Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cane Corso Experts - Need Advice

5K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  RonE 
#1 ·
Hi,

I recently got a male Cane Corso puppy. He is 14 weeks old and only 9.4kg (21 pounds).

He seems fine, play fights well with my 66 pound Bully, but is very small for the breed and doesn't eat a lot.

Do any Cane Corso owners have any thoughts about this?

The people I got him from are not breeders. They have 2 young Cane Corsos who bred accidentally.

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
The parents age could account for some of the size, but your looking at one of the smaller mastiff breeds, lines not breed for size your looking at a adult size of 90 to 120lbs as a adult.

You also have to look at they take longer to mature, so while your pup might be on the small side now, he could end up being above the breed standard.

Biggest thing is quality food, and watching body condition, it is way more important than size at your pups stage of growth.

Also make sure to limit play and watch for rough play with your other dog, the corso's bones are very soft that this stage in life.

Best wishes with the new pup. But work more on training and keeping the pup fit than worrying about size. I know some corso's that are in the mid 70's as adults and some that are way above the 120 mark. Mastiff breed have a huge range when it comes to adult weight.

#4 ·
have you vet checked you can bring in a stool and urine sample without bringing in the pup and save yourself the office visit charge... need to get your samples in after you get them. , thought about digestive upsets from the food your feeding. I have CC and she is a hardy eater, all growing pups should be. Pups could of swallowed something that is messing with their digestive system typical pup behavior along with teething.. best bet is to rule out the medical and work from there to the environment...

#5 ·
Did you actually see the parents? A perusal through places like Craigslist will show several puppies from different sellers on any given day of puppies sold as Cane Corsos but are obviously not. However, if you did see the parents I agree with MastiffGuy that a smaller pup over the course of time can catch up over the course of a long maturation time.

#6 ·
He may have been the runt of the litter, or he may not be a purebred Corso. Here also may continue top catch up. However, I would make sure he's eating enough by feeding him separately for a bit and more frequentlyin smaller amounts (if he was the runt, he may continue to allow a more dominant dog finish his meal before he's done), as well as check with your vet for any potential health issues. But as long as he's healthy and happy, well socialized and not playing too rough (Corsos have one of the strongest bite strengths in the animal kingdom, so he needs to know how to control that early!), he's probably just going to be on the smaller size. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.