Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can be done to help a dog that gets car sick? Well, I'm not sure if it's actual car sickness, or caused by fear of the car. He does not seem comfortable in the car at all (he's about 14 weeks old). He has a fairly fearful temperament anyway. How do we get him used to the car so that it is at least not torture for him?

Well, I posted in this forum with the intent on asking for remedies for car sickness (like herbal stuff) but it has morphed into more of a question about alleviating fear, so I'm not longer sure if this is the right forum...

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
What can be done to help a dog that gets car sick? Well, I'm not sure if it's actual car sickness, or caused by fear of the car. He does not seem comfortable in the car at all (he's about 14 weeks old). He has a fairly fearful temperament anyway. How do we get him used to the car so that it is at least not torture for him?

Well, I posted in this forum with the intent on asking for remedies for car sickness (like herbal stuff) but it has morphed into more of a question about alleviating fear, so I'm not longer sure if this is the right forum...
Desensitize.
After the car has been running with the A/C on, so it's cool, put him in car with you, pat, treat with high value treat, and remove from car. Repeat, gradually lengthening time. You want to stop before he gets too uncomfortable, or starts drooling. If you wait till he feels sick, you'll only teach him that the car is a bad place.

You can feed a Gingersnap cookie about 20 min before going in the car, to settle his stomach. Ginger is good for upset stomachs.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Desensitize.
After the car has been running with the A/C on, so it's cool, put him in car with you, pat, treat with high value treat, and remove from car. Repeat, gradually lengthening time. You want to stop before he gets too uncomfortable, or starts drooling. If you wait till he feels sick, you'll only teach him that the car is a bad place.

You can feed a Gingersnap cookie about 20 min before going in the car, to settle his stomach. Ginger is good for upset stomachs.
Excellent advice.
We also don't feed before car rides (just water) for an hour or two at least especially if it is going to be a long trip. We secure them in with a seat belt harness to prevent them from getting off balance or flying around the car. We do what spotted nikes said. Lure your dog into the car with something super tasty ( don't go anywhere though - or the super tasty treat may end up on you) - work up to the car moving.
I would also put a car seat liner (water proof) down so that in the case of an emergency (you have to go to the vet now) you can put him in the car bleeding or vomiting or whatever and keep it contained (sometimes there is no time for training). Also handy if he does vomit in training.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts