Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I just found out today why my dogs have been having so many accidents in the house due to what was a great food that has changed without notice!! I am very displeased with Canidae and have wasted money on the last 3 bags that could have killed my 2 Aussies.. I would not suggest this food to anyone ever as you dont know what is causing this horrible health problem, I called the company and was told they took out some Brown rice and added Barley, green tea and some others but I am so done with Canidae and will now try to make some homemade food and start RAW!! Please spread the word because I never would have known if not for a breeder in VA that I have spoken with!
I'm sure they changed the packaging to reflect the change of ingredients. How much notice do you usually get when a product is changed? Barley, green tea and "some others" were added in place of brown rice, and your dogs "could have died" as a result? Would that be because you didn't read the label before feeding it to them and they are deathly allergic to one or more of the new ingredients? If your dogs were having problems for as long as it took you to feed THREE bags of the new formula, did you take them to the vet in an attempt to find out what was wrong?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Barley is supposed to be a good grain for dogs. So is brown rice. You have to consider the digestibile protein. Anyway, maybe the issue is that your dogs didn't transition gradually to the new formula. Granted, maybe the company should have warned you so you could make the transition but after seeing changes in my dog, I would have looked at the food I was feeding first and see if the ingredients or proportion of ingredients had changed.

Regardless, I hope your dogs are okay.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There was no packaging change except the size of there bags!! Any I certainly did not expect someone to respond in such a way that I dont know how to feed my dogs have you not heard that some dogs are ok with the formula change and others have been having severe diarrhea with blood, yucky mucous looking bowl and vomitting!! The accidents were only occurring in an untimely manner so when ever I was mixing in some meats and veggies they were not having as big a problem!! It evidently may be with Aussies as my friends co owner had the exact same problem as well as all those that have a class action suit!! Be for real!! Do YOU FEED CANIDAE?? Did you notice a packaging change??

·
Registered
546 Posts
There was no packaging change except the size of there bags!! Any I certainly did not expect someone to respond in such a way that I dont know how to feed my dogs have you not heard that some dogs are ok with the formula change and others have been having severe diarrhea with blood, yucky mucous looking bowl and vomitting!! The accidents were only occurring in an untimely manner so when ever I was mixing in some meats and veggies they were not having as big a problem!! It evidently may be with Aussies as my friends co owner had the exact same problem as well as all those that have a class action suit!! Be for real!! Do YOU FEED CANIDAE?? Did you notice a packaging change??
They put stickers on the old bags with the new ingredient panel and in other places on the bag. That's how all pet food companies work and as a consumer, you should really know to watch for that. If the ingredient panel is a sticker on the bag, check to see what's been changed. Also, I work in a pet food store and when the formula changed, we had signs everywhere, as did the other 3 stores in the area that I know sell Canidae. I guess maybe not all stores would be so concerned about that, though?

·
Banned
53 Posts
I find this very hard to believe and I don't even feed or know what the Canidae. You're saying that after they changed the formula there was NO change or warning on the bag? I'm pretty sure companies that sell food are required by law to warn consumers their product has been changed. I'm willing to bet 100% that somewhere on that bag of dog food there was a notice of this formula change, just because you didn't see it does not mean it wasn't there. They could actually be sued for that, so one would think they covered their ass on that front.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Yes, I do feed Canidae as part of a rotation, so my dogs are used to dietary changes and problems like this are one reason why. I've heard from other people that their dogs (Rottweilers, etc.) are not doing as well on the new formula, so I don't believe it's just Aussies. I don't know of an animal that wouldn't get sick if they are used to eating a certain diet and suddenly switch to something else. The ingredients list changed, and so did the packaging. I guess I'm a weird one, but I always check the ingredients list of what I'm feeding to my dogs before I buy it, even if it's something like Canidae, Wellness, Solid Gold, etc. You just never know when they're going to make a change...

·
Registered
500 Posts
My dog didn't have any reaction whatsover to the change back when they did it. But then again, she has a stomach of steel. I can change her food without notice, and she'll be fine, no runny stools, no gas, no reactions at all. She's just happy to see new stuff.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Well, Timberwolf Organics experienced a backlash when they had to change their ingredients list as it was not as 'accurate' as it should have been so many people who fed it no longer feed it. They put a message on their website explaining why they did it but by that time, it was too late. It's too bad because TO offers pretty good kibble.

Anyway, my point is, that there is not much regulation on pet food so I'm not sure how stringent they are on changing the formulas. However, if the packaged changed, then I would have definitely looked at the ingredients. Sometimes you have to wonder why they change the package; to detract you from noticing the other changes? I don't know. I don't feed Canidae or any kibble but I don't blindly feed my dog her food.

I guess what people are saying to you AmyCT, is that if your dogs aren't reacting as well to their food, it is up to you to figure it out after feeding 3 bags. I couldn't understand your second post as it was a run-on sentence but maybe what you should do now (other than getting your dogs better of course) is to contact Canidae and see what they say. It sounds like you feed them Canidae and then sometimes feed them fresh food. Maybe it's the sometimes feeding of fresh food is what's causing the stomach upset. Maybe feed them fresh food on top of Canidae all the time and see what happens. Or alternatively, stop feeding the fresh food and just feed Canidae for a couple of weeks and see how that goes. I couldn't decipher if that's what you did from your post but my suggestion is either get your dogs to a vet or do an elimination diet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts