Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:
My 6-years' old Beagle seems to have 'Arthitis' issue because he often walks with limp, particularly after 30 minutes' walk in the neighborhood. For this, I've been giving one table, 'Aleve' or any pain-killer meds. to ease his limping.

One thing I can not determine whether he actually sufferring from 'canine Arthritis' is that he NEVER shows any 'painful noise,' like 'yupping.' Also, he loves to jump onto the med. to high couches setting in both Living-room and Back-room. He even makes one of couches in the back-room, ... 'his own bed' to sleep every nights. :)

Just wonder whether he has 'canine Arthritis' or just only his one of back, left leg is shorter than his back, right leg? :confused:

Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My Zora is presently having x-rays done for a similar problem. Zora would generally start limping at the end of the day and when she would relax (which is not very often!). The vet told me that even though I have noticed the limping only last week she probably had the problem for quite a while since the muscles in that leg are atrophied.

He said it could be arthritis, could be a rupture anterior cruciate ligament or miniscus, but the only way a knowing is x-ray. It could all be caused by an fall or it could be related to a hip problem...

While I was writing this the vet called... It is a partial ruptured ACL, she will need surgery... no hip problem, thank god!! Since she's only 1 1/2 years old and a though cookie, prognostic is good!!!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I suppose it could be symptoms of arthritis, with dogs, it's extremely hard to gage their pain level because their pain tolerance is so high and it's not natural for them to show that they are in pain. Their natural instinct (in the wild) is to hide their pain so to predators they do not look weak. That being said...
It seems odd that this happens after you walks, I would think if arthritis was truly setting in, he would be uncomfortable through out the day, not just after walking. That, to me, sounds more like a muscle issues...perhaps one that is torn or strained and the more he uses it, the more "sore" it gets.
If you haven't had a vet check him out, you probably should...
If it does turn out to be a joint problem that is related to arthritis, a chondroitin supplement like Glycoflex or Dasuquin would help. Adding Apple Cider Vinegar to his food or water will also help alleviate some of the symptoms of arthritis, if that is the case....

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Typically arthritis pain is worse in the morning when the dog is stiff from a nights sleep and tends to get better as the dog moves more throughout the day. If a dog was coming up lame 30 minutes into a walk, I'd want a vet to take a look...could be a back/disc issue or, well, lots of things really. And 6 is pretty young for a beagle to be having arthritis issues, I'd think. Smaller dogs tend to age better than larger breeds and it would be unusual to see it in a breed a large as a greyhound at the age of 6.

I would not give Aleve unless under the order and supervision of a vet. It can reach toxic levels in dogs pretty easily and can cause gastric ulcers or kidney damage. There are much better/safer NSAIDs your vet can prescribe to treat arthritis.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts