Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

My wonderful 4.5 year old Black Lab, Seamus, was just diagnosed with a malignant mouth tumor. (Squamous Cell Carcinoma). I have met with Oncologists and surgeons who are recommending a partial mandiblectomy (removing half of his lower jaw).

Seamus is like my son and I love him so much, I would do anything in the world to help him, but I am worried that my desire to "help him" might actually do more damage to the quality of his life after surgery. Every question I have asked has gotten vague answers, and the surgeon and the oncologist contradicted each other with every single question I asked. I have no idea what to do!

Is there anyone who has any experience with Squamous Cell Carcinoma or manidlectomy surgeries?

Thanks so much!
Madeleine (Seamus' Mom)

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Dear Madeleine,

I am so sorry to hear about Seamus. I have no experience with Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Possibly a third opinion from another oncologist would be helpful or a vet medical school which is up to date on the latest treatments. That has to be very difficult with the doctors not agreeing, my vet and the oncologist worked together very closely on the treatments for my dog. When she was undergoing chemo/radiation treatments I found a K9 cancer site which was very helpful. Here is the link http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/CanineCancer/

I will keep Seamus and you in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us updated.

p.s. I do know one person that has a Doxie missing his lower jaw (I don't know if it was cancer or not) and the dog is living a full life.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I can sympathize with you. Today, I got a diagnosis of a malignant tumor on my 9 year old Husky, Booga, with more forming. I have a second opinion on Monday. The first vet wants to do surgery. Since I'm dealing with cancer, I want a second opinion. I haven't stopped crying yet.
I have decided to do what I can for him until the point where he starts suffering. I won't keep him alive for my benefit. I love him so much, I never want him to suffer.
Maybe we can lean on each other through our babies difficult times. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Seamus.
Christine

1 - 3 of 3 Posts