Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an electric 24' aluminum gate with a 5" wide (square stock) bottom rail that is 7"' off of the cement at its highest point ande 5" at the lowest). Without getting in to how ineptly this was engineered (small town folks can relate...'everybody' does good work in "__"burg after the fact...even if they didn't... :mad: )...we obviously have a problem.

My options as I see it:

1) Find something that uses my existing roller guides with very little underside clearance (maybe 1 1/2" max to the roller support if I adjust the rollers down so that they barely guide the bottom rail)

a) Use some kind of ScatMat type of device to attach under the gate that is both waterproof and available to withstand not only sometimes harsh Michigan winters but the high velocity backpack blowing employed to keep the gate clear (simple electric fence at its lowest setting might work; yet I am worried about both shorting out against the bottom and the dog's ground to the cement).

2) Go to great expense/effort and tach weld a piece of angle aluminum under the gate while changing each roller to a free floating vs 'two on a bracket' style. I'm already $250 into the parts on this one (with a chance to return); the angle and welding won't be cheap...and I'll probably be looking at another $250 min. (set up fee) to core bore the cement for the one hole needed.

3) Bury a couple thousand feet of Invisible Fence type product and be done with it! :rolleyes: (I'm already trying to figure out how to keep the dog in when
the gate remote is pushed for vehicle entry).

And if the "Mr. Obvious" answer turns out to be #3....what is the hands down (regardless of cost) best buried electrical product out there with the latest technology going both today and (most likely) in the future?

Oh, and some unsolicited advice:

Never contract a fence job with the expressed goal of keeping your pet contained...if you aren't willing to literally hold the installer's hand every step of the process (I even worked right alongside with 'em...and still chased my dog down the street this morning after I don't even want to tell you how much spent).

Thanks for any help that might be out there.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Could you just install a speedbump type deal? You'd probably have to build up the pavement under the gate and reinstall the roller track. 3.5 inches should be enough to prevent Gumby dog from getting out.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Great post. Love your writing style. :)

Let me ask a couple of questions:

1. Why would option #3 require a couple thousand feet of Invisible Fence? Isn't the fence around the yard containing the dog sufficiently?

2. If your gate is rolling on concrete, how would you bury the fence under that, anyway?

My first thought was that if you're willing to use invisible fence, why not bury a loop of it near the gate to keep the dog from approaching it.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could you just install a speedbump type deal? You'd probably have to build up the pavement under the gate and reinstall the roller track. 3.5 inches should be enough to prevent Gumby dog from getting out.

Talk about the "Mr. Obvious" answer/option that I forgot to list! :eek: (kudos to your powers of observation...long time listener; first time....:rolleyes:).

This was the very first option that I researched and may indeed be the solution. What pushed it to the back burner seemed to be cost per foot for a decent product (24' needed) in what seemed to be 2 or 4 foot chunks. For heaven's sake...I was merely looking for a decent piece of quality rubber or resin that looked at least as nice as the gate...yet the pricing out there seemed equal to the price per foot of the fence! :eek:

Thanks for setting 'the caller' straight! (obscure joke from the Bob and Tom show on morning radio)....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4 is company said:
"...Great post. Love your writing style. :)..."

That style has frankly gotten me kicked off of more offroad forums and/or clubs than I care to admit...yet I suppose that it's the only way I know how (hopefully short and sweet)...and what everybody's stuck with until they throw me out again. :)

"...Let me ask a couple of questions:
1. Why would option #3 require a couple thousand feet of Invisible Fence? Isn't the fence around the yard containing the dog sufficiently?..."

I was thinking that I could solve two issues by allowing the dog to exit the gate when opened by a vehicle approaching and by giving her the wider room to roam when we're outside tinkering (fairly large yard on the edge of a swamp). Our 7 foot fence pretty much encases the garage/parking area with a little grass; with the bulk of the (cough) 'lawn'...:rolleyes:... encompassing maybe 3 or 4 acres.

"...2. If your gate is rolling on concrete, how would you bury the fence under that, anyway?...My first thought was that if you're willing to use invisible fence, why not bury a loop of it near the gate to keep the dog from approaching it...."

Our cantilever style gate is basically 'hung' from two ball bearing rollers on the top (36 feet total gate length) opposite two roller guides on the bottom which really do nothing but just that (non-weight bearing wheels with a support bracket that would inhibit an add-on angle from passing underneath). It's all concrete around the gate and elsewhere; so my thoughts involving the ScatMat or electric fence involved electrifying the bottom of the gate...which is again limited by what I can pass through the roller guide bracket (1 1/2" wide @ most).

Thanks for taking the time to repy! :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts