Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 527 Posts

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all love to take photos of our dogs and sharing them where we can. I thought it might be nice to start a Canine photography thread. We have so much talent on this forum. I suspect some professional photographers and some hobby photographers with a lot of talent. Might be nice if some of the Pro's or talented hobbyists would be willing to share some tips and tricks to help others.

I am hoping that people will post photos they took and perhaps talk just a little about them and be willing to answer questions where they can. Is there any interest in this?

I am a hobbyist, I just enjoy taking photos. I particularly like taking photos of dogs and have done a fair amount of doggy photos. Here are a couple of mine but I am hoping to learn more tips and tricks here.

Hope a lot of you will participate. Please feel free to constructively critique photos but be respectful and offer alternative options to improve photos. :) Show us your work

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think this thread is a great idea. At the moment all I have to take pictures with is my phone camera but I hope to get a really nice camera someday. In the meantime, I could learn a lot from a thread like this. Not to mention your photos are beautiful. I especially love the first and third ones.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I like the idea, and I'm a hobbyist, too. I like your photos, the first and third are lovely head studies. (Excuse me while I wipe the drool for the Rottie off the keyboard - my favorite breed!) My only critique would be a strictly personal preference for a more non-traditional pose, like your 2nd photo, or a different perspective on the head shots for a more interesting shot.

Here are a couple of my photos.

Riley with his well-loved Lambie

Water dog

This one is strictly a snapshot, but it makes me laugh. I should have grabbed a tripod for the shot, but that would have made one or the other leave...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Bailey.jpg BUBBA.jpg IMG_4587.jpg edited_1481509418360.jpg

Here are a few snapshots my Mother-in-law took this weekend during our Christmas Family photo shoot. And one of Bailey and Mosin meeting Santa. :)

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think this thread is a great idea. At the moment all I have to take pictures with is my phone camera but I hope to get a really nice camera someday. In the meantime, I could learn a lot from a thread like this. Not to mention your photos are beautiful. I especially love the first and third ones.

Feel free to post shots for your phone at this time, until you get another camera. It isn't a competition, just a place to share and learn. :) Thanks for the kind words. I like the first one best but only because it is my dog. lol

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the idea, and I'm a hobbyist, too. I like your photos, the first and third are lovely head studies. (Excuse me while I wipe the drool for the Rottie off the keyboard - my favorite breed!) My only critique would be a strictly personal preference for a more non-traditional pose, like your 2nd photo, or a different perspective on the head shots for a more interesting shot.

Here are a couple of my photos.

Riley with his well-loved Lambie
Love this. Nice focus on the eye.

This one is strictly a snapshot, but it makes me laugh. I should have grabbed a tripod for the shot, but that would have made one or the other leave...
No kidding. I rarely use a tripod just because it is often a grab and shoot since the animal will leave so quickly, especially kitties.
I love the look on your pups face here. It is funny how much respect for cats most dogs have.

For less traditional:

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One more just because I think it is sort of funny but obviously not a good quality photo.

They don't always have to be.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm looking into getting a nice camera eventually. All of my pictures of my pack are on my phone camera and they just aren't as good. If only nice cameras weren't so darn expensive!!!

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm looking into getting a nice camera eventually. All of my pictures of my pack are on my phone camera and they just aren't as good. If only nice cameras weren't so darn expensive!!!
and didn't break. My nice camera has a focus issue and I am really struggling with it now but just can't afford to get it fixed at this time so...I take more photos and hope to get one good one.

Feel free to share phone, photos. i have seen some very nice photos taken with phones

Where did you get the little sweater tutu for your dog? Too cute

·
Registered
205 Posts
and didn't break. My nice camera has a focus issue and I am really struggling with it now but just can't afford to get it fixed at this time so...I take more photos and hope to get one good one.

Feel free to share phone, photos. i have seen some very nice photos taken with phones

Where did you get the little sweater tutu for your dog? Too cute
I might share a few. I have a couple hundred on my phone easily. I'm that weird lady that stares at my animals all the time even when they aren't doing anything particularly remarkable. HA!

The sweater came from wal-mart, on a whim when I stopped in there for the first time in about a year, surprisingly, and the tutu portion came from amazon. Disclaimer: I do not usually dress my dogs. Lol.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I might share a few. I have a couple hundred on my phone easily. I'm that weird lady that stares at my animals all the time even when they aren't doing anything particularly remarkable. HA!
Good, then I am not alone in that. This is why I have to have my camera handy because one never knows when they will look extra cute and I will have to try to capture it. That said, I rarely pick the camera up in time but will often still snap off a few shots, just because. lol
The sweater came from wal-mart, on a whim when I stopped in there for the first time in about a year, surprisingly, and the tutu portion came from amazon. Disclaimer: I do not usually dress my dogs. Lol.
I have Rottweilers that wear coats and I have a tutu for mine as well. I am not to proud to admit it. I think my dogs are tough enough to handle it too. lol

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My German Shepherd Varik. Taken with my pitiable phone (which is ancient). Snowing .. but he didn't notice. He's pointing at his chuck it on the deck.

Beautiful black Shepherd. Love that he is holding his ears back to keep the snow out. Thanks for sharing the picture......More, please. :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Inga - LOVE your photos! Especially the lighting on the 2nd to last one of your non-traditionals, and I have to ask, in the last photo - doing the backstroke? Then there's the tutu et al. Thanks for nearly making me spit my drink on my keyboard. :D I thought I was bad, dressing up Riley for various holidays... I realize I'm an amateur. Lol!

Galathiel - I like your photo, and I love the concentration he's showing. Did his doggy zen make the chuck-it move?

·
Registered
619 Posts
It's like mind control. Zombie like, I shuffled forward and picked it up and threw the ball.

This is his 3 year old birthday picture back in April: (guess what I'm holding in my hand while my husband snaps the pic on his phone):

·
Registered
433 Posts
Fun thread! I am by no means professional photographer, but I have been playing around with photography for a bit and thought I would share a few! As some of you know, I foster pregnant dogs and young litters, so I get plenty of picture taking practice. Curious to see what everyone thinks. :)

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Inga - LOVE your photos! Especially the lighting on the 2nd to last one of your non-traditionals, and I have to ask, in the last photo - doing the backstroke? Then there's the tutu et al. Thanks for nearly making me spit my drink on my keyboard. :D I thought I was bad, dressing up Riley for various holidays... I realize I'm an amateur. Lol!Thank you. The backstroke picture or...snorkeling as I like to call it, was just a quick shot as she was playing with my old boy and flipped over. Thanks for your kind words on the lighting, I have really been trying for that look for awhile. I struggle with dramatic lighting. Glad you liked it. I would like it to be a little softer but it is not too bad.

Galathiel - I like your photo, and I love the concentration he's showing. Did his doggy zen make the chuck-it move?
It's like mind control. Zombie like, I shuffled forward and picked it up and threw the ball.

This is his 3 year old birthday picture back in April: (guess what I'm holding in my hand while my husband snaps the pic on his phone): Awesome shot. Your dog is gorgeous. Love that intense love for his ball. :)

Fun thread! I am by no means professional photographer, but I have been playing around with photography for a bit and thought I would share a few! As some of you know, I foster pregnant dogs and young litters, so I get plenty of picture taking practice. Curious to see what everyone thinks. :)

LOVE LOVE LOVE puppy shots. What a great opportunity to practice cute puppy shots. Thanks for helping to save lives. Rescue is Nobel work.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
LoveMyFosters

As far as what I think of your photos, you can't go wrong with puppies. I especially love the close ups and I think anytime you focus on the eyes, it makes for a more powerful shot...unless the shot is of puppy feet and that cuteness can stand alone. :) Great job!

Lighting is boring on these focus isn't great but it shows the personality of a puppy. Which in this case was BRAT! That puppy is the same dog as the one in the Tutu above and the dramatic lighting on the face shot. She isn't a brat anymore. LOL

Keeping the background uncluttered also helps.

·
Registered
216 Posts
A few more photos...

Riley in shadow

Okay, so Riley isn't the best at catching his ball... but he does try.

This was from a few years ago, but it's one of my favorites of Murphy in the lake.

A snapshot of Murphy's brother, Mick, coming down from his favorite tree. The top was wedged in another tree, well over 20 ft up. Lost him to cancer 2 yrs. ago Dec. 1.

This photo sometimes catches people off guard, trying to figure out if Riley is really that small...

Riley puts up with a lot... although I've never tried a tutu.

1 - 20 of 527 Posts