Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Canine Vasectomy

I didn't want to hijack anyone's thread, so I'll ask the question here:

Have any of you owners of intact males considered vasectomy as an alternative to castration? I agree with many here that controlling the horndog instincts, for a dog's entire lifetime, is not without opportunities for failure. A smart dog is a problem solver. Getting out to mate is a problem that many dogs devote all their considerable mental resources toward solving.

I have a 3 year old male, who I like just the way he is. I'm reluctant to risk (even if the risk is small) having his drive diminished by castration. I know opinions differ on whether castrating an adult dog changes his behavior--other than primary sexual drive behaviors--but humor me a little. A number of folks, far more knowledgeable than me, have claimed to observe such changes.

Vasectomy has a number of cons, and one is that it is not 100% reliable. Okay, I'm not letting my dog out to roam anyway. Also, any of the health risks associated with intact males are present in a vasectomied male. OTOH, the positive effects of testosterone (like maintenance of lean muscle mass) are unaffected by the procedure. I don't know if the procedure prevents a dog from being shown, but my interests lie elsewhere. I think this may be a better option for people who want to foreclose a young dog's reproductive capabilities, but don't want to go down the desex road with one who is still growing.

Anyone have 1st or 2nd hand experience with this procedure? On a dog?

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I'm not familiar with it, but I'm in favor of anything that keeps the canine population down. What are the pros of this? You mentioned testosterone level not being lowered, but what else is there beyond that?

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are the pros of this? You mentioned testosterone level not being lowered, but what else is there beyond that?
That's mainly it. The procedure is also less invasive, and my not require as much anesthesia. Whether a vet would be willing to perform a vasectomy with a local anesthetic, I don't know--but tend to doubt. If aesthetics matter to you, there is that advantage, too. Testicular prostheses are actually installed in castrated dogs--don't ask, that seems a little weird to me.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
If it was readily available, yes, I would definitely consider it, although frankly, managing an intact boy just isn't nearly as difficult as most people want to make it sound.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
If it was readily available, yes, I would definitely consider it, although frankly, managing an intact boy just isn't nearly as difficult as most people want to make it sound.
I have to agree. As long as my dog can be managed and contained, I see no need for any type of surgery.

But if that was not the case, if he was prone to roaming and I was unable to keep him contained I might consider it. But the OP mentioned it’s not 100% effective. So if I have already decided I'm not responsible enough to keep my dog from randomly mating, then I need to do the responsible thing and have him neutered.

But I understand your reasoning behind not wanting his behavior to change. My male is already pretty mellow. If he became any more so he might go into a coma.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I think it's good idea, if you can find a vet to do it. Even responsible owners can have "accidents" and unwanted puppies are not something anyone needs.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Why not? If it can be effective and causes less harm - I'd go for it.

I'm a believer in doing as little "unnatural" manipulation as possible.

You know, I'm surprised no one's invented dog condoms - or birth control implants for female dogs.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Why not? If it can be effective and causes less harm - I'd go for it.

I'm a believer in doing as little "unnatural" manipulation as possible.

You know, I'm surprised no one's invented dog condoms - or birth control implants for female dogs.
There is a drug to stop female dogs heat cycles, sort of like a birth control pill. It only works as long as the dog is taking the drug. But it's always made me nervous since my intact bitch will most likely be breed. I wonder if it effects their fertility down the line.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
I think you mean Check Drops. Jimmy used them on Gennie and Geneva to keep them out of season so they could keep showing.

It does affect fertility.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I think you mean Check Drops. Jimmy used them on Gennie and Geneva to keep them out of season so they could keep showing.

It does affect fertility.
That’s good to know. A friend of mine has a dog that is prone to false pregnancies and she wanted an easy way to prevent that while specialing her. Her dog is being pulled out now to be bred. I really hope that doesn't cause them a problem.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I don't see how dog "condoms" could possibly be used....if you knew your dog was going to breed a female, you could just prevent him from breeding her and that would be the end of it.

I do think implants for females would be a good idea. Like Norplant in humans. It probably wouldn't lessen cancer risk or anything, but at least it would prevent unwanted litters. I think there is an organization that's trying to develop non-surgical sterilization techniques for pets.

They tried to popularize Neutersol (injectable sterilization for males), but it never took off. I don't know why.

·
Banned
363 Posts
Good question marsh muppet.
Below is a write-up from a dog "health" web site.
As usual, the issue is clouded with the typical "neutering is essential and solves all sorts of issues and has no negative effects" propaganda.

My guess is that vasectomies would be an ideal solution for many dogs but it doesn't happen because of all the propaganda about the wonders of neutering. Sad.

Well, if your one and only purpose in having your dog neutered is preventing him from fathering puppies, you could choose a vasectomy. Some veterinarians will perform this procedure, which will sterilize a dog but leave the genitals intact. It's a more difficult and time-consuming procedure than castration, and also more expensive.

A vasectomy doesn't provide all of the benefits of a full castration, however, which is why some veterinarians won't perform it. It doesn't protect against testicular tumors, which are common in older, intact males. It also doesn't protect against testosterone-influenced diseases, such as perianal hernia and perianal adenomas.

Also, because testosterone is still present in a dog's system after a vasectomy, your dog would still exhibit the behavior of a dog that hasn't been neutered. He would still try to go through the motions of mating with female dogs, for example. He would probably fight with other dogs to defend his territory and breeding rights, and he would mark his territory (inside and outside) with urine. He would also have the urge to roam to find mating partners.

If your main concern is having your dog look intact after surgery, you can have him castrated and have testicle implants placed in his scrotum. These are surgically placed inside your dog's tissue, much like breast implants. With these implants, your dog can be castrated without changing in appearance.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I know of others who have had vasectomies on their males and it is something I have considered for Yansa. When I first learned about them, a couple years back, I thought it was a great idea and wondered why I didn't think of it. lol :rolleyes:

Jihad
and the pound puppy crew.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts