Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yup!
Canned food is definitely better than dry. Think of it as the difference between stew and and jerky. Which one is fresher and more wholesome?
And true again. Would you trust a dentist that said to go munch on some cereal to clean your teeth? Or have you ever seen a dog throw up? Have you ever noticed most of the kibbles are whole and not chewed up at all?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So would it be better to feed predominantly canned food? If I can afford to feed strictly canned food, would that be better?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I don't really feel one form of food is better over another. Some canned foods are better than some dry foods and vice versa. I like adding canned food to my dog's kibble daily since I believe having moisture with the meal is important.

I have a small dog so I could afford to feed all canned food but I personally don't feel comfortable doing it. There isn't a single canned food out there that I feel is good enough to feed my dog long term for the rest of her life. None of the companies are that impressive to me. Then the canned foods I do like are usually for supplemental feeding only.

Also, I don't believe dry food cleans teeth but her teeth definitely get more tartar build up a lot quicker when I only feed canned food. This is why I feed a variety of stuff and believe it's best.

Everyone has an opinion on what's a better food. You just have to feed what you feel is best for your dog, not what other people tell you is best.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Minka interesting article from mercola. It is primarily a sales presentation to purchase the book however. Has anyone purchased the cook book? It is not real expensive.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Personally, for the money spent on canned food - one could do homecooked meals or raw for far cheaper.

My experience however with tartar build up, had more to do with the amount of carb's in a food, versus one with less carbs - i.e. sticky. Don't know why, that's just what I've noticed.

Canned food has more moisture which is superb for kidney health; dogs were not meant to eat *dry* food as a constant their entire lives. And sometimes I wonder if kidney problems come from consuming high protein dry foods their entire lifespan.

High protein is excellent, but with a certain amount of healthy moisture.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Woofie2,

Which canned food is the best barring money? In the video she doesn't state specifically and probably could not. It has to say "well balanced." I notice one thing. When I home cook for my dog his poop is not runny nor smelly at all. On kibble, it is a bad foul smell. horrible--Even if he eats fish home cooked, no odors and less scratching. I have used wellness canned food. Any others that are a high quality?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I am not sure I get why the higher moisture content in canned food is better than the low moisture content found in kibble is better, if the dog is provided and drinks plenty of fresh water daily. Besides providing the dog with plenty of fresh water, adding water to kibble would seem to boost the moisture content. As far as teeth cleaning, I have found a combination of adding a product called Plaque Off to the evening meal and giving my dog a knuckle or femur bone to chew on regularly has kept Kenji's teeth looking great.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I am not sure I get why the higher moisture content in canned food is better than the low moisture content found in kibble is better, if the dog is provided and drinks plenty of fresh water daily. Besides providing the dog with plenty of fresh water, adding water to kibble would seem to boost the moisture content. As far as teeth cleaning, I have found a combination of adding a product called Plaque Off to the evening meal and giving my dog a knuckle or femur bone to chew on regularly has kept Kenji's teeth looking great.
I personally think it's better to have moisture with the meal, not hope my dog drinks enough later in the day. I believe it helps with digestion, and like others have said, is less stressful on the kidneys than dry protein. If your dog will eat kibble soaked in water than great, that works too. My dog won't.

For teeth, I use various chews too and Petzlife gel. My aging Chi has perfect teeth.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Minka interesting article from mercola. It is primarily a sales presentation to purchase the book however. Has anyone purchased the cook book? It is not real expensive.
What? She doesn't even mention the book till the last sentence and that's only if you want help making home made meals..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts