Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not going to lie. My previous puppy was a breeze to take care of. He had a bladder of steel and his teething phase must have been a day long and we didn't have to crate train.

Our newest is a little monster. She screams bloody murder when she wants out of her room. It's a bathroom. The world was ending in our house b/c of her death cries in the crate.

We were told we can't do training classes or walk her outside of our backyard until she's had all her boosters.

I understand the training classes. I understand the walking too. I know diseases linger on grass. But what about walking on the street? We don't have sidewalks and very little traffic.
I need an easier way to wear her out in the evening. I work from home at all hours so my schedule can be wonky, but it generally stays the same.

What's your take? Opinions? Thoughts? Concerns? I'm open for it. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
How long have you lived in your home? Your yard is far cleaner than streets, obviously, so I'd say that as long as you've had your home for over a year, your yard should be fine. That rule is in place because parvo can live outside and survive freezing temperatures for up to a year.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Training classes are safe. They only allow vaccinated dogs (other than puppies of course) and will clean the area well. Definitely do not wait to start training classes.

I would ask your vet about the threat of parvo in your area. In some areas there is basically no risk. It also depends on your neighborhood. If you live on a quiet street with only vaccinated dogs, the street is probably safe. If you live in a busy neighborhood with random people going through and stray dogs around, then it's not going to be safe if the risk of parvo is generally high.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you need an alternative way of wearing her out, you could also play with a toy with her inside the house, e.g. play tug-o-war or through a ball. That is what I do when I cannot walk my dog right now but she gets bored. You can also try food puzzle toys like a Kong or a Bob-a-lot. This might tire her out a bit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts