Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rescued a dog from going to the shelter in Sacramento
his name is Bubba I've had him for 2 weeks he's my first ever dog so I'm confused and need some help about some of his behaviors and if I'm doing the right things.

He's a Lab Pit Mix.

-First of all I learned that my Wife is very allergic to him so, hitch 1 he doesn't stay inside with us as originally planned. we keep him outside. I live in an apartment so the backyard is only 10 by 20 feet.

-He does play with my kids about 1 - 2 hours a day. I jog him for 15 minutes in the morning and walk him for 30 minutes in the evening.

-I thought he was skinny but I'm not sure he looks healthy except you can see his ribs a little through his skin. I'll post a picture when my camera's working.

-He seems very fearful of loud noises and sudden noises, but he's very outgoing to go up to strangers to be petted. and will play with any and all dogs. although when a fight breaks out in the dog park he runs and hides.

-He doesn't take treats like pupperoni I bought from the store. and he won't play with toys, the few that I've tried. he doesn't chase after any toys and he'll only eat dry food if its mixed with wet.

-He's never barked once which is odd. he's never showed aggression to anyone not a growl or anything even at my 3 year old who can test anyone. Ears are almost always back but tail is never tucked under unless he's really scared.

Any insight on what he needs or what I should start training him on would be greatly appreciated

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
He needs more walk time with you. Try an hour instead of 30 minutes and this is in all sorts of weather. He also really needs to live in doors with you. With your wife's allergies and for the sake of the dog, you might want to reconsider keeping him.

An outside dog is a problem in many climates. Sacarmento can get hot. Pits don't have a lot of hair so either cold or hot can cause problems.

I would also enroll in a beginner's obedience class. You will learn a lot and you will learn how to teach your dog basic commands.

One last thing.. when he is playing with the kids, I assume both dogs and kids are supervised by an adult? Accidental dog bites are easier prevented than fixed at the hospital later. I am not suggesting the dog is not good with the kids or that the kids are not good with the dog. It is just you have only had this dog for 2 weeks. Make no assumptions. You really do not "know" him and he does not "know" you yet.

You have only had this dog two weeks and he sounds like he is a nice dog. If you are keeping him (and maybe your wife can go for allergy treatments so the dog can live indoors?) you should be sure he is up to date on shots and is wormed. You need to take him to the vet and get shots updated, and take a fresh stool sample in to check for worms. Overall health check is in order including a blood test for heartworm.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
well we all love him alot including my wife she actually loves him more than me and my 3 year old would just die he's her best friend, but if you think we should take him to the pound I'd probably seriously consider it. He actually does have a lot of hair though being mixed. sheds alot too.

I got him up to date on all his shots and took him for a check up but the vet said he was fine. I didn't know about the worms in the stool sample though I might give that a try.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Is it possible for your wife to talk to an allergist and see if the issues of the dog allergy can be resolved and the dog could live with you indoors??

Does the dog have adequate shelter with cool shade and a place to go in if it rains or is cool or windy when he is in the yard? Plenty of clean, cool water? Dry place to go if it rains?

Here is the thing.. a dog living in isolation is going to be bored and neurotic after awhile. It is sort of like a prisoner in a cage. Some things are not of the intelligence or social behavior of a dog and can tolerate cages. Now this is not to say no one should kennel their dog.. a lot of dogs live in kennels but they spend a LOT of time (if cared for properly) being trained and worked.

A dog is a large committment in both time and years as well as money for the vet when and if things go wrong. I am glad you did have him vetted. Worms are a good thing to check for if you think he is a little thin.

As to the shedding.. a lot of that can be fixed by daily grooming with a Furminator or with a slicker comb. I have the King of Shedding dogs (German Shepherd Plush Coat) and daily brushing helps a LOT. Beyond that, good diet can help with shedding as well. I feed Evo but there are other good dog foods you can feed such as Canidae etc. I also give my dog a coat supplement which has helped with shedding.

If you all really love this dog then how can you better work things out for the dog? (this is a question you need to answer for yourself).

Just tossing out ideas... it is real hard to evaluate the dog or the situation in CA when living in NY! :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll talk to her about an allergist but, she takes enough medication already I don't know how well that would work. half is shaded half is in the sun he has a wading pool that I change every other day and a vented Very large dog house.

I'll try brushing him more see if that helps with the shedding. and buying different kinda dog food. there's so many different kinds I was wondering which one would be best anyway.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Here are something else I can give your FWIW.

My Mom is terribly allergic to cats.. but someone dumped a cat on her and she tried to take her and her little kittens (they only seem to dump preggo cats) to the shelter. No kill shelter so no room at the Inn. She tried to have them PTS for fear of a horrible end.. and of course novet would do that.

One by one the kittens vanished (fox) and Mom could stand no more and took in the cat, allergies and all. Kept her ever since. She REALLY loves this cat but man is she ever allergic. What she discovered was that vigilant house keeping with a Vacuum with a HEPA filter coupled with frewuent hand washing and limiting where the cat could go made the situation liveable. Mom is in her 80's and has had the cat for at least 4 years now... and Mom takes a lot of meds too. Once in awhile she will take and Over the Counter product like Clariton. Just tossing that out there since you said you all love the dog so much and that your wife loves him especially. Any tool to make it work is the tool you use when you have a pet you really love.

I don't know what dog food you are feeding. Most of what you can get in the supermarket is not so hot. I feed Evo and I get it from a feed store that has mostly pet products. There are other good ones.. Canidae I used to feed and it is a fine food... and there is Blue Buffalo you can get from Petsmart. I never tried Blue Buffalo due to reports of a lot of doggy Flatulence from some owners.. I don't need THAT. LOL

Your yard set up sound fine.. if you could find a way to split the time the dog is in the yard and the house that might help with the allergies too. IOW's in at night in a crate (never have the dog in the bedroom, bathrooms or kitchen to cut down on allergens), out for potty in the morning, back in for morning food, the out days in the yard but bck in for awhile in the evening... Something like that MIGHT work along with hand washing, vacuuming, and the occaisional OTC Allergy meds. Again.. just ideas and thoughts for you to ponder.

See, the thing is with dogs is they tend to sink their teeth into our hearts and the only time it hurts is when they let go.

If I think of anything else I will pass it along.

The training class is a good idea too. It is fun and the dog will learn and you will learn. You make new friends which is never bad and you have other people with dogs that you can talk to if you hit a snag. Good all the way 'round.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I am also allergic to dogs and I have never been without dogs. I think that once a dog moves into your home you sort of begin getting used to your own dog and the allergies begin to resolve themselves a bit. Some other things you can do are to make sure the dog NEVER goes into your wifes bedroom or sleeping area. Make sure the dog is bathed often. I use a shampoo called Miracle Coat and it helps me too. Wash things like blankets and such often too. You could keep dog restricted to the kitchen or some hard floored area of the home as well, that way you can more easily clean up any stray hair. also brushing dog often (outside) will help too.
It would be a win win situation for you and for the dog if you could make the indoor living work for you all. Good luck with that.

I agree with getting your pup into some basic obedience classes as well too.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
For the shedding: Get one of these.

It's called a curry comb. Originally for horses, but they sell them in some grooming places too. Takes the hair off of my short-coated lab mix like you would not believe.

I would, at least, keep the dog indoors and crated at night, and allow him inside for some part of the day in one easy-to-clean room. It is unfair for him to not be allowed inside. If you cannot let him inside at all, I think the right thing to do would be to find another home for him.

·
Registered
189 Posts
One more thing about the allergies is that a lot of times a person will get used to a particular animal's dander and be less sensitive to it with time. This is how I am with my cat.

I would guess that in your area there are more shelter animals than people wanting to adopt them (as in most). It would be a shame to have to give the dog up especially if you are already so attached. You will be doing this particular dog and your local shelter a big service if your wife can find a way to live with the allergies.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hi! You got some really good advice from everyone. And I hope that everything is going to work out for you and your new pup. I just wanted to comment on one thing you said:

-He's never barked once which is odd. he's never showed aggression to anyone not a growl or anything even at my 3 year old who can test anyone. Ears are almost always back but tail is never tucked under unless he's really scared.
My dog, Lucy, (adoped from a shelter) also never barked. As a matter of fact, we were very excited when we heard her bark for the first time - LOL. Now our 2nd dog, Lily, is a real barker. It makes us appreciate Lucy even more. (though now she usually joins in with Lily)

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Getting an air filter would help with the allergies too, as well as daily vacuuming with a vacuum that has a hepa filter. Washing the dog with a mild shampoo weekly (rinsing very well) and brushing daily can help a lot too.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
I'm glad you are getting such great advice here. I agree that with proper care of his coat and diet you may find your wife's allergies lessening over time. There are also petwipes you can buy to wipe down his coat after brushing to reduce the amount of dander that falls off him..it is more the proteins in his saliva and in the dander that is causing the allergies than the hair itself.

Regarding his behaviours:
Many dogs new to homes (especially from rescue) take time to adjust and show their true personalities (good and bad habits!) so it may be he just doesn't feel truly comfortable yet. Give him time and keep an eye out for changes in behaviour that may give you ideas about what you may need to work on in the future. He sounds like a nice, gentle boy and that is a great sign but please don't assume he will be fine until he settles in. This can sometimes take a few months to happen.

Definitely find yourself a good training class (positive reinforcement is my recommendation), having a trainer you can talk to, ask questions to and who can SEE what is going on with your dog at times is invaluable.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
In addition to a new dog not showing its true personality right away, it often takes them awhile to warm up to toys and treats. Many shelter dogs have never been exposed to such luxuries and don't even know what they are. I had to teach Alvin how to run after a toy by running after it myself. I'm sure the neighbors thought I was nutty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the advice guys ... we're gonna use this as an opportunity and we're going to move to a bigger place ... we'd been thinking about it for awhile but now we're gonna do it ... where there is a HUGE backyard and also lots of rooms that we can give "Bubba" access to.

as far as his training goes ... its going well he's starting to open up ... he won't play with any toys although I'll try playing and chasing the toys myself to see if that'll entice him. He's much more bold to come out although if people get too loud the tail will go under and he'll either hide under me or low crawl and try to pull me away from the area.

He also makes some people uncomfortable just simply because he's a Pit mix. Bubba was just sitting queitly watching the baseball game and this guy comes up to me and tells me about all the lawsuits I'll get if Bubba bites a kid ... he's never even barked before let alone showed any aggression. It kinda upset me cause we were in our own space quietly enjoying the game. Oh well anyways thanks for the advice guys.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Welcome to the world of "dangerous dog" ownership. lol Now it is up to you to prove the world wrong. Get Bubba into some classes and train and socialize him to being a Perfect Canine Citizen.
Glad to hear that you are moving to a home where Bubba will be allowed to live IN the home with you guys. I hope your wife just gets used to Bubba and doesn't have any issues. You have been given lots of ideas as to how to deal with the allergies until then. Can't wait to hear more about Bubba and how it is going.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts