Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my girl, Ellie, for a week now.

When I got her from the shelter, she had kennel cough, and I was given about 2 weeks worth of doxycycline to treat her, and have been doing so 2x/day for a week.

She wasn't eating much of anything, which I assumed was because of the cough. A volunteer at the shelter told me that the cough disrupts their sense of smell, and if they can't smell their food, they don't eat it. I've heard that before when dealing with cats, so it made sense to me. They told me if I was having trouble getting her to eat, I should put salmon on her food, because the smell if so strong.

That worked a little, but she had never totally eaten her food. I give her about 1 cup of Pedigree Adult, and thought that perhaps she just wasn't hungry enough to eat a whole cup.

Now a week later, her cough is almost gone, but she still hasn't started eating very well. She'll eat a little with it coated in salmon, but that's about it. I worry about her not eating enough.

A friend of mine suggested buying her canned food, and then slowly mixing it with the dry food. I think I'm going to do this - anything to get her eating - but I was wondering if there are any pros./cons. to canned food.

Sorry that was so long, but any input here would be appreciated!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I say give it a try. At this point anything to get your dog to eat something is a great step forward.

Maddie gets a teaspoon of wet on her dry food. We buy Merrick dry and wet. The wet actually smells really good! The Grammy's Pot Pie makes me hungry when I smell it!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts