Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried feeding her coconut oil, putting coconut oil all over her body...still the dandruff won't go away. I feed her the best quality food on the market. She seems very healthy - her poops are good, never throws up, doesn't seem to scratch herself excessively.

Any other ideas? Could it be sometning outside of dandruff? Just looks like little white flakes over her body

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
It might not be the best food for her. I'd try changing what you are feeding her, and see if that makes a difference. I once tried a food that was highly rated by Whole Dog Magazine as "one of the best" foods available at the time... my mutt wound up looking like a walking snow storm and my Rat Terrier wound up hospitalized with acute pancreatitis. I threw away the last 10 pounds of a 30 pound bag.

·
Registered
2 Posts
bigdave117, maybe you should try some simple food instead of "best quality"? Although I'm not quite sure what you mean by best quality. Anyway, I would show her to a vet, for make sure it's nothing serious. I've been reading something about it, as I remember on this exact The-Hunting-Dog blog, where professionals collect all known information about dogs and different breeds as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bigdave117, maybe you should try some simple food instead of "best quality"? Although I'm not quite sure what you mean by best quality. Anyway, I would show her to a vet, for make sure it's nothing serious.
i'm feeding her bully max, gets 5 stars everywhere

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
i'm feeding her bully max, gets 5 stars everywhere
That doesn't mean it's the right food for her.

I've fed some of those "5 star" foods, and wound up with dogs who looked and felt horrible. The one I referenced in my previous post was a "5 star" food. I've fed others where they had constantly loose stools, and lost weight because of it. I've fed some where they did okay on, but that I didn't feel the cost was worth just okay.

So far, the foods that I've seen the most dogs do well on are "middle of the road" foods, generally from companies like Purina, Hill's, and the like.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That doesn't mean it's the right food for her.

I've fed some of those "5 star" foods, and wound up with dogs who looked and felt horrible. The one I referenced in my previous post was a "5 star" food. I've fed others where they had constantly loose stools, and lost weight because of it. I've fed some where they did okay on, but that I didn't feel the cost was worth just okay.

So far, the foods that I've seen the most dogs do well on are "middle of the road" foods, generally from companies like Purina, Hill's, and the like.
My girl is having very consistent poops and she is gaining lots of muscle on bully max. Last 7 days especially she is getting really muscular

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Is she a blue pit bull? They seem to have more skin issues than others maybe in connection with the dilute color gene.

Gaining muscle isn't the main goal if it comes at the expense of other issues. Bully Max food isn't bad but if its not the best for her, its worth trying another.

Look for something with really simple ingredients. One protein, one main carb.
I have had success with these foods for sensitive skin and stomach type pit bulls with Fromm Classic, Sportmix Chicken, Victor, and PurinaPro Salmon as a starting place.

Outside of food, how do you wash her bedding or any blankets she sleeps on? Detergent and fabric softeners can be major skin irritants

If you bathe her, what shampoo or wash?

What flea and tick medication are you using?

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
Has your vet had a look? There's a type of mites that can cause a condition known as "walking dandruff" (cheyletiellosis) that they might want to check for.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is she a blue pit bull? They seem to have more skin issues than others maybe in connection with the dilute color gene.

Gaining muscle isn't the main goal if it comes at the expense of other issues. Bully Max food isn't bad but if its not the best for her, its worth trying another.

Look for something with really simple ingredients. One protein, one main carb.
I have had success with these foods for sensitive skin and stomach type pit bulls with Fromm Classic, Sportmix Chicken, Victor, and PurinaPro Salmon as a starting place.

Outside of food, how do you wash her bedding or any blankets she sleeps on? Detergent and fabric softeners can be major skin irritants

If you bathe her, what shampoo or wash?

What flea and tick medication are you using?
I use normal flea and tick medication my doctor recommended

standard shampoo from store

I use normal detergent on the blanket she sleeps on but to be honest, I never thought about this as a common issue. Is that really a skin irritant?

her dandruff is pretty mild to be honest but I would like to get rid of it completely because she has very beautiful coat

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
She's adorable.

For food supplements, i would suggest fish oil instead of coconut oil and no using anything topically. Just a squirt of fish oil on her food.

So "normal" flea meds doesn't actually tell me anything. Are you using a topical treatment, collar or pill? What brand?

Same with "standard" shampoo...is it scented? Oatmeal? Made for puppies? What brand? How often do you bath her?
While often marked as skin soothing, oatmeal shampoos can bother some dogs.

Be very thorough when rinsing her beause any shampoo left on her skin can irritate. Its OK to bathe as needed since puppies get messy but the key is rinse, rinse, rinse.

Soaps and detergents are common skin irritants, if your laundry soap is scented then try a "free and clear" type with no dyes or scents. No static sheets in the dryer either as they work by leaving a residue on the fabric.

If the dandruff is mild and doesn't bother her with itching, then I wouldn't worry too much about it as she may grow out of it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
She is super cute!
If you like the food, may be try a different formula. A lot of dogs don't do well on chicken.
I have my (15 year old) Pit Bull on Victor, my other dogs are on Kinetic 26.
I agree with adding the fish oil, rather than coconut oil.
How often are you bathing her? Unless she rolls in something stinky, or has fleas, she probably doesn't need a bath.
Mine gets 1 bath a year, plus a rinse after going to the beach. I always get compliments on how clean my dogs are.

Before trying anything, I'd have your vet check her over.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts