Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
One of my dogs growing up had Lymphoma at the age of 5. We did Chemo drugs.. it was fine for about 6 months before coming back full force. Lost her shortly after.

I just wanted to to give my condolences.

So very for those of you who are dealing with dogs with cancer. Very sorry for those who have recently lost as well. :(

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Just wanted to let you all know my quirky, beautiful, bright-eyed, stripey dog is gone. Good bye, Riley - you were taken way too soon.

I'm so sorry.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Boomer has been declining the past month and has now quit eating too. The tumor has grown massive and is making his breathing terrible. His 14th birthday is this Sunday so we are trying to pull him through until then. He is exhausted and feeling pretty bad but still insists on making his way to the pond every evening to lay in the water and then take a nap on the bank. Will be making the appointment for the vet to come out to my house next week for euth.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Fingers crossed for Boomer that he'll see his 14th birthday.

I lost Faolan to lymphoma in November and still miss him terribly.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Boomer has been declining the past month and has now quit eating too. The tumor has grown massive and is making his breathing terrible. His 14th birthday is this Sunday so we are trying to pull him through until then. He is exhausted and feeling pretty bad but still insists on making his way to the pond every evening to lay in the water and then take a nap on the bank. Will be making the appointment for the vet to come out to my house next week for euth.

That is the face of a dog who has lived an amazing life. You can see how much he loves you. I'm so happy for him that he has an owner like you, who gave him so much joy throughout his life and is now willing to do the hardest thing imaginable to end his suffering. My heart goes out for you, and for everyone here who has recently lost a dog or is dealing with a sick dog.

The last 3 dogs we've lost have been to cancer, one of them was only 5 years old. It's a terrible thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
you can see it in Boomers eyes how much he loves you and the great life you have given him. brings back so many sad memories and so many good. what a beautiful senior he is. the best of luck to you and Boomer

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I thought I'd update. Pip lived an incredibly long time (and really good quality time) after having his spleen out - just over six months. But inevitably, it caught up with him and we said goodbye in July. He was a really good dog and I miss him a lot.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I am so sorry for those that have lost their dogs too....CaptJack, Snarkjunter66, Sassafras and Luaren17. Cancer sucks!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm new to this forum and wanted to get other people's experiences and support with treating cancer with radiation. My 10 year old German Shepard just got diagnosed with transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder :( The location makes it inoperable so in addition to piroxicam, we're exploring radiation options.

We were told we could either 1) go with a very aggressive 20 day radiation treatment of the bladder + chemo. that may or may not help. Apparently there was a 2004 colorado study that showed significant improvement with this kind of miracle treatment. Anyone have any personal experience going this route?
2) The other option is to go with a palliative treatment of 5 days of radiation, that will not eliminate the tumor but which is likely to extend her life a bit longer.

I'm curious about other people's experiences with this kind of bladder cancer. 20 days of radiation is intense, expensive, emotionally draining and I'm not sure I want to put our dog through this, not knowing the likelihood of a positive outcome. Would love to hear your stories, experience and advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry to everyone who lost their dogs to cancer. I had a childhood dog who died because of it too. Was too young to understand anything until years later.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm extremely sorry to hear about jack.

I recently lost a dog for cancer. It was so terrible for me. And I think You should be taken care and eaten medicine for a dog quickly.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts