Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been considering looking into autologous stem cell therapy for my Saluki because of a persistent, two year problem involving his left leg/hip which is apparently the result of an injury. We’ve pretty much exhausted non-invasive modes of treatment without much lasting improvement though feel that at nearly 10 years, he’s probably not a good candidate for surgery. I’ve read lots of info available on the Internet and watched numerous videos of dogs & horses shortly after the procedure but wonder about months down the line or about those cases that were not as successful. If anyone has any information, impressions, 1st, 2nd or 3rd hand knowledge of this procedure done, I’d LOVE hearing from you. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I proably won't be of much help here, since I've never heard of stem cell therapy being done. I was under the impresion that they were still researching it's potential and didn't have anthing out on the market yet. I very much doubt that any of have experience with it unfortunatly. Your best option may be contacting the vet that can do the stem cell therapy and getting thier take on it.

I was mainly curious as to the leg/hip problem that can be treated with stem cells. I always got the impression that stem cells were used for cancer treatment or to help regenerate tissues. As you can tell I don't know a thing about stem cells, lol.

And on a side note it's an unwriten rule that anyone with a sighthound must share pictures :D Most of the members here adore all the sighthound breeds. I'm planing on getting an Afghan for my next dog.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
As for pictures of my beautiful Salukis, I'll try to figure out how to post something at the first opportunity. I consider Afghans the long-haired version of the Saluki -- too much grooming for my busy life!
Well if you go back into the breed histories they were the same once. Up until breeders argued that the lesser coated saluki varitey had an unfair advantage showing and the all mighty dog guru separated them.

It's interesting that stem cells can be obtained from fat. Do you know if it's the same way for humans? There's certainly lots of fat dogs that could benefit from a "donation", though a doubt your salukis have much fat to choose from.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.