Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am considering adopting this puppy from a shelter, but i have a 7 year old son puppy.jpg and want to be sure (or as sure as I can be) about the dogs background before I commit. I know he's a mix but not sure of what. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
do you see any lab in there? i am worried about the shepherd/rottie part with no lab to even things out. we have lots of kids and other people coming over and a shepherd rottie might not do too well w that....

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
do you see any lab in there? i am worried about the shepherd/rottie part with no lab to even things out. we have lots of kids and other people coming over and a shepherd rottie might not do too well w that....
Rotties are excellent companions. Labs and Rotties have about the same potential to freak out an destroy the world without proper upbringing. (upbringing meaning training, socialization, etc. the whole shabang)

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Bsl at its best. If you socialize your dog, and start training early you will have no issues.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
labs are generally stupid from my experience (no mean to offend anyone, as i said, just from my experience)
Your experience, which apparently is very little on the subject. Labs are extremely intelligent. My mom's labs knew sign language.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Hi all, I am considering adopting this puppy from a shelter, but i have a 7 year old son View attachment 33283 and want to be sure (or as sure as I can be) about the dogs background before I commit. I know he's a mix but not sure of what. Thanks in advance!
He looks to be mostly Rottie, though if he is, don't let that scare you. If brought up correctly, Rotties can be amazing, loving, very loyal dogs that are great with kids. They are no more likely to turn on you then a Lab.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
He looks like a rottie to me. I don't see shepherd, though it's hard to tell at this age.

You have to socialize, train and exercise dogs. No amount of lab will "even out" failing to socialize, train and exercise your dog.

As to stupid labs, um, no. Labs are remarkably intelligent dogs. They are goofy and puppylike into old age, but stupid, no.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
labs are generally stupid from my experience (no mean to offend anyone, as i said, just from my experience)

I am offended! I once had a black lab (RIP Chipper, who lived to be 14 1/2 years old!) that taught himself to fetch a ball he'd drop at the top of a hill as it rolled down. Chipper did it repeatedly, so it was a learned behavior to entertain himself. He also taught himself to sled down a snowy slope alongside my son and his friends. He threw himself on his side and slid down. At first we thought he'd slipped and fallen, but he did it repeatedly, and seemed to be having a great time! I'd say that was pretty smart!

To the OP, I see Rottie in that pup - he's adorable. Rotties need a strong pack leader, but with proper raising, they can be awesome dogs!

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
OP: Please don't go by the Dogs 101 vid, that show was notorious for bad information.

As for your pup, well labradors, even though it is not common, can come in black and tan. Could be Lab and Rott, or could be no Lab at all, time will tell. And I agree with others it does not matter if the dog has rott in it, you must train and socialize the dog regardless. Lab traits WILL NOT even out the dog, labs can be human aggressive much like any other dog can.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Labs were not bred to be guard or police dogs, they were bred to be hunting dogs, water retrievers to be specific. They do not have the temperament nor should have the temperament required for that kind of work. They can be very good at detection work, but I am sure that is not what was meant by police dogs.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
As for the people defending against my statement about labs, i did say i wasnt meaning to offend anyone, but in comparison to the rotts, and german shepards ive had, labs are generally stupid. Its why rotts and shepards are used as gaurd and police dogs 99% of the time vs labs. Most labs seem to have adhd to me haha
Rotties and Shepards are common police dogs due to temperment NOT intelligence. Not that I place much stock in the 'dog intelligence' rankings but labs usually rank highly in those because they are generally very bibbable dogs. They do tend to be goofy and silly late in life, sometimes all their life, but that doesn't mean they lack intelligence.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
yeah they dont have the intelligence and attention span for something as intense as police work that includes multitasking.
That is COMPLETELY idiotic, Turbo. I am not a fan of Labs, but they are HIGHLY intelligent dogs, and are not suited for police work because of their temperament. These are dogs that may have been bred for retrieving, but are also service dogs, and therapy dogs. I can bet you won't be able to place a trained police dog in with a disabled person and have that dog be able to tolerate their medical problems, and do almost EVERYTHING for them.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
yeah they dont have the intelligence and attention span for something as intense as police work that includes multitasking. They are trained to do singular things, like jumping off docks into water and fetching birds that are shot. My family members have had labs for duck hunting and goose hunting.. all its good for is swimming way out into lakes to get the birds we shoot. Other then that they are always hyperactive and hardly listen for shit.. but when they see a gun they are ready for action and obey all commands... its weird, like they have adhd as i said in a prior post.
Which explains why labs are one of the most common guide, SAR, and service dogs as well as yes, police dogs in detection work.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Thats cuz its trained for police work, you can train it for other things, and alot easier then you can a lab cuz rots and german shepards have calm temperments which allows them to sit and listen and learn faster vs labs are hyperactive.
You seem to have missed the point of what I said. You might be able to train a Shepherd or a Rottie for service work, but in the end it takes an intelligent, calm, loving dog to be able to do it. As many Labs that are BRED SPECIFICALLY for service work, of all the Labs coming out of SHELTERS that are being used for service work, it must say something to the breed. A 'stupid hyperactive and defiant' dog would not be able to be a service dog.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
im not debating its intelligence to do things, im debating its intelligence to learn multiple things vs a rott or german shepard..
labs can do anything but the work it requires vs a rott or shepard is more. thats all im saying.
That's called being versatile, not being unintelligent. Just because they're not "tough" enough for you, doesn't mean labs are automatically less valuable to the world.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
From you responses Turbo I'd say you simply aren't very experience with labs as a breed and have an inaccurate opinion of them. Owning a lab previously does not make you an experienced lab person either.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
not saying its not valuable or unintelligent, im saying in comparison to rotts and german shepards they arnt as intelligent and less valuable just due to the fact rotts and german shepards are easier to train and can do a hell of a lot more things due to their size, and in the rotts case, sheer power.

as for being tough, look at my avatar, i need a big tough dog to match my personality lol
You need one to match your physique, not your personality. You could have a poorly trained chihuahua if you wanted to match that.

This is a circular argument. You keep putting everything on size and strength. You don't seem to know very much about labs, so until you educate yourself on the breed, I see no point in arguing with you anymore.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Hi-Jack Interruption :)

I think this will make a good pet for your son, but understand, even a teenager is not responsible enough to remember to take care of a dog by himself.

I think we all agree that the pup looks to be part Rottie. In a couple of months, you may be able to see some Lab traits and/or some GSD traits.

In the extreme stereotype, Labs and Rotts tend to be strong, very tough dogs with a high tolerance for pain. From a family perspective, this means that they can take abuse from kids, as long as they aren't injured. Most Labs are very forgiving and I don't think that Rotts are over-sensitive either. A GSD brings a sharp intelligence to the mix. I believe that a Lab is easier to train, but that a GSD has more innate problem solving abilities. back to your pup.

The pup will nip you and your son. All puppies do that. Labs need something to chew, Rotts may keep playing, GSDs may get excitable. TRaining, socialization, and bite inhibition help tremendously!

1. Socialize the stuffings out of the dog. Expose him to a hundred people, 2 -3 at a time, at puppy parties, so that he is not scared of strangers.
2. Teach him Bite Inhibition early, so that teeth never touch skin. A 60 - 100 dog doesn't have to bite, he only has to growl and bark.
3. After he has all shot and is cleared by the Vet, socialize him with many dogs and cats (!!!), and other animals.
4. Download and read these two free books: http://www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads
5. Start training the dog as soon as possible. ALL dogs can learn Sit, Down, Come, Stay fairly quickly. This dog should also be able to learn hand signals as a young pup.
6. See if the pup likes water - Does he want to drink from the faucet or hose, does he play with, run from, or bite at water from a hose, does he like to wade in a $10 kiddie pool?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts