Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have adopted a 1 1/2 year old toy poodle/terrier mix dog from my local shelter, his name is Sugar, he has adapted well to his new home except for I cannot get him to eat. He will drink but not eat. Worried I went back to the shelter and the lady told me that he may be grieving his brother because they have never been seperated (he was adpoted by another family) to give him a day so I did still not able to get him to eat, I thought that maybe I should try a different brand, so once again I returned to the shelter and bought the same food he was fed there, still no luck. I have tried hand feeding, feeding him on the floor, feeding him with my other dog and nothing. Please help how can I get him to eat???

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Try boiling some skinless, boneless chicken and rice. Try offering small meals several times a day. Are you feeding him separately from your other dog? He may feel intimidated eating near him. Or maybe if you are feeding him in a crate, he doesn't feel comfortable there, or vice versa. Or try feeding him in the same room as your other dog, where he CAN see him eat, but is far enough away, that he still feels safe.'
Have you tried sitting on a couch and put his food on the floor beside you? My dogs won't eat unless I am in the room.

Otherwise, give him a few days. As long as he is drinking water he should be ok. Do exercise him, as it can help relieve anxiety if he is stressed about being in a new place. it'll also stimulate his appetite.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts