Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a mastiff lover and recently I am in the process to purchase another I have done my research but want to know first hand if cane corso are aggressive or not, I spend some time away from my home and I want a protective dog but not an overly aggressive dog, Any imput from cane corso owners?

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I think the correct answer would be both.

Some Cane Corso are aggressive

Some Cane Corso are not

It depends on how they are bred, socialized and trained.

Also what your definition of "aggressive" would be. Some have different perception of a dog with aggression then others.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I would agree. It will depend on the natural temperment of the dog and how you train and raise him. If you are going to be away from home a lot the dog is not properly exposed to people he will probably have some aggressive issues. My dog is such a people dog. He cries if I don't go straight to him when i come home from work. Other people with CC's and other CC's that I've met are very aloof and tend to be not very dog friendly.
It definitely takes a dedicated person and confident person to train and live with a CC. They always keep you on your toes. You can't be a push over cuz they will push you over-haha.

·
Banned
335 Posts
I don't believe in breed specific legislation but I do believe that there are some dogs that need to remain out of the hands of the general public and simply continue doing the work for which they have been bred. My personal contact with cane corso dogs is limited to grand total of four animals: one 19-month-old dog, a male puppy and a female puppy (both around 4 months) and an adult female. None of them were related. The older male was being trained in agility class, along with one of my TFTs and a border collie among others. The cc was in the ring, off leash, when he stopped and made a hard stare across the ring to something outside of it. It wasn't until he leapt over the ring gate and powered into the bc that there was any hint of trouble. The class teacher grabbed the cane corso by the hind legs and spun him--the dog was so surprised that he let go of the bc.

I don't think that all cane corsos are vicious, I don't think that they should be banned, but I do feel that they are still close to their working roots to make good pets for the average pet owner. None of us in that class were new dog owners, but he was nearly able to get a good hold on the bc and do some serious damage.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
I don't think that all cane corsos are vicious, I don't think that they should be banned, but I do feel that they are still close to their working roots to make good pets for the average pet owner.
I'm of the opinion that--in general--the best dogs from working breeds are the ones that are truest to their working roots. The demands of THE WORK dictate that dogs with serious temperament flaws will fail. OTOH, working dogs make inflexible demands on their owners. Border Collies, Patterdale Terriers, and Corsos (to pick 3 at random) all have different socialization and training requirements. Failure to provide for their specific needs can result in a dog that is neurotic, and/or destructive, and/or aggressive, and/or fearful, and/or whatever else you can think of. The difference between a Border Collie and a Corso is that an unbalanced BC can make your life a living hell; an unbalanced Corso can end a life. Certain breeds are best left to those who understand them.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I am a mastiff lover and recently I am in the process to purchase another I have done my research but want to know first hand if cane corso are aggressive or not, I spend some time away from my home and I want a protective dog but not an overly aggressive dog, Any imput from cane corso owners?
I don’t own a Corso but own a similar breed (Tosa-inu). Here is my thought:

Since you said you are “in the process to purchase” so I assume you are not rescuing and actually buying a dog from someone. I don’t mean to be rude or disrespectful but I thought it was a bit strange asking basic question like this while you are already “in the process to purchase” a dog.

I don’t know if you are getting an adult dog or a puppy but either way, I hope you are getting a dog from a reputable breeder and you have seen their dogs (Especially both sire and dam if you are getting a pup) because you can tell a lot about what you are getting by seeing those dogs and talking to the breeder.

I don’t know if you are single person and living alone or you have your own family (wife and kids) but if you are often away from your house (it also depends on the duration of the time you are away) and have to leave your dog alone, who will be taking care of your dog? As you know, Corsos are fairly big, powerful breed so they require someone who is mentally and physically strong to be able to handle the dogs properly. I have seen so many ladies being dragged by their dogs.
Also, I assume they have good natural guard instinct since they were originally bred to be guard dogs. They can be very dominant also. So, you need to be in control all the time.

I also agree with Spicy and LMH. Besides the temperament the dog has got from his parents, it also depends on how he is raised and properly trained. You can turn any dogs to be real mean and aggressive towards anyone.

-n

·
Registered
461 Posts
I know a total of 3 CC's, all owned by 1 couple. They are both small people with dogs easily larger than they are. These are also some of the best socialized, best behaved dogs (regardless of breed) I have ever met.

When they bring a new pup, they take weeks off work to start integrating the dog into the home.
Every day, they both train the dogs, from the time they are mere pups - including strict rules (that they can explain with consistency in detail) to their behavior both with people and other dogs. They give new meaning to consistently applying their rules.

Their dogs are amazing dogs, totally ambassadors for the breed, and they are owners that we should all try and emulate. But, remember, this is a large breed that requires a significant commitment to own safely. Don't do it unless you're willing to commit to the kind of time and effort that makes it safe for you to own (what are they, 150 pounds?) all that dog.

Oh - and they buy their dogs from breeders based solely on temperament/ health & such, without any concern to the price - and they pay a LOT for their dogs. The commitment is 100% to the dog.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I know a total of 3 CC's, all owned by 1 couple. They are both small people with dogs easily larger than they are. These are also some of the best socialized, best behaved dogs (regardless of breed) I have ever met.

When they bring a new pup, they take weeks off work to start integrating the dog into the home.
Every day, they both train the dogs, from the time they are mere pups - including strict rules (that they can explain with consistency in detail) to their behavior both with people and other dogs. They give new meaning to consistently applying their rules.

Their dogs are amazing dogs, totally ambassadors for the breed, and they are owners that we should all try and emulate. But, remember, this is a large breed that requires a significant commitment to own safely. Don't do it unless you're willing to commit to the kind of time and effort that makes it safe for you to own (what are they, 150 pounds?) all that dog.

Oh - and they buy their dogs from breeders based solely on temperament/ health & such, without any concern to the price - and they pay a LOT for their dogs. The commitment is 100% to the dog.
That is good to hear. This is a good example of what the OP has to look forward to if in having a well behaved Cane Corso.

Um 150lbs I guess if they don't adhere to the standard. Which is a max of 110lbs for males and 99lbs for females. Mine isn't a 150lbs and I would not own one who is or it would be highly doubtful.

Yes they are expensive from a breeder to a degree. They OP could look into rescue also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts