Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Sadly my big boy has lung cancer. The tumors have spread to both lungs and all his vets agree that any further treatment is pointless at this stage. We are now just using medication to help with the symptoms. Our goal at this point is just to give him the highest quality life possible in his remaining days. His pain is not too bad yet, he still runs and plays with our other dogs and can go on walks, he just gets winded and tired much faster. I'm just wondering what others in this situation have done to help manage cancer and give your dog the best remaining days.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your boy. I don't have experience with this, but there a number of really good yahoo groups focused on a variety of canine illnesses. It's been a while since I've been on there. The Sumner Foundation yahoo group is more specific to hemangiosarcoma and there is also a Canine Cancer group. Both are very active and might be a good option for helping you manage his care.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
My thoughts and prayers are with all of you as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. I found the yahoo group and it looks to be quite helpful. Hearing the diagnosis was very surprising to us as he is still relatively young and his symptoms were not typical, so it was unexpected to say the least. We're also puzzled as to how he got lung cancer. Our vet said it was quite rare, especially considering that my wife and I do not smoke. He is a rescue that we got when he was a little over 1, perhaps his original household was a smoking house. In any case it is what it is and we must do the best we can.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts