Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Am so sorry to hear about you baby:( We went through this 7 months back. Our 9 year old Zulu was diagnosed with a brain tumour. We got it operated. It was on the base of his skull. A crappy place to operate. He came back home. Spent 3 weeks with us. But he was suffering. And we lost him one fine morning. Not a day has passed since that we haven't spoken about him. After a month or so after his passing, we couldn't take it anymore. Adopted our baby Thea. She is 7 months old now and is having her first heat.
Before we operated Zulu, we did a lot of research about cancer. Found some amazing natural medicine. Golden paste, a few mushroom extracts and if you're living in the US, Cannabis oil. We live in Singapore and it was a bit too late for Zulu. We are giving Thea golden paste everyday now. It is a mixture of organic turmeric, pepper powder and coconut oil. Please do your own research. But from mine, i realised these actually work. We've decided to get Thea checked every year fro the time she turns 5.
It's so unfair that these wonderful beings have such short lives:(

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Jack continues to feel really, really good and I am *really* super glad he's around to enjoy spring. it's his season and he's making the most of it.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I haven't been around much lately but some of you may remember my dogs. This seems as good a place as any to update about Pip. We identified a mass on his spleen at the end of December, he had it removed (that was an awesome NYE - not) and although pre-surgery screening was all optimistic for a benign tumor unfortunately the pathology came back as malignant hemangiosarcoma.

Since his surgery he's been feeling fine and acting like his normal self but we're in a place where his time is limited. I'm also so, so grateful that he is getting to enjoy spring around here, getting down to the river to play in the water (although he doesn't swim much anymore).

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Maya is not doing so well, she is slowing down considerably. Still eating well and happy though. The nodes in her chest are large and have grown up into her shoulders sort of so are impeding on her range of motion in her front legs. Also the ones in her groin are making pooping harder for her. I just hate this.....

Taken yesterday...
IMG_7847ac by rzyg, on Flickr

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Jack's still hanging in there. He's gotten a little picky about his food (this is not a surprise, he's always been picky about food and now he's getting all the junk he wants) but he's overall acting and feeling pretty good. Lots of meandering, sniffing, walks, treats and him stealing MY food happening. He seems to be acting and feeling perfectly normal, to be honest, but I am so paranoid I don't trust my own perception. We've got a vet appointment tomorrow, regardless, so hopefully that'll give me some perspective and I can breathe again for a little.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Jack's still hanging in there. He's gotten a little picky about his food (this is not a surprise, he's always been picky about food and now he's getting all the junk he wants) but he's overall acting and feeling pretty good. Lots of meandering, sniffing, walks, treats and him stealing MY food happening. He seems to be acting and feeling perfectly normal, to be honest, but I am so paranoid I don't trust my own perception. We've got a vet appointment tomorrow, regardless, so hopefully that'll give me some perspective and I can breathe again for a little.
Lymphoma is one of the cancers in which dogs can act totally normal up until the day they leave us or need to be helped to leave us, or so I am told. Hope your appt goes well tomorrow.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
To be honest that's a lot of my anxiety. I just. keep. waiting. It's stupid and it's selfish but I really, really hate it.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Yea, I've gotten to the point where I can forget for days at a time or even daydream about the pathologist being wrong, but realistically we're now 3 months out from surgery and the clock is really starting to tick. He's still feeling well, though, just doesn't quite have the same stamina he did before surgery.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Jack is having surgery.

Because the abscess, abscess on the other side, encapsulated abscess on side one removed, cycle has to be completed with encapsulated abscess on the other side. It's been there a while but hadn't gown until the past few days. I know, I *know* how stupid that sounds but it's an easy, superficial surgery. His bloodwork and physical condition are fantastic and just... letting that go really isn't an option for me. Vet agreed whole heartedly, at least.

So. Argh. He'll be home tomorrow.

This whole thing has been such a mess.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
A month or so late to this thread being started...oops!

Still sending thoughts and prayers to Maya, Jack and Pip! It really stinks that a thread like this has to exist at all. Dogs shouldn't suffer from anything as horrible as cancer. Ever.

Bella has been so happy and normal lately that it still takes me by surprise and wrenches my heart when I remember that she has cancer. Every strange noise or weird movement that comes from her sends me into a mini-panic attack. It's crazy. I've always worried about her, but could stop and tell myself I was being silly and paranoid (like the time I was convinced she had a brain tumor when she was actually freaked out by mice in the walls...lol) Unfortunately now I don't have that excuse. She is sick. I have to suck it up and be strong for her even though I'm dying inside, too.

I did take a plaster paw-print thing when she was about a year old. I've had it on my book case with her puppy collar since then. I might do another one or a print with food coloring (I've been thinking for years about getting a tattoo of her paw pring.) And it sounds freaky, but I've always saved her shed whiskers, too...lol Just couldn't bring myself to throw them out when I found them.

It's helpful (although awful at the same time) to have people to talk to who are going through the same thing. Well wishes and (((hugs))) to you all.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I just got the lab results back on my Boomers tumor this week confirming he does have cancer. We don't know for sure which type or how long he has until we do radiographs (I'm not even sure I want to know). It sounds like we don't really have many treatment options no matter which of the three types she said it could be. He can have surgery to remove ribs and possibly his leg which would maybe give him 6 months. I want as much time as possible with him but he's almost 14 and also has CHF and kidney failure and I hate to put him through a surgery like that just for an extra couple months with him. I guess I have some tough decisions to make.

I've noticed this week he seems to not be feeling as good and is sleeping a lot. His breathing has been very labored and the vet couldn't hear any congestion so thinking that the tumor is causing that. But he's still demanding I throw his ball and he sure gives it his all to go get that thing! It kills me that he is still mentally so active and wanting to do everything but his body just can't do it anymore. I feel so awful about this, I knew at his age something was going to get him eventually but I still hate it.

Telling me to throw the ball last night

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
CptJack...did Jack have his surgery? How did it go, how is he feeling? Hope all is well.

Bellapup, glad to hear Bella is doing well, hope it continues for a long time for you.

Lauren17, sorry to hear about Boomer, hope he gives you a long time yet.

As far as my little Maya, the news is not good. On Sunday I noticed her blue eye had turned a cloudy gray color and is bloodshot, apparently this is due to her liver being affected now by the Lymphoma. She hasn't been eating well and is having loose stools which we cannot get back to normal. We have made an appt for Friday, the vet will come over and end our nightmare. I am just heartbroken.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
CptJack...did Jack have his surgery? How did it go, how is he feeling? Hope all is well.

Bellapup, glad to hear Bella is doing well, hope it continues for a long time for you.

As far as my little Maya, the news is not good. On Sunday I noticed her blue eye had turned a cloudy gray color and is bloodshot, apparently this is due to her liver being affected now by the Lymphoma. She hasn't been eating well and is having loose stools which we cannot get back to normal. We have made an appt for Friday, the vet will come over and end our nightmare. I am just heartbroken.
I am so sorry, for you and for Maya. I hope this week is as kind to you all as it can be.

Jack did have his surgery. 18 staples, a rough couple of days (first time he's ever been sent home without pain relief and I don't know why and I don't approve and made it known), but after that no real troubles. He'll have them out Thursday and an get back to normal routine, which he'll be glad of.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts

Sending prayers out to you and Maya. I'll be thinking of you and crying with you.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
I am so sorry, for you and for Maya. I hope this week is as kind to you all as it can be.

Jack did have his surgery. 18 staples, a rough couple of days (first time he's ever been sent home without pain relief and I don't know why and I don't approve and made it known), but after that no real troubles. He'll have them out Thursday and an get back to normal routine, which he'll be glad of.
Hope he's feeling better! Hugs and treats for Jack!

I also hope this prescription opioid drug crisis going on isn't going to impact our poor pets! They don't deserve to be in pain because vets are scared to give out drugs now, too!

21 - 40 of 73 Posts