Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question.

For the Canadian Canine Good Neighbour, how tight does the heel portion generally have to be?

We were just informed that Manna and I are on the short list for the December testing and I want to brush up on everything.

She tends to lag on her heel a bit. yeah she's weird, she doesn't forge ahead but she lags.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
I dunno if the CGN is like the US Canine Good Citizen. In the US version,"heel" is not formal obedience, just reasonable control, and not reaching out to bite, sniff, play with any passersby or dogs.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dunno if the CGN is like the US Canine Good Citizen. In the US version,"heel" is not formal obedience, just reasonable control, and not reaching out to bite, sniff, play with any passersby or dogs.
I hear it's the equivalent testing...basically different names because of different countries but I'm not exactly sure.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
We didn't have to do a formal obedience type heel. As long as the dog is under your control and not pulling you around it's generally fine.

I hear it's the equivalent testing...basically different names because of different countries but I'm not exactly sure.
It is the same except the CGN has 2 additional elements. The walking through the doorway and something else I can't remember...

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Praise / interaction is the other test unique to the CGN.

Typically .. wind up your dog with play and get them excited first, and then cue them to sit or settle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts