Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

My male dog, Navarre, is a mixed breed.

Yesterday, I took him to the vet. During our conversation, she mentioned that I might want to get him tested for what breed he is. He had just turned 9 years old and she mentioned some inherent diseases to be on the watch for.

I got on Amazon last night and lord almighty, there were pages of test kits.

So, I'm asking, anyone out in the Web Void, have some recommendations?

Thank you,

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I liked the Embark test I did - it determined breed and tested for some genetic diseases, along with some other interesting stuff like coat color and whatnot.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I liked the Embark test I did - it determined breed and tested for some genetic diseases, along with some other interesting stuff like coat color and whatnot.
I hope you don't mind, but I'm posting a link to your Embark thread. I enjoyed reading that post and seeing all the things they tested for. Seeing the thread should give the OP more of an idea of what she'd get if she went with Embark.
https://www.dogforums.com/general-dog-forum/505098-embark-dog-genetic-test.html

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Not at all - that's helpful :)

On the site each of the things is clickable through to an explanation of what the results mean. What I posted was just the printable report.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The Beauceron community swears by Embark. It's more expensive but it tests for some of the rare breeds (like the Beauceron). It also gives a LOT of details about the DNA.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
EMBARK is the only one worth the money, IMO. They use the most markers and are partnered with academic research institutions, which neither DNA MY Dog nor Wisdom Panel are.

It is the most expensive, but you get what you pay for and for me, I picked the test that I knew I would have the most confidence in.

My dogs' results are here:
https://my.embarkvet.com/dog/snowball3

https://my.embarkvet.com/dog/ida

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Either Wisdom 4.0 or Embark are fine. I've tested multiple dogs with both tests and the results came out pretty much the same, the biggest difference being that Embark has Alaskan-type husky on their breed list and Embark doesn't, so the pumpkin pie puppies came back as half husky mix on Wisdom and Alaskan type husky on Embark.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm curious about Laurel's breeds so that I can learn how to take better care of her. If I was too naive about puppy mill resellers to spot one on "gotcha day", I need health info not cute answers to "What breed is she?", and a degree of accuracy that I can rely on as far as finding a similar temperment in a well-bred dog if, God forbid, I outlive my new puppy.

It sounds like Embark is going to be the best bet for that. Poor people's dogs are usually pit mixes or chihuahua mixes in my local area and I love both options but wound up being chosen by Laurel, a micro-mutt with obvious terrier ancestors who has always felt like "the best of both worlds".

She will be spayed because there are enough dogs like her in the world already. I just wish it were easier for low-income people to be matched with reputable breeders and easier to communicate what qualities are most important for us. A good watch dog can make the difference between life and death, but unconditional love and companionship are even more important "survival gear" than a loud bark and sharp teeth when you don't feel valued by your own species.

The problem isn't because "smelly dirty funny-looking homeless [people] must be forced to get rid of their dogs" or that pitties and chihuahuas are "bad dogs", it is lack of transportation to the vaccine clinic or lack of interest in providing such services from veterinarians who are closer to "the wrong side of the tracks".

Whatever kind of terrier wound up in my "po' fo'kes chicawawa" is well worth whatever it actually costs to breed, raise, and train well. Health issues could theoretically be bred out over time. I would enjoy learning more about the "mystery breed" that contributed to Laurel's temperment and perhaps volunteering for some breed-specific rescue organization.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts