Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the story..

A while back I found out my dog was allergic to something in the grass because when I took him for walks he developed a pretty bad rash. After a while of not taking him out at all I decided to try it and avoid the grass. After I did this a couple times he got a different kind of rash. My mom took him to the vet and apparently he's allergic to a type of bug that lives in the grass. He said the bug gets carried over to my dog through the wind. What I really want to know is, how do I keep him healthy? I read some where that malteses are supposed to be walked very often. It breaks my heart every time he's moaning because he can't go outside so I really really need help. Not only do I want him to be healthy, I want him to be happy. :/

·
Registered
267 Posts
First off, let me say that I'm no expert on dogs and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn either. This is a wild guess.

Have you tried one of the spot on flea treatments? Some of them are supposed to be affective against a large variety of insects (fleas, mosquitoes, etc). Perhaps they may offer protection against other insects before they bite?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Sprinkle Diatomaceous Earth in your yard. It will kill all fleas and any other small insects. It's harmless to people and pets, all natural, no poisons.
ETA: This can usually be found at any farm/feed store and the garden section at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Much cheaper at the feed stores though. If you get it make sure you get the food grade and not the type made for swimming pools (that type is dangerous for people/pets).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts