Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
She is a 1.5 yr old dog which we saved from being put to sleep due to her suspected distemper, worms, hair loss, etc; and after months of 12 pills a day care, she has recovered to be a huge, healthy and energetic loving dog.

She is unlike any dog we have ever owned in our long lives and wonder what breeds she could possibly be. Don't know if some of who she is could be due to her serious illness, or previous owners mistreatment, during her puppy year?

Here are some characteristics not seen in the following photos:
- 24" tall and about 32" long not including tail
- Weights 60+ pounds
- dense and muscular with somewhat loose skin
- energetic and playfull
- barks agressively at people but friendly and even shy/afraid when comes face to face with people
- easily trained and loves to snuggle at night
- shows dominence to other dogs with loose placement of mouth over other dogs necks
- has a few black spots/patches on otherwise red tongue
- when excited or agitated by strangers or other dogs on other side of fence, gallops back and forth along fence line while barking and has line of back hair stand up along ENTIRE length of back from head to tail
- eats immense amounts of food each day
- feet are webbed so some type of retriever is probably in her
- mouth is slighlly less long and wider than other black labs we've owned and her bite strength is noticably stronger than other dogs we've owned

Here are some bad pics of her.

I'd guess she has some black lab in her, but what else do you see in her?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Her face looks very much like a German Shorthair/Wirehair pointer. And that could account for the spotty patches, too. But that curly tail. . .maybe a bit of Chow or Shar-Pei. Not a lot, obviously, but enough for the tongue spots and curly tail.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see Lab X :)
Thanks, and I know she is part, part, black lab. But I have owned part black labs and whole black labs in the past and she is different.

Most notably is the whole back rised ridge when she gets excited/angry. My other dogs only had raised hair at the neck lines to shoulders.

Otherwise, it is her two legged galloping run and not what I was used to seeing with dogs.

Finally, she has loose skin over those muscles and bones and am not used to that either?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
My Dobie/Rott/? mix has raised hair along her entire body including her entire tail when she is excited or warning me of something ... she looks like a puffer fish. Lol! :) I wonder if it could be Rottweiler that does this or just individual dogs? I have never known any of my other dogs to look this way and they were basically purebred Dobies and Collies. Maybe the Rottweiler people will chime in on my suspicions? ...... maybe even Boxer? I am seeing something I cannot place my finger on ......?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help.

When we first took her, I was a bit apprehensive since she looked like a puppy like a pit bull head... but since then, I am doubtful of that based on the rest of the characteristics of Sammy.

·
Registered
948 Posts
The coloration, all black with the mottled white in front, I've seen on a couple dogs in my neighborhood, they claim to be lab/blue heeler.
Looks to me like lab & chow or akita. With maybe some rottweiler & heeler thrown in.

it is her two legged galloping run and not what I was used to seeing with dogs.
you mean her back legs always move together?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The coloration, all black with the mottled white in front, I've seen on a couple dogs in my neighborhood, they claim to be lab/blue heeler.
Looks to me like lab & chow or akita. With maybe some rottweiler & heeler thrown in.
you mean her back legs always move together?
Uh, yeah pretty much. She gallops like a horse. Is that a part of her earlier disease?

As it is, she is special to us and she is a miracle dog to the shelter who allowed me to try and save her.....

If she wasn't so scaredy cat of aggressive people, she would make an incredible guard dog. As it is.... she is a wonderful warning dog for folks with kids.... but sorry, she is mine and is gonna stay that way until she leaves us.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
My APBT will get the raised hair on her back from neck to tail : )
So I don’ think there is any way to tell breed from that …its very common across the board

What characteristics does she possess that would lead you to believe she is not a pit mix..(just curious)
I can’t see the pictures here on my work computer

·
Registered
948 Posts
Uh, yeah pretty much. She gallops like a horse. Is that a part of her earlier disease?
I don't believe it's an effect of distemper.

Apart from when they're running at flat out top speed, if they always move their back legs together it's a symptom of hip dysplasia. Another sign is a tendency to sit with both feet on the same side most of the time.

BTW, lot of dogs have webbed feet, not just retrievers -- good for digging as well as swiming.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Maybe Lab x border collie ? Not sure about the curly tail, b/c Lab can have purple mottled tongues... and my dog is a Labx GSD and he has a curly tail.

The raised hackles is part of being a dog. General rule is raised to shoulders is aggression and raised to tail is fear. A fear aggression can look like confident aggression. However, most dogs are raised to be friendly, so confident aggression is rare for the average owner.

Most of the behaviors sound due to inadequate socialization, so I recommend a set of modified puppy parties to get her used to as many people and situations as possible, to reduce the fear aggression. Look into Bite Inhibition training. If she gets scared and bites someone, you want her trained so that she doesn't break the skin. ideally, you want her not to bite, but that can take a few months. And, introduce her to well-socialized dogs, especially Labs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts