Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a got a boxer pup recently. She must want to live with the family across the street, because she crosses the street regularly. She cannot walk on a leash, and we don't have time to leash train her. We tried to just let her loose with just her collar. The poor thing ran right along the shock zone, barking in pain the hole way :doh: I have endlessly searched the web, and everything says you need a leash. Is it even possible to train her off the leash, and if so how?

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
The only safe and fair way to teach this is on a leash. Unless you have an impeccable recall and off-lead control.

So, you need a leash.

5 minutes twice a day can teach a ton of leash skills. Do you have that much time to spend with her?

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
If you don't have the time to leash train her, how are you going to exercise her?

Those fencing suck, I'll be honest. They can cause a dog to be too afraid to go into the yard, or the dog can ignore them. The batteries die, other animals can get in your yard, etc.
MY advice would be to tear it up and put in a real fence, or at least invest in a long line so she can't hit the edge.

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:redface: We could still train her on a leash. We do not have the option of a real fence, it is against our subdivision ordinance. Once we trained our yellow lab, we don't even put the collar on because she stays in. We could leash train Blue, but that would still be difficult. Until then she could still be hit by just about every car in the neighborhood.

·
Registered
319 Posts
leash train her.
Don't let her out EVER without a leash on, especially because you know she runs straight for the road.
Chain her up if she needs to be outside unsupervised even for a short amount of time.

You would seriously risk her life, because you don't want to leash train her?

Common sense is a marvellous thing.

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She doesn't run strait for the road. If I'm not there she STAYS INSIDE. It's not like we live on a city block.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
The biggest problem is that it sounds like she is getting shocked when she doesn't understand why. As far as she knows, there is no reason for the shocks, they are just happening to her and she thinks that she is helpless to stop it. This can ruin a puppy's confidence. There are some pups and dogs who won't go outside happily again because they got shocked and didn't understand it so they try hard to just stay inside. It breaks something in them.

With puppies, the risks are higher. You describe her behavior as this: "The poor thing ran right along the shock zone, barking in pain the hole way " You are going to need a long leash on her to help her understand the boundries. Letting her just take the shocks is not going to train her. If she panics and bolts out of your yard, she will be shocked every time she tries to return. There is a good chance that she would then decide that your yard is a painful/bad place to be.

I sympathize with you on being busy, but I have no idea how you will successfully own a boxer who is not leash trained. They are high energy, intellegent dogs who need to go places and do things. She will likely need to be leashed to live a good life. A boxer kept exclusively at home and in a yard will likely be a neurotic mess. This is the time in her life where she needs to be exposed to the world so she learns how to be comfortable with different people, places, and things.

Boxers are a ton of dog. They are a time commitment. What are your goals for this pup?

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
:redface: We could still train her on a leash. We do not have the option of a real fence, it is against our subdivision ordinance. Once we trained our yellow lab, we don't even put the collar on because she stays in. We could leash train Blue, but that would still be difficult. Until then she could still be hit by just about every car in the neighborhood.
Um, you probably should. Because I have no idea how you plan on exercising this dog without leash training. If the dog's not leashed trained, she can't go for walks, or our in public, into vets, into stores, etc. She can't spend her life behind an electric fence.

She doesn't run strait for the road. If I'm not there she STAYS INSIDE. It's not like we live on a city block.
But you should ALWAYS be there.
Again, these fences suck.
You first run the risk of creating a fearful dog that associates your yard with pain. Shes' not going to want to go outside or return out of sheer fear.
You then run the risk of the dog ignoring the shock, or the battery dying, or something else. If any of these happen, your dogs can easily jut out over the fenceline and get killed, or get into some other trouble. In the case of the dog ignoring the shock, you'll have a dog who follows it's nose or drive or something out of the yard, then when it tries to get back in, it's not going to be half as determined. It then gets shocked, which makes it flat out not want to come home.
These fences also don't keep out other animals or people. Any animal can trot onto your property.

Stay outside with your dogs when they're outside. Better yet, stay outside with them AND put them on a long line.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
We could leash train Blue, but that would still be difficult. Until then she could still be hit by just about every car in the neighborhood.
Wait, what? Just attach a leash to her and hold on to the other end. Done. Stop letting your dog off leash near the street (or off leash at all, since she's not trained). If she pulls too much, there are a variety of harnesses that prevent pulling without any training necessary.

·
Registered
9,387 Posts
When you have an invisible fence, they usually include training flags that you put in temporarily, to indicate the borders. Even with neighborhood restrictions, I believe that you could put up sticks etc. just before you let the pup out, then remove them when you go back inside.

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to clear up anything:
When you have an invisible fence, they usually include training flags that you put in temporarily, to indicate the borders. Even with neighborhood restrictions, I believe that you could put up sticks etc. just before you let the pup out, then remove them when you go back inside.
There is nothing against the flags. I didn't want to make this a long discussion. If the dogs are not contained by something, the pound can take them strait out of the yard. Fences are not allowed, as well as dogs on a chain visible from the road, strictly enforced. I wanted to see if leash training was absolutely necessary, and I am completely willing to train her. Both of the dogs still get plenty of exercise.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
But if they're not leash trained... how are they getting exercise?

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
You would not believe how much dogs play together when you let them off their leash and stop stuffing them in a kennel. If you have anything else to say please contact me directly and privately. Unless, it might be related to my question, and not just to insult me,

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Lol.
You'd be amazed how much better off dogs are when they're getting regular exercise and are actually allowed to leave their yards.

And, as a side note, none of my dogs live in kennels.
In fact, none of my dogs have ever even seen the inside of a crate. They're allowed offleash play time daily and yet still require daily, leashed exercise.

If a chihuahua needs it, surely a boxer needs it.

·
Super Moderator
11,721 Posts
If you have anything else to say please contact me directly and privately.
That's not the way an Internet discussion forum works.

BTW, there's no such thing as a bad dog.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Work on invisible barrier training! Emily Larlham (kikopup on youtube) has great videos.

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's not the way an Internet discussion forum works.

BTW, there's no such thing as a bad dog.
I am sorry RonE and everyone else. I meant to say something along the lines of "If you have anything else to say that is not useful to help this thread, and it is just to insult me, please contact me privately and privately. That was a very helpful post Sibe.
:grouphug:

·
Super Moderator
7,349 Posts
I am sorry RonE and everyone else. I meant to say something along the lines of "If you have anything else to say that is not useful to help this thread, and it is just to insult me, please contact me privately and privately. That was a very helpful post Sibe.
:grouphug:
And again, that's not how an Internet discussion forum works. It also borders on backseat moderating, which is very much against forum rules.

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Isn't insults of any kind very much against the rules? I'm not trying to moderate, but why should your problems with me be displayed publicly?

·
Super Moderator
7,349 Posts
No one has insulted you here. If you have an issue with a post, report it, but it is not up to you to dictate what people are and are not allowed to post. That is backseat moderating, and will result in a temp ban. Just an FYI, arguing with a mod's decisions is also against forum rules.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts