Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbors behind me used to have some sort of long haired terrier. I haven't seen that dog in weeks now. To be honest, it's entirely possible that they've moved out and someone else has now moved in. It's the neighbors behind me so I never see the front of their house. In any case, a Vizla is the new occupant of their back yard. Normally I don't mind the dog. Zero loves to play with him through the shared fence. They will spend hours barking at each other and sprinting the fence line. I've got no issues with that. Brutus can't be bothered to play with Zero most of the time and I've got no problem with him playing with another dog, especially one that's on the other side of a fence so there's a minimal chance of either of them getting hurt. The problem arises when Zero gets tired of play and decides to take one of his many daily naps or if he happens to be inside. The dog barks and howls at pretty much anything. Then his owner will scream profanities at him and he'll stop or the owner will take the dog inside and the behavior stops. If I'm out in my backyard, the dog will bark at me with his tail between his legs and is clearly scared of me. I'm 5'5" so I'm a fairly intimidating figure I guess. I've tried feeding him hot dogs and he will come close enough to get the hot dog from my hand, but then immediately runs away and resumes what I will call fear barking.

It seems pretty obvious to me that the dog is bored stiff (you never see any toys outside) and scared of people (or at least me) for whatever reason. Is there anything at all I can possibly do to help this dog out? Walking the dog is probably not an option obviously, but is there anything I can do to get the dog to at least not be so fearful?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I wouldn't give a neighbor's dogs anything to eat. They could be allergic, the food you give him could be bad, etc.

I might try talking to the neighbor, possibly work on building the relationship to a point where I felt comfortable making friendly suggestions on how to curb their dog's barking. Otherwise, your best bet may be getting a bark stop device to put in your own yard that would quiet the neighbor's dog if he barked.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I trained my neighbors dog not to bark by just making a weird little sound every time it barked. Took a while but it worked.

They actually sell doohickeys you can put outside that'll do this for you. That's what gave me the idea.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts