Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I am unable to feed my dog at his usual time, what would be the best alternative? Should I feed him early? Late? Not at all? Leave out some food? I'm just trying to figure out the best option for him. Thanks!

·
Registered
17,913 Posts
Feed early or late - I'd probably go early. I can't feed my dogs on schedule soley because if I get too predictable a couple of them hunger puke the first time food comes 5 minutes late. Keeping it somewhat variable prevents them creating stomach acid in anticipation of the meal or at least that's the explanation from the vet.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
It kind of depends on the dog. As CptJack mentioned, some dogs throw up of their stomach gets too empty.

I don't really have a set "must feed them at this time" schedule, more of a "they get fed anywhere between X:00 and Y:00", which generally covers a roughly two hour time frame.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
My dogs eat at different times depending on the schedule for that day. Breakfast can be anywhere between 3:30am and 9am depending on the day, and dinner can be anywhere between 4:30pm and 10pm. My small dog gets lunch somewhere near the middle of the day because he gets sick otherwise.

I never want my dogs on a set schedule where they start acting hungry or expecting dinner at a certain time. I never want to HAVE TO GET UP AT 6AM EVERY DAY NO MATTER WHAT TO FEED THE DOGS.

Don't skip meals, that isn't cool. I have one dog who won't eat before 6am, but I always offer her breakfast on my earlier days and make sure she gets the food she missed at dinner. Do keep in mind pottying factors, though. The later I feed my dogs, the later I have to stay up for them to get their last potty of the night in.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
You could split up the meal and do half before the usual time and half after. That way he doesn't have to wait too long and be hungry and also doesn't have to wait longer than normal for the next meal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts