Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my poor pup has been having some itchy issues for months now. At first we thought he was just dealing with allergies, because when we took him to the vet he exclaimed, 'Aha! I know what this is!' and gave him a shot for allergies. His itchy red rash on his belly got a little better and he seemed to tone down the scratching quite a bit (this was back in May by the way).
A few weeks later the rash flared up again and this time poor Samson was scabbing and the rash seemed to be spreading to other parts of his body. Not only that, but he kind of stunk. Ew! Frustrated I gave him an Oatmeal bath, changed his food to super expensive hypo-allergenic food and started him on 2.5 tablets of Benadryl twice a day. Things seemed to be going OK, until...
Another two weeks went by and the dog is scratching even more and he is starting to lose patches of hair and has started licking along with the scratching. Some biting too. Ugh, no! Still thinking it's allergies I take him to the Groomer to get him a nice shave and a bath. The Groomer fixes him up real nice and mentions she notices the scabbing as well but that his rash should be healed up because they used a nice Oatmeal shampoo, but suggested that we try getting a medicated shampoo because it's possible he has a bacterial skin infection as he still slightly smelled like a corn chip (a smell she said that just won't go away without treatment).
The itching continues after the grooming and I purchase Malapet shampoo and lather him up. The rash gets better and so does the itching, and I continue with the Benadryl.
The itching continues...AGGGGH!

One night I'm on the floor brushing and petting Samson when I see a flea run across his belly. I'm super fast so I grab the thing and drown it to make sure I can save it to make sure it's a flea. Yep, it's a flea. SERIOUSLY?! My dogs are on flea prevention so of course I'm upset.
I flea shampoo the dogs, flea powder the carpets, flea spray the dogs.
Still itching and still found a flea crawling on his belly.
WHAT?!
SERIOUSLY?!
Ugh, okay...time for something different...
At this point my poor pup is super flaky and smelly and he is bleeding and red from the scratching and biting and licking and it's just awful.

I purchase some Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth and spread it around the entire house and cover the dogs in it. I wait 3 days and get it off the carpet and leave it on the dogs.
STILL SCRATCHING!
sdlfakjsd;lfkjasdlkf SERIOUSLY?!
Aggggh!
No fleas found though, so....did it work? Hm...

Tonight we decided to bathe the dogs in Dawn dish soap and let it sit for 10 minutes and we found no fleas in the tub or on the dogs. We also applied more Malapet to Samson since he smelled like a corn chip again (yuck!).

Samson is still itching and licking (mostly his paws/legs and his head/ears, butt/tail) but not as bad as before. His skin isn't as flaky (yet) or red. I also applied some Purification oil to his red spots and some Lemon Grass oils to his collar. I have also been putting in Apple Cider Vinegar in their water as well as giving Samson his Benadryl.

Since Samson is still itching, and itching in these areas, what is most likely the cause? Is it still fleas even though we didn't find any? Allergies? Another skin condition? PLEASE HELP! I'm going insane and I'm running out of money!

sorry for the long post!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
What has the Vet said when it reappeared? The Vet is the first place to start when an animal has a "serious" issue. Could be allergy to fleas, food or whatever. Could be a skin or yeast problem. A skin scraping could be warranted to determine it isn't anything more serious.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Every time we have gone to the vet he has just given him the same allergy shot. He gets 'better' for a few days and then the process starts all over again.
Maybe I need a new opinion I guess. We've just been with him for awhile and he has always come so highly recommended that I wanted to believe that if it were serious he'd tell us. Plus, it's extremely difficult to get in to see him...no appointments, just walk-in. So I try to avoid seeing the vet as much as we can, that's why I ended up here before making our third trip to wait 3 hours to see him again. Country doctors are so hard to get into, haha.
He is due for his rabies shot in October so I guess when I take him for that I can ask for a skin scraping if this itching is still happening.
I guess I was just hoping someone here would have had a similar experience and know what was going on and be able to clue me in.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Since he gives an allergy treatment and it gets better maybe it's environmental or food. Zoey had yeasty ears and UTIs as a pup and I went through a lot of Vet visits, cleaning of ears, treating of ears and changing of food along with probiotics/cranberry extract and eventually all her problems went away. Why? - I have no clue, maybe the probiotics or maybe the food or maybe she outgrew it. If you are smelling a certain smell that might be a sign of a yeast problem - could be the food or your dog needs probiotics to get it's intestinal bacteria working correctly or both ... again, I have no clue why Zoey stopped having issues.

Since you've been to this Vet a few times without great results it may be time for a second opinion as you said.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts