above...

I also think you'll be fine. Tire her out the day before you leave - a good long walk, trip to the dog park, etc. and she will probably sleep the whole time. Just in case, be sure to put a blanket down in the car, or put her in her crate in the backseat. When Libby was that age, we stopped every 2 hours to let her out, pee, and take a little walk. Feed her only a little that morning, and give her a little snack at every stop (do a little training while stopped, etc).

Have fun on the trip!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I once had a Toy Poodle that got very car sick. We had to sedate him with Dramamine from the Vet before each trip. Motion sickness is directly related to ear condition..our Poodle had life-long ear problems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We have found that giving the dog a couple of drops of Rescue Remedy really helps. Also might depend on how the dog is traveling: in crate, loose in the back seat, on your partners lap? Have also found that using a harness that can be fastened to a rear seat belt allows the dog to move around and respond to the motion of the car.

Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts