Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hehe.

Seriously. Can you train your dog to poop quickly when you go outside...

I'm loosing my cool with Donatello and that's not a good thing. :(

I take him out at 6:00pm to pee. In the mornings he usually poops, and the last couple months he's been on that schedule and would do so quickly.

Well he's in a phase again where now I don't know when he's going to poop, and it can take forty-five minutes of standing outside to get him to poop.

I'm not joking.

He will squat, get ready to poop, then pinch his butt together and walk off to start sniffing another spot; Squat to poop, then pinch his butt together and walk off to start sniffing another spot... That continues for forty-five minutes...

I have tried the following:
1) Walking him to different spots;
2) I know this sounds bad, but I encourage him to chase the cats around (who make a game out of it) which seems to help him poop faster;
3) I've tried changing the times, like last night I went out at 7:40PM hoping he'd be more than ready to poo. Nope. I came in at 8:27PM after he finally found a spot.
4) I've tried changing his feeding schedule around with his potty-breaks.
5) I've tried naming the action, "Poop Donatello,"- That doesn't work...

So then when I get frustrated he clams up and refuses to poo, even if it's been two days!

My mother told me "the only way to fix that is..." to get him on another schedule, time-it. When you're outside 10 minutes, if he hasn't pooped come inside... He'll start to realize he better poop when you're out there.

Well... I don't see how that will help. It's not like he can tell time.

There are a lot of dogs I know that are picky about where they drop their load... WHY???? It's crap, and I pick it up anyway, why does it matter where it goes?

So. Can someone help Donatello and me? Please?

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
You can teach a dog to poop if he has poop that is. It's the same as teaching dogs to pee on command.

What you do is watch him when he poops and while he's pooping say something like poopoo or another keyword. When he's done, praise and give a treat.

After a few times (may take a little more than a FEW) he will get the idea that poopoo means to do his business and he gets a treat for it.

My breeder has all her show dogs trained to peepee and poopoo because before a show she really needs them to go. They sure can't during the show..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes you can - just as the answerer said before hand. Don't encourage him to chase cats though you will regret this a lot in the future. Take him for a quick jog or play fetch with him first. This will loosen him up and build your bond.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All of these time Donatello has had to go poo, trust me... It just about comes out when he pinches it back to go find a "better spot". lol!

I've mentioned before that I can not jog/walk in my complex... Others have agreed with me. It's too dangerous for myself and Donatello. If I go out of my small cul-de-sac I'm ambushed by off-leash dogs. Literately every time; Not to mention the frequent gang-shootings and domestic disturbances from sun-up to sun-down. : ( I do my best to keep Donatello occupied.

Chasing the cats is more or less a game for him and game for them; He finds them intriguing and has tried playing with the kittens before, but the Mama-Cat would have none of that... There is no threat of me regretting this later for I have no plans for a cat in my future my family is severely allergic... But anyway, that's neither here nor there...

I have tried doing the "name, praise and treat" like I said, but it doesn't work... I've been doing that since I've rescued him in December, he's not highly motivated with anything, (food, toys, or praise) so it's extremely hard to train him to do something like this...

Thank you for the suggestions and I will just keep trying to "name, praise and treat". : ) You'd think it would have stuck by now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
sorry i was unaware of that.

Have you seen those foxes on a line type toys? He must have a good prey drive as he is chasing the cats but you could do label - poop - then use the toy to simulate a cat type chase as a reward?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's alright Louise_674, it appears you're new and I'm sure I mentioned this many months ago... I was just adding that for a reminder to others, not just to you.

I could try that... I wouldn't say he's got a "strong" prey-drive, he is part Jack Russel, but I have more or less reconditioned him to follow my commands. He'll chase a cat, bark and carry on, then play bow and wag his tail... The few times a cat has chased him he's come running back to me screaming like a two-year old. lmao.

He's not really toy/food/praise motivated... I mean, he is... Sometimes. lol. I'm not even sure if the NILF program would work with this...

I will look into that toy though, because even if it doesn't work to train him he'd probably still like to play with it. ; )

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
if you really, really need him to poop fast and he's just taking his sweet time, you can always "match him". We do it if we have a lot of dogs to exercise at shows and don't have a ton of time to wait on each dog. Hard if you have 25 dogs. lol

But I like to put a command to pottying, so it makes it easy when I'm on the road.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Hee hee. I got sick of five plus piles being spread out over several miles on our hikes. Last week the match came out. :D Charm! One of the many things I've learned here.

Look at the back of your dog, lift tail, and the match... Ya' know... Just barely...

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Oh it works well. The dog thinks there is something there and CAN'T pinch it back.

A Q tip can work well too.. insert like a thermometer.. LOL

When the dog is pooping.. actually bearing down and things are "exiting," I say a word (mine is Crapcrap) and stuff food in the dog's mouth. It takes time, but they get it.

Too bad you don't have a treadmill. Train Donatello to trot on that. It helps to move things along if the dog exercises!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Oh it works well. The dog thinks there is something there and CAN'T pinch it back.

A Q tip can work well too.. insert like a thermometer.. LOL

When the dog is pooping.. actually bearing down and things are "exiting," I say a word (mine is Crapcrap) and stuff food in the dog's mouth. It takes time, but they get it.

Too bad you don't have a treadmill. Train Donatello to trot on that. It helps to move things along if the dog exercises!
so you feed them WHILE they're pooping?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow... Umm... I asked for advice and I got it. lmao. I just wasn't expecting anything to be so graphic. lmao. ;)

Thanks guys. A BUNCH! I'm going to keep at the whole, "name-praise-treat" thing... It'd be awkward for others in my complex to keep watching me cram stuff up my dog's bum. lmao.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hey Dege, have you tried just taking him out, even carrying him to the same spot, just stand there iwth him on a six foot leash and just wait for ten minutes. When he goes, praise him, if he doesn't go in the alloted time, take him inside and confine him or something for a bit, like an hour and try again. I had to do this with Kali, she is just like Donatello, likes to stop mid poo to find a new spot, so I wouldn't let her, I'd stand in one place, and refuse to budge, if she didn't go in the time I gave her, which I actually shortened down to 5 minutes, then less as I wanted her to poop faster basicly. You can name it that way too, and if you use a clicker it makes it even easier rofl

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, that's basically the advice my mother gave me... But call me a big softy, or persnickty, but I'd love nothing more than for Donatello to poop each morning and each night that way I know he's comfortable in-between, lmao.

I will try that though, the clicker won't work (not his thing), but I will keep at this... I'll resort to the "match him" as the last resort. ; )

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Wally's learned not to pull that "find a better spot" crap on me.

He tried it a few times - he was practically begging me to let him pee after an hour long walk without a single potty break ;)

Perfect set up to praise a 10 second "jump on a spot and pee my bladder out" :D

Before we start walking or playing, he has to pee (or poop on rare occasion he'll poop first). He doesn't - we go back inside. Pee/poop = start of our walk/games.

Basically, I give him 30 seconds to pee/poop/or start the "poop run" (he runs up and down an area sometimes before he poops). I don't care which he does.

Now it's down to a pattern. He looks up at me while walking (his signal to me that we've developed, or sometimes he'll suddenly stop in place when he has to go and he smells a spot he likes if he's off leash, and no he doesn't just pee on whatever - he's learned "ask" if the spot is okay by looking at me first), and I say "go potty" and silently count to 30.

If he hasn't gone by the time I get to 30 OR I see him pull that "okay I'll pee here, oh no wait, maybe there's a better spot over here" thing OR he's just sauntering around and not sniffing/finding a spot - it's over and we move on. I don't care if he still has to go. I don't care if the spot he wanted was 2 feet away. He goes where ever we are when he gives me the signal.

He doesn't get another "go potty" command for at least 5 minutes and it's a walking/moving/active 5+ minutes so things want to get moving even more.

By then, if he really has to go, he's basically staring at me while we're walking. I'll say "go potty" and count to 30 again. Usually this time, he's doing his business before I even get to 5.

When he goes, he gets praised. I figure the feeling of relief and the chance to pee on something is extra reward enough. Judging by his reaction to that ever-golden "go potty" command I seem to be right. In fact, he's seem to generalize this to any peeing. Some spot he wants to mark. He'll sniff it, stand over it, look at me. If I say "go potty", he'll sniff again and pee on it. If I give him any other cue, he'll do it (usually I say "let's go" to keep him moving)

Of course, being the "that's good but can't we do better?" type, I'm trying to speed it up even more. Right now, our best is 3 pees and a poop in 6 minutes (total walk time, not just the "bathroom time").

He's also smart enough to figure out that if he gives me the signal right near where he wants to pee, he can pee where he wants and do it as fast as I want. I've learned a lot of usual spots he likes to use so that speeds things up as well, but of course, can't rely on that always.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
the toy mentioned above is called a flirtpole.

and as far as pooping goes..

Im a schemer. I had a dog like donatello. I stopped feeding her multiple times a day and just fed her one really big meal a day so when she had to go it would be a doozy. then we'd play the potty game...she'd start to squat/sniff...id put a treat in front of her nose and start moving. she would have to follow..and then she'd start to squat again and id lure and start moving.

the idea being she had to figure out that she'd better poo before I started moving. if she managed it..she'd get the treat.

After a week she would go instantly as soon as her feet hit grass.

id move all crazy too..like going in random circles, moving backwards etc..

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
the toy mentioned above is called a flirtpole.

and as far as pooping goes..

Im a schemer. I had a dog like donatello. I stopped feeding her multiple times a day and just fed her one really big meal a day so when she had to go it would be a doozy. then we'd play the potty game...she'd start to squat/sniff...id put a treat in front of her nose and start moving. she would have to follow..and then she'd start to squat again and id lure and start moving.

the idea being she had to figure out that she'd better poo before I started moving. if she managed it..she'd get the treat.

After a week she would go instantly as soon as her feet hit grass.

id move all crazy too..like going in random circles, moving backwards etc..
:eek: I like this idea as well! OMG... That's great... That's easy for Donatello and I to try. Donatello does only get one meal a day, and he is usually on a schedule where he poops once a day, usually the next morning after he eats... But that doesn't keep him from being picky.

Wally's learned not to pull that "find a better spot" crap on me.

He tried it a few times - he was practically begging me to let him pee after an hour long walk without a single potty break ; )

Perfect set up to praise a 10 second "jump on a spot and pee my bladder out" : D

Before we start walking or playing, he has to pee (or poop on rare occasion he'll poop first). He doesn't - we go back inside. Pee/poop = start of our walk/games.

Basically, I give him 30 seconds to pee/poop/or start the "poop run" (he runs up and down an area sometimes before he poops). I don't care which he does.

Now it's down to a pattern. He looks up at me while walking (his signal to me that we've developed, or sometimes he'll suddenly stop in place when he has to go and he smells a spot he likes if he's off leash, and no he doesn't just pee on whatever - he's learned "ask" if the spot is okay by looking at me first), and I say "go potty" and silently count to 30.

If he hasn't gone by the time I get to 30 OR I see him pull that "okay I'll pee here, oh no wait, maybe there's a better spot over here" thing OR he's just sauntering around and not sniffing/finding a spot - it's over and we move on. I don't care if he still has to go. I don't care if the spot he wanted was 2 feet away. He goes where ever we are when he gives me the signal.

He doesn't get another "go potty" command for at least 5 minutes and it's a walking/moving/active 5+ minutes so things want to get moving even more.

By then, if he really has to go, he's basically staring at me while we're walking. I'll say "go potty" and count to 30 again. Usually this time, he's doing his business before I even get to 5.

When he goes, he gets praised. I figure the feeling of relief and the chance to pee on something is extra reward enough. Judging by his reaction to that ever-golden "go potty" command I seem to be right. In fact, he's seem to generalize this to any peeing. Some spot he wants to mark. He'll sniff it, stand over it, look at me. If I say "go potty", he'll sniff again and pee on it. If I give him any other cue, he'll do it (usually I say "let's go" to keep him moving)

Of course, being the "that's good but can't we do better?" type, I'm trying to speed it up even more. Right now, our best is 3 pees and a poop in 6 minutes (total walk time, not just the "bathroom time").

He's also smart enough to figure out that if he gives me the signal right near where he wants to pee, he can pee where he wants and do it as fast as I want. I've learned a lot of usual spots he likes to use so that speeds things up as well, but of course, can't rely on that always.
All I have to say to that is, "WOW!" I would love for Donatello to do that! : P The whole, "ask-to-pee" thing is brilliant! I usually have to yank Donatello away from the damn flowers! :rolleyes:

Do not light the match!!!:D
**KA-BLAM** :eek:

Your dog is probably wanting a walk. Do you walk him regularly? Hes probably smart enough to turn the "poop" session into a night out session walk. You need to go out and give him 5 minutes max if its to take him out to poop. Bring him back inside if he doesn't go. Hell, make him hold it in overnight. Usually they will go inside and be sure to call him out on it so that he feels bad.

I dont know how long you can pull off inserting objects into your dogs behind as the final solution lol.
A previous post of mine, up above. ^
I've mentioned before that I can not jog/walk in my complex... Others have agreed with me. It's too dangerous for myself and Donatello. If I go out of my small cul-de-sac I'm ambushed by off-leash dogs. Literately every time; Not to mention the frequent gang-shootings and domestic disturbances from sun-up to sun-down. : ( I do my best to keep Donatello occupied.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
All I have to say to that is, "WOW!" I would love for Donatello to do that! : P The whole, "ask-to-pee" thing is brilliant! I usually have to yank Donatello away from the damn flowers! :rolleyes:
I see that a lot. Usually with an annoyed owner/handler either yanking, yelling, or with a look like "if it wasn't wrong to kick you in the butt really hard, I would right now."

I just smile to myself whenever I see it and thank nature for that she provided a way for dogs to learn these things :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts