Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!
So, when I first adopted little Lucy she didn't mind car rides as long as she was snoozing on my lap (she's 8 lbs., so very small). About a month after I got her I decided having her ride on my lap is just not safe. I would never forgive myself if we got rear-ended or had to slam on the breaks and she would be shoved right into my steering wheel! I talked to a trainer and a few other folks and decided to try a small, elevated car seat for the front, passenger side seat (yes, a car seat! I never in a million years thought I'd own such a tiny dog, let alone a dog car seat!). It doesn't fully restrict her. She basically sits in a nice, open fluffy box and a short tether attaches to her harness so she can't get out of the "box". It's elevated, so she can see out everywhere. I've tried everything and she will not stop crying and trying to get over to me. It breaks my heart, but I just keep telling myself not to give into her because it's for her own safety. She HATES the car now. I've tried her favorite chew treats, toys, "high value" treats only for the car, blankets, calming spray, cracking the window, petting her the whole time, totally ignoring her, treats, on and on. Any suggestions on how to get her to enjoy the car again? Or, any other thoughts on a safe way for her to travel that she might take to more? Thanks!!

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
IF she is afraid of the seat, I would try a crate. Maybe she feels less secure in the booster and would feel more secure in a crate, or simply a harness that attaches her to the seat (like a doggy seatbelt).

IF it's a matter of just wanting to get to you, I would do short (five minutes or less) training sessions where you put her in the car seat in the car, reward calm behavior, ignore any whining and unwanted behavior, and then get out and go about your day. This training process does not involve you actually driving anywhere. Then, when you need to drive her somewhere, I would strap her into her seat and go.

I am a huge advocate for positive reinforcement and desensitization and counter conditioning. But safety always comes first. IE, if I need to safely transport a dog from point A to B and I did not have time to train, said dog would absolutely be 'contained' in some way in my car and he can wail to high heaven but that's what's going to happen. I have a relative who totaled his car driving into a pole when his small dog jumped onto his steering arm. It is a wonder both are still alive.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts